U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:03 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,654,675 times

Advertisements

Commercial vehicle ban on Onondaga Lake Parkway - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

Ok, I don't get this "ban." Trucks are already banned on the Parkway and obviously that's not working. What does this mean exactly? Put up more signs that say "Commercial Traffic Banned." Because we all know the signs are NOT working! Unless they have a guy standing at the fork of Onondaga Lake Parkway and Old Liverpool Road, I don't see how this is going to be any sort of improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 07:42 AM

838 posts, read 1,432,652 times
100% correct. I think there are about 12 signs warning of the bridge height and they begin about 1/2 to 3/4 mile before the bridge. They really believe someone will miss those but see the sign saying "no commercial traffic?"

Old 09-15-2011, 08:27 AM

580 posts, read 1,016,522 times
To be fair, the state is also installing a laser detection system immediately.

There's also actual momentum to change the SR-370 designation to Old Liverpool Road and turn the Parkway over to the county (something the county has resisted for years).

Much of the problem stems from the state DOT's past treatment of the Parkway as an expressway. Widening 370 in Liverpool at one end and installing an expressway interchange with I-81 at the other end had led to a situation in which vehicles enter a non-freeway whose engineering suggests a freeway.

I still think the easiest quick fix would be to immediately and permanently change the speed limit on the Parkway to 30 miles per hour (and actually enforce it). Then the state could install the "headache bars" that are deemed unsafe for roads with freeway speeds. I'm not sure why this option is ignored.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:01 AM

Do you realize what the laser system is going to do? If a truck is too tall, it activates more signs! A reader sign will flash that the truck is too tall. I'm sorry, but if the 20-something signs, flashing lights, and bright orange strip don't deter people, yet another flashing sign isn't going to do squat. And yes, they will dispatch the police to intercept the tall vehicle - but what happens if the police don't get there in time? The truck will hit the bridge! I think they need to add a RR arm that would be activated if a truck hit the laser - that way they would HAVE to stop before the bridge.

While I think lowering the speed limit to 30 is a good idea, I doubt it will ever happen. The Parkway is the quickest way to get from the Village to 81... reducing the speed will tack on extra commute time. Plus there are no side roads, stop lights, etc that would really warrant a 30mph speed limit.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:46 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,698,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Commercial vehicle ban on Onondaga Lake Parkway - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

Ok, I don't get this "ban." Trucks are already banned on the Parkway and obviously that's not working. What does this mean exactly? Put up more signs that say "Commercial Traffic Banned." Because we all know the signs are NOT working! Unless they have a guy standing at the fork of Onondaga Lake Parkway and Old Liverpool Road, I don't see how this is going to be any sort of improvement.
These bans work downstate pretty well - and, unlike height restrictions, give something you can immediately be pulled over for. Guessing whether or not you're over-height is a lot harder than determining whether someone's driving a commercial vehicle or not.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:42 PM

2,863 posts, read 3,526,755 times
How are pick-ups handled??

All my trucks have had commercial plates.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
How are pick-ups handled??

All my trucks have had commercial plates.
Just saw the newscast on Channel 9. They said that if your vehicle is designated commercial, it is banned from the Parkway. Doesn't matter if it's a pickup truck or an 18-wheeler - if it's commercial, it is banned.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:02 PM

IIRC there is a way to put car plates on a pickup but it came with special rules I wasn't interested in. If I had a pickup and drove that road I would look into it.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:39 PM

Update

DOT defines 'commercial' vehicle; will be banned from Onondaga Lake Parkway - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

Old 09-19-2011, 04:52 PM

What pick-up trucks qualify for passenger class plates?

A pick up truck that is not changed and has an open bed can qualify for passenger class plates if the truck:

is used only for non-commercial purposes, and
has an unladen weight of 5,500 lbs. or less (the unladen weight of your pick-up truck is listed on the title certificate and on the door sticker), and
does not have any business advertisements on the truck.

ANd,

Can I get a passenger class registration for my pick-up truck and drive the truck on parkways?

You can get passenger class plates for a light-duty pick-up truck that has an unladen weight of 5,500 lbs. or less.

See form MV-114 (Information For Pick-Up Truck Owners) to get more information.

The agency that controls a parkway decides if pick-up trucks with passenger class plates are allowed on the parkway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area