Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:25 PM

14 posts, read 26,819 times

Advertisements

I am a black 20 something medical processional from a beautiful neighborhood in NYC (Riverdale/Bronx). My husband is a 20 something financial analyst from a Japanese island and working from home. We have no kids, and we are planning to stay for only a few years. I have gone to Syracuse once. (This summer). I was very surprised with the visible poverty throughout the city, and feeling in my gut that I was not safe, and I have lived in some dicey NYC and Boston neighborhoods over the years. Granted the driver mentioned he was taking a short cut through some bad neighborhoods.

Can anyone recommend some areas to live that are walking neighborhoods, (Urban or Suburban) with sidewalks that are at least relatively safe? Ideally with some restaurants and pharmacies around. Or any nice areas that is close by. I know it is cold up there, but driving everywhere is a little too much for me.

Are there Asian/Subcontinental supermarkets? If anyone can can recommend and apt complex or rental house that has hardwood floors is a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 05:26 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaara View Post
I have gone to Syracuse once. (This summer). I was very surprised with the visible poverty throughout the city, and feeling in my gut that I was not safe, and I have lived in some dicey NYC and Boston neighborhoods over the years. Granted the driver mentioned he was taking a short cut through some bad neighborhoods.

I know it is cold up there, but driving everywhere is a little too much for me.
Okay- you've got me. If your one visit to Syracuse gave you a poor impression and you don't like to "drive everywhere", why choose to move there... a city where the only form of public transportation is the bus?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:51 AM

Default re to Proulxfamily

Thank you for your response. With all due respect, I mentioned that I did not see much of Syracuse and the driver took me through bad neighborhoods as a shortcut to my destination. I have met many people that visited Syracuse and have had a different and better impression, so I know the place can't be that bad. The limited number of people that I met seemed very geniune and nice which I love, but I am not sure where they live.

Ultimately, I am moving for a career opportunity. I don't know much about Syracuse. I did not know that it is a public transport city. Even from what I have read online many people suggest living in the Suburbs. I have seen one neighbood in Syracuse in the Suburbs, but there were no sidewalks which I thought might make my husband I gain weight.

If anyone can suggest any nice neighboorhoods (with or without sidewalks) in Syracuse area that will take me no longer then 20 mins to get to Community General that would be great. I will be spending much of my time there.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:05 AM

93,157 posts, read 123,754,884 times
You would probably like the East side neighborhoods of Syracuse and DeWitt. There is Pan Asian Market on Headson Drive off of Erie Boulevard. There are others in other parts of the city/area too. You would be close to Syracuse University and LeMoyne College as well. Hospitals on University Hill aren't far away either. Just like any city of a decent size, there are good and bad neighborhoods.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:09 AM

By the way, if you drive to work, you could take Seneca Turnpike across the Valley section up to the Hospital.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:14 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You would probably like the East side neighborhoods of Syracuse and DeWitt. There is Pan Asian Market on Headson Drive off of Erie Boulevard. There are others in other parts of the city/area too. You would be close to Syracuse University and LeMoyne College as well. Hospitals on University Hill aren't far away either. Just like any city of a decent size, there are good and bad neighborhoods.
There really isn't another place near those markets, is there? And, scaling it even further to within walking distance of a pharmacy, you're really only left with the lower part of the University area... around East Genesee. Which isn't the best area. Not somewhere I'd be AFRAID to live... but I would definitely be on alert.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:03 AM

Around Barry Park, you can reasonably walk to Westcott or to the plazas on Nottingham Road. They would probably have to take CENTRO to the Pan Asia Market. There's also Maplewood Gardens apartments just inside the town of DeWitt near Nottingham Road. They might be able to find Asian foods that they want at Tops too.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:04 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,996,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
There really isn't another place near those markets, is there? And, scaling it even further to within walking distance of a pharmacy, you're really only left with the lower part of the University area... around East Genesee. Which isn't the best area. Not somewhere I'd be AFRAID to live... but I would definitely be on alert.
To a more minor extent you can accomplish most of that in the Nottingham Plaza area (Nottingham Rd. near the Dewitt line). There're two Rite Aids (one full size, one smaller) in the 300 and 600 blocks of Nottingham Rd. - one at Tecumseh, one next to Tops (nee Peters) at E. Colvin.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post

Thank you. Great info! What about Lincoln Park, Hawley-Green area, Liverpool, or or other Syracuse areas. Also, can you or anyone else recommend any suburban neighborhood that take me no longer then 20 mins to get to Community General. Feel free to recommend any areas that you like. I am open minded, I very little about Syracuse.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
To a more minor extent you can accomplish most of that in the Nottingham Plaza area (Nottingham Rd. near the Dewitt line). There're two Rite Aids (one full size, one smaller) in the 300 and 600 blocks of Nottingham Rd. - one at Tecumseh, one next to Tops (nee Peters) at E. Colvin.
Yup and the Co-op market is close enough, with a few restaurants in the area too. A bus ride to Wegmans in DeWitt or to other businesses on East Genesee Street or Erie Boulevard East isn't too far away either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area