Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:23 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times

Advertisements

Of all the places I have lived, I have never had allergies until I moved to Syracuse. I really don't want to have to go to the doctor and be put on prescription medications, so I just wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions. Basically all that happens to me is that my eyes water and my nose runs. It's very irritating to have to deal with it during social situations - constantly wiping my eyes/nose with a tissue, explaining to people that NO nothing is wrong I just have allergies, etc. It's embarrassing because sometimes my eyes will be bloodshot and it looks like I'm on some sort of drug - I definitely don't want to give off that impression. This has only happened to me during the spring and fall seasons - I was fine all summer until a few days ago when it came back full on.

Through the past 2 years, I tried OTC Claritan and Zyrtec - neither of which worked. Today I tried OTC Allegra and that didn't work either. Are there any other options or should I just go see the doctor?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 07:33 PM

93,169 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I would check with a doctor just in case. I know what you mean, as I was having trouble breathing out of one side of my nose about a week or so ago.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:31 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,227 times
This time right now - during the past week or two and for the next several - is generally one of the worst for people with allergies to plant materials in the air. For some reason it's even worse this year than most other years. My GF and sat on the deck the other night after being inside with filtered air from the AC. Her sinuses got blocked completely within ten minutes from being outside. It is worth checking with a doc to see what works best for the type of stuff that's floating around at this time of year.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:13 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
Like you I never had any trouble til moving to this area. My doctor makes a comment about how they must be bothering me everytime I go.

For me he recommends just dealing with them and moving on. I'm not a doctor so I won't tell you what to do but I wouldn't be surprised if you were told the same thing.

I do not know what about living farther West in NY is the cause. I'm only from 50 miles to the East.

Just one of those things I guess.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:25 AM

Thanks everyone! Sounds like I may be SOL I still haven't met with a primary care physician since I moved here - I'll have to find one and make an appointment so we can talk about this stuff.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:36 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
A Neti pot would be the simplest. I typically get a really bad sinus infection at the turn of the seasons (like now, lol) and just deal with it. Builds my immunity for winter and the stuffiness is dwarfed. You can also just use one of those blue baby bulbs ($1) and squirt warm saltwater up your nasal passages. When I have a sinus infection, I use lime juice. My mom and I have chronic sinus infections and grew immune to medications (like Sudafed) long ago... the lime juice is a painful but quick, cheap and easy solution that our PCP suggested. Very, very strange sensation- that fizzling you can feel and hear at once. lol

Alternatively- http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natur...-Remedies.aspx

Old 09-12-2011, 07:21 AM

Well my sinuses don't really get stuffy at all, more like my nose runs a bit. The thing I'm most concerned with is the bloodshot/watery eyes. But I do love my neti pot when I get colds! That thing really comes in handy!

Old 09-12-2011, 08:46 AM

93,169 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I'm wondering if some Visine would help a little bit.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,227 times
Oh man... bloodshot eyes.... those were the days... oh to be young(er) again ;-)

Old 09-12-2011, 03:32 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
When I lived in Syracuse I was on Rhinocort prescribed by my doctor. That was the only thing that worked for me and my symptoms were very similar to yours, except I did get sinus problems as well. And an allergy/sinus/headache medicine combo (Walmart brand) helped with that. Here is a home remedy web site with some solutions: Home Remedies for Allergies and homemade cures for Allergies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area