Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,392 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a job in Syracuse and I have to be there ASAP! I'm having trouble finding an apartment though. I looked at a place at Brookwood on the Green in Liverpool yesterday and it seemed good. Can anyone tell me about it? Also, I wouldn't mind living in the city but I have NO idea what areas are good, safe, etc. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 03:54 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Honestly, I would stay away from all of the complexes in that area off Morgan Rd - there's at least 15 of them back there. While some of them are nice and decent, they are ALL connected... and some of them have alot of problem tenants. Many of them also accept Section 8 and PA as well.

You'd really have to give more info on what you're looking for to get good info. Price? Bedrooms? Location in relation to work? Pets? Amenities? What else you'd like to be close to? Etc...

As for complexes, I have heard good things about Clayton Manor, Eagles Pointe Townhomes, and Ravada Hill. Most downtown loft apartments are in secure buildings with the majority being in decent areas... but those are alot pricier than any complex. www.apartmentfinder.com will give you lots of options

Old 09-08-2011, 05:02 PM

I'm looking for a one bedroom apartment with at least some utilities included, like heat and hot water. I'm trying to stay relatively close to work, I don't want more than a 10-15 minute drive max. I've been looking in Liverpool, North Syracuse, and Manlius. My budget is really limiting unfortunately. I can't really spend more than $650-700 a month thanks to a not so nice salary. I know I have tried Clayton Manor, Grenadier Village, and Longbranch Park which seem like the better ones but they don't have anything available until at least October 1st and I need something right away. Thanks for your advice!

Old 09-08-2011, 06:08 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
You might like places in Camillus/Fairmount or a couple of complexes around Onondaga Boulevard near Westhill High. Both areas are in the Western suburbs. Can't forget places like the Meadows and High Acres in Onondaga Hill.

What are you looking for in a community/neighborhood?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:03 PM

I'm looking for a place where I'd feel safe and comfortable. I would also really like a place where I have the opportunity to socialize with other tenants because I will be living alone. I can handle some noise but definitely nothing crazy. Thanks for the tip on Camillus, I've found a few that look promising.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You might like places in Camillus/Fairmount or a couple of complexes around Onondaga Boulevard near Westhill High. Both areas are in the Western suburbs. Can't forget places like the Meadows and High Acres in Onondaga Hill.

What are you looking for in a community/neighborhood?
Good suggestions

I really like the Fairmount and Camillus areas of the city myself and enjoyed my time there a few years ago.

In particular, these apts were in a good location that I always felt safe in:
Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - Syracuse & Surrounding Areas - Westwood Apartments

I know the management company, Longley Jones manages lots of properties, most of them middle of the road or down right "cheap", but our OP IS looking to stay under $700, and this is one of their higher end complexes I believe.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas1988 View Post
I'm looking for a one bedroom apartment with at least some utilities included, like heat and hot water. I'm trying to stay relatively close to work, I don't want more than a 10-15 minute drive max. I've been looking in Liverpool, North Syracuse, and Manlius. My budget is really limiting unfortunately. I can't really spend more than $650-700 a month thanks to a not so nice salary. I know I have tried Clayton Manor, Grenadier Village, and Longbranch Park which seem like the better ones but they don't have anything available until at least October 1st and I need something right away. Thanks for your advice!
Not sure where your job location is, but living in Liverpool will give you more traffic to deal with getting back toward downtown.

One thing I really liked about Camillus was how easy it was to get to downtown and with so much less traffic

Old 09-09-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not sure where your job location is, but living in Liverpool will give you more traffic to deal with getting back toward downtown.

One thing I really liked about Camillus was how easy it was to get to downtown and with so much less traffic
Good point about traffic, as there are various ways to get to Downtown from that area.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:57 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Another Longley Jones complex that I've heard good things about is Covered Bridge, which is right outside the Village of Liverpool. Heat and hot water are included, but I believe all other utilities are covered by the tenant. One bedrooms are $650

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - Syracuse & Surrounding Areas - Covered Bridge Apartments

Old 09-09-2011, 07:31 AM

Places in the city of Syracuse like Nob Hill and Rugby Square could work. A couple of the Downtown high rises, studio apartments on West Genesee Street, a couple of complexes right by Nob Hill and perhaps some buildings on Burnet Ave. in Eastwood closer to East Syracuse could possibly work as well. Here are some more websites: http://www.suttoncos.com/management/search_results.php

MapsKrieg - Syracuse, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale

Syracuse, NY Apartments and Houses for Rent, Local Apartment and Home Rentals, House, Townhome, and Condo Rentals, Vacation Rentals, Roommate and Sublet Classifieds ::

Downtown Syracuse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area