Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 05:56 PM

149 posts, read 458,193 times

Advertisements

Weird question I know. As some of you know we just recently relocated to Syracuse from Florida. In case anybody doesn't know there are lots of Lizards in Florida. Tonight we just found a baby lizard climbing on our curtains. My first reaction is that the little fella must have come with us from Florida some how. That seems unlikely, but then again, I didn't think that there were lizards up here. So, anybody have an idea?

We are holding on to him in case he made the trip with us. If that's the case we'll try to keep him alive until we can get back down to FL and release him. If he's a local we'll just let him go. I could not find any helpful info through a web search...but I'm kind of short on time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 06:02 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
Anything is possible I guess but I grew up in Florida and lizards are everywhere and I have NEVER seen one in NY.

NY has newts and salamanders but I'm guessing you know the differance.

Unless your a vegetarian I'd just go ahead and kill it. Or give it to a cat.

Last edited by SeanĀ®; 09-28-2011 at 06:20 PM..

Old 09-29-2011, 05:47 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
None anywhere near this part of the state, per a quick Google search: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/administr...df/lizards.pdf

I've seen salamanders at my Grandpa's old house, about 45 minutes southeast of Syracuse, but not since then. I've never seen a lizard anywhere but the zoo. lol

PLEASE don't let it outside. Kill or keep it as a pet. Bringing creatures that don't belong here can cause huge issues to the local eco-system.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:01 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,386 times
It would never survive out in the wild here. Looks like you have yourself a new pet.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:25 AM

93,171 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I wonder if the zoo would take it in?

Old 09-29-2011, 08:44 AM

655 posts, read 2,327,837 times
Default Stowaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmj View Post
Weird question I know. As some of you know we just recently relocated to Syracuse from Florida. In case anybody doesn't know there are lots of Lizards in Florida. Tonight we just found a baby lizard climbing on our curtains. My first reaction is that the little fella must have come with us from Florida some how. That seems unlikely, but then again, I didn't think that there were lizards up here. So, anybody have an idea?

We are holding on to him in case he made the trip with us. If that's the case we'll try to keep him alive until we can get back down to FL and release him. If he's a local we'll just let him go. I could not find any helpful info through a web search...but I'm kind of short on time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi madmj,

I lived in a very rural area when I was a young kid. There were streams and woods and lots of wild areas. Being a boy, I was always exploring everything in nature. I used to build small rock dams in a creek that ran past our house and sometimes there would be Newts or Salamanders under these rocks when I'd move them to make the dam in the small creek. Sometimes I'd find them under fallen dead decaying tree trunks out in the woods too.

As an adult I lived in the Orlando-FL area for a period of time too. I remember the Lizards (and bugs and tree frogs and snakes and etc.) that lived around the Orlando area and I don't think that they look the same as our NYS Newts & Salamanders. I've never seen/known of/found NYS Newts or Salamanders inside any NYS home I've ever been in.

So I think there was a "stowaway" in your belongings/vehicle when you moved from Florida to New York. I think that's the most plausible explanation for your new family pet. I suppose there's a slight chance that your Lizard "escaped" from a pet store but I doubt that possibility.

It's a bad idea to import/release nonnative animals into any ecological environment where those animals are foreign to that area. We've all heard about the Asian/African/South American snakes that unthinking/irresponsible exotic pet owners have released into the wilds of Florida. Of course, your new little pet would probably be killed by some bigger animal if the Lizard was released into the NY State wilds OR it would probably not survive our cold snowy winters/cold temperatures (unless it found a warm home basement to hide-in/live-in). There's a Brown Snake that reproduces extremely prolifically (? like rabbits ?), lives on the island of Guam and authorities fear that this snake will find its way aboard a plane or ship to Hawaii and ultimately to mainland U.S. .. Authorities say that these snakes are found everywhere (night & day) in Guam on fences, in trees, around/in vehicles, everywhere; sounds gross and a real problem.

You will have to decide whether your visitor returns to nature in Florida OR it becomes your new pet OR the end. Its easy for those little lizards, those Florida tree frogs, the bugs, etc. to stowaway and have a free trip to other States when vacationers return home.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 09-29-2011 at 09:00 AM..

Old 09-29-2011, 08:52 AM

149 posts, read 458,193 times
Thanks to all for your replies. I figured that there was zero chance it was a local but I wanted to ask before I signed the adoption papers (meaning I'm going to have to buy it a new home/food/habitat).

It's definitely not a newt or sally. I've had snakes and lizards as pets growing up in FL so no biggie. I would never kill him/her on purpose....Also, I'm very aware of the dangers of releasing foreign plants/animals in to new ecosystems (see:Python;Florida;Everglades) and I would never do that. But this little dude wouldn't last another month even if I did.

So anyway, thanks again. Maybe I'll update w/ some pics of my new tagalong.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,786 times
Default Lizards in Syracuse NY

Hi,

Interesting question, but important for people who care about lizards.

Anyway, the lizard you described is most likely from Florida, as in-house lizards are almost impossible to find in Upstate New York e.g., Syracuse or Rochester etc. (I have been through both Florida and Rochester NY).

If you post picture of that lizard, then It will more helpful.

thanks

American Cruiser

Old 01-23-2013, 12:50 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,386 times
since it was posted over a year and a half ago, I doubt there will be pictures posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area