Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 06:45 PM

406 posts, read 1,450,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Can someone explain to me why we would possibly care about Trader Joe's when we have Wegmans?
Different animals, entirely. Wegmans is the best large supermarket, period. Traders is a limited size, limited selection market with some excellent products that are very reasonably priced. I for one love the coffee (finally something Sean and I agree on), the nuts, frozen meals such as the Pad Thai, and the whole grain pretzel nuggets. We're happy enough that they are going to Rochester, and would be overjoyed if they moved anywhere in this vicinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 06:44 AM

257 posts, read 750,814 times
We have Trader Joes on Long Island where I live. Certainly worth the trip!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:41 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,227 times
Quote:
Can someone explain to me why we would possibly care about Trader Joe's when we have Wegmans?
Sean already said it and I'll pile on. If I make a trip to buy some spcecofroc items that I stock up on every now and then... specialty salsa, dried fruit and buts, specialty crackers, cheeses, cured meats, various types of chocolate, imported pasta, and yes - even fruit, meat and pother perishables... I can save 35% to 50% (or even more) over Wegmans prices. In some cases TJ's has items that Wegmans simply doesn't carry. They are NOT a substitute for a full line full service grocery store but they don't pretend to be. Until or unless they put one in Syracuse I'll find an excuse to go do things in Rochester a couple times each year and stock up.

I think that with Wegmans being here we really don't need a Whole Foods but TJ's is an entirely different thing.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:42 AM

60 posts, read 109,820 times
Quote:

Not everyone likes Wegman's. I personally can't stand the place. Way too big, takes forever to find items, etc.
I consider Wegman's similar to Walmart- trying to put everyone else out of business by carrying every product under the sun.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 AM

715 posts, read 2,508,493 times
While I agree that this area doesn't need (and will probably never get) a Whole Foods [due to Wegmans dominance, among other things], having shopped at both extensively, Whole Foods quality beats out Wegmans any day (e.g., Wegmans chicken salad tastes fake and rubbery (IMO) compared to Whole Foods (large chicken chunks, less mayo, tastes real). That is just one example, but I can name more.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:57 AM

93,165 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumseig View Post
Not everyone likes Wegman's. I personally can't stand the place. Way too big, takes forever to find items, etc.
I consider Wegman's similar to Walmart- trying to put everyone else out of business by carrying every product under the sun.
At least it is local. I actually go to the Wegmans in East Syracuse or on the North Side, where both are smaller than the newer/remodeled versions. I don't mind those Wegmans locations as well, to be honest.

I think it is a matter of time before the Syracuse area gets a TJ's though.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
OK! Explanation received! Price is definitely not one of Wegmans' strong points.

And honestly? Wegmans has started to annoy me with their pushy, aggressive placement of their own brands. I used to not care, but now I do. Example: Chobani yogurt. Upstate NY product. Everyone loves this stuff. They can't keep it on the shelves. Or rather, they COULD keep it on the shelves, if they hadn't decreased the amount of Chobani they put out so they can push their vastly inferior new Wegmans Greek yogurt brand. (It doesn't even taste remotely the same, so I don't know who they're kidding.)

Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 AM

93,165 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
OK! Explanation received! Price is definitely not one of Wegmans' strong points.

And honestly? Wegmans has started to annoy me with their pushy, aggressive placement of their own brands. I used to not care, but now I do. Example: Chobani yogurt. Upstate NY product. Everyone loves this stuff. They can't keep it on the shelves. Or rather, they COULD keep it on the shelves, if they hadn't decreased the amount of Chobani they put out so they can push their vastly inferior new Wegmans Greek yogurt brand. (It doesn't even taste remotely the same, so I don't know who they're kidding.)
I guess you can hit up Price Chopper or Tops for Chobani and it probably would be cheaper(at Price Chopper anyway).

Old 10-18-2011, 10:02 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,227 times
Quote:

I have friends who shop for their whole family (I do bachelor shopping) and insist that Wegmans prices are competitive for all of the everyday stuff. The TJ price advantage is not just relative to Wegmans but also to all the other big grocery chains.

And I totally agree about their irritating practice of pushing their store brand placement. The water crackers were the first place I noticed it. They added their store brand version at about $1 per box less... then completely dropped the original Carr's brand six months later (as if no one would notice or complain.) They ended up bringing back the Carr's. Although they are pricey there is a distinct and noticeable difference. That being said... if Carr's are $3.79, an "okay" but slightly inferior Wegman's brand is $2.99 and Trader Joe's has ones identical to Wegmans for $1.29... I'll opt to save the $2.50. But to go to an inferior product for a savings of 80 cents? Life is too short.

I've seen them do this with pasta sauce, yogurt and so many other things. I get the Chobani at Sam's Club when I"m there or at Price Chopper if Sam's is not convenient.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,386 times
Price Chopper always has the largest selection of flavors of Chobani in stock.
I hate Wegmans and will never return because I have seen too many instances of unsafe food handling in their meat department. I take that back. I will go to Wegmans for their Ultimate Chocolate Cake, but that is all I will buy. That cake will have me making a deal with the devil and going to a Wegmans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area