U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2011, 12:00 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,949,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
At least it is local. I actually go to the Wegmans in East Syracuse or on the North Side, where both are smaller than the newer/remodeled versions. I don't mind those Wegmans locations as well, to be honest.

I think it is a matter of time before the Syracuse area gets a TJ's though.

I've been to every Wegman's in Greater Syracuse except the Pond Street and Western Lights stores. The Wegman's in Auburn is unique due its central downtown location that attracts an interesting mix of demographic groups from Auburn's inner city, more affluent East Side, Skaneateles, Owasco, etc. The Auburn store is probably one of the few mainstream supermarkets in downtown area in Upstate New York.

My favorite Wegman's is in Fairmount. The stairs leading to a second floor eating area overlooking the cafe are a nice touch. Parking at Fairmount and DeWitt can be difficult, though.

Absent TJ's, Syracuse has some stores with more limted options that include organic products and health concisious foods, including:

1. Green Planet Grocery - 3514 W. Genesee Street, Fairmount
http://www.gpgrocery.com/

2. Mustard Seed Natural Food Market - 1st & Bridge Street, Oswego
http://www.mustardseedoswego.com/

3. Earth's Own Natural Food Market - 8015 Route 57, Liverpool (in front of Seneca Mall)
http://www.livingnaturally.com/retai...E737E8A5D2B7AD

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 10-18-2011 at 12:16 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,393,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think it is a matter of time before it happens. A good location could be the Midtown/Lower University Hill area near the Center of Excellence and Bio Tech Center.
Good choice ckh, the area is growing and a TJ's along (or near) Connective Corridor would be a real plus for the urban center. A TJ's might be a good anchor within any mixed-use development SUNY Upstate is proposing around the CNY Bio Tech Center. I am not sure if it would give Syracuse Co-op a run for its money or compliment it though.

Armory Square might be another location to consider, esp. with the Pike Project, the Landmark expansion and the WCNY developments coming on line that will attract more people to that end of downtown.

I know we focus on the urban core, but I think a second TJ's might do well up in Clay. I would prefer to see one in the downtown/university hill area first!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:50 PM

32,002 posts, read 38,095,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Good choice ckh, the area is growing and a TJ's along (or near) Connective Corridor would be a real plus for the urban center. A TJ's might be a good anchor within any mixed-use development SUNY Upstate is proposing around the CNY Bio Tech Center. I am not sure if it would give Syracuse Co-op a run for its money or compliment it though.

Armory Square might be another location to consider, esp. with the Pike Project, the Landmark expansion and the WCNY developments coming on line that will attract more people to that end of downtown.

I know we focus on the urban core, but I think a second TJ's might do well up in Clay. I would prefer to see one in thethe downtown/university hill area first!
Good point about Armory Square and it would give Downtown a grocery store, as well as being close to the Connective Corridor stop at the Warehouse.

Rolls, I like the Auburn Wegmans and it is a mainstream grocery store that fits in nicely with that location. If you go back to Auburn, the homes near the HS and Emerson Park are pretty nice. Ithaca's is similar, but the difference is the location on Elmira Road on that city's South Side. Western Lights is nice and gets a mix of folks skewing more toward the middle class and up crowd from nearby neighborhoods.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:32 PM

2,421 posts, read 2,158,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post

Absent TJ's, Syracuse has some stores with more limted options that include organic products and health concisious foods, including:

1. Green Planet Grocery - 3514 W. Genesee Street, Fairmount
Green Planet Grocery

2. Mustard Seed Natural Food Market - 1st & Bridge Street, Oswego
Mustard Seed Natural Food Market

3. Earth's Own Natural Food Market - 8015 Route 57, Liverpool (in front of Seneca Mall)
Earth's Own Natural Market & Cafe, Liverpool, NY
Just wanted to add to this list - there's also Natur-Tyme in East Syracuse

Natur-Tyme - Your Shop in Syracuse for Discount Vitamins,* Nutritional Supplements, Sports Nutrition, & Books on Health Issues

I was in there once and impressed with their selection - BUT even the people that work there indicated to me that Wegman's was cheaper and sometimes even had more to offer in their natural/organic section

Old 10-18-2011, 03:14 PM

2,629 posts, read 1,708,007 times
I stopped at Price Chopper on the ride home and I looked for that cheese and those crackers. I'm not really in love with Price Chopper but without a car yet its near work and I like my food fresh so its handy. My favorite store was the old Tops before they left. The converted P&C's don't work for me, reminds me of how filthy and disgusting P&C was<insert puking face>. Really miss Tops.

To me Wegmans and Price Chopper are super expensive. I'm always stunned people shop there. But both chains, more so Wegmans, are good at putting stores in well off areas so yuppies don't have to look at EBT scum. I agree with the thinking but hate wasting money so shop at Walmart during off hours. I mean seriously its baking time of year so I been setting in supplies and pure vanilla is like 6 bucks for 2oz at Wegmans or Price Chopper, Sams sells the EXACT SAME BRAND for 8 bucks a pint.

On private label stuff don't kid yourselves about how its made. None of these chains make there own stuff. The maker of the exact name brand you like may not be the maker of that store brand but it might be. Its always worth a try. I think alot of people would be surprised what rolls down the same lines. If you think its bad here try Florida. Wegmans is a tiny little chain with 75 stores, 2/3's of which are tucked away in Western NY. Publix has 15 times as many stores spread out through the whole state and people think the Sun raises and sets by Publix. Sometimes I'll kinda lean over and say you knows thats made in NY right??

Price Chopper din't have water crackers that I could find. They did have that sliton cheese with raisins for 15 bucks a pound. I didn't have the nut to try it.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:26 AM

686 posts, read 862,271 times
Price Chopper has the Carr's Water Crackers but you have to look carefully to find them. Stilton is an English blue cheese. Don't know if it's really any better than other blue cheeses but like it. Wegman's has various blue cheeses (whole not crumbled) that range from $11 to $20. Price Chopper and Tops - at least the ones I frequent (Erie Blvd and Nottingham Rd respectively) have limited cheese selection and are very pricey. I LOVE aged Gouda but it's $15 - $18 per pound most places. During the pre-Christmas season I sometimes find aged Gouda and also Maytag Blue (a fine Amercian blue cheese that is usually as pricey as Stilton) at Sam's Club but they don't stock it year round.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:07 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,838,261 times
Quote:
To me Wegmans and Price Chopper are super expensive. I'm always stunned people shop there.
Don't kid yourself... the other chains also have expensive prices - just not every week. They do bait and switch with their pricing - something that's affordable one week will be outrageous the next. Wegmans' prices are high, but they are consistent.

People go to Wegmans for the experience. The staff is friendlier and more helpful, the stores are more pleasant (if insanely busy sometimes). P&C was always a horrible experience. The staff were mostly the sullen teenagers who couldn't get jobs at Wegmans, IMHO, and their stores were always freezing and smelled like fish. I admit I haven't checked out Tops yet.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:51 PM

32,002 posts, read 38,095,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Just wanted to add to this list - there's also Natur-Tyme in East Syracuse

Natur-Tyme - Your Shop in Syracuse for Discount Vitamins,* Nutritional Supplements, Sports Nutrition, & Books on Health Issues

I was in there once and impressed with their selection - BUT even the people that work there indicated to me that Wegman's was cheaper and sometimes even had more to offer in their natural/organic section
There's a Health Food Store on South Bay Road in North Syracuse, but the name escapes me.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:53 PM

2,629 posts, read 1,708,007 times
P&C had more then sullen employees. That place was disgusting. They are gone now so I guess I'm not giving up any secrets, they were a filthy nasty disgusting outfit. The way they handled food makes me wanna puke just thinking about it. If anyone here ever ate anything from there your lucky you ain't got all sorta illnesses. Back when they were around I would have jumped in Hong Kong harbor before eating anything from them. Please be assured that then and now they are the only disgusting place I have seen, now that they are gone nationwide your fine.

The awesome Tops are gone from CNY. They are out of Buffalo and pulled out of this area like 10-12 years ago. In Western NY I'm sure they are still awesome. The ones around here now are just converted P&C's.

The lack of weekly specials are why I prefer Walmart. Just lower prices, period. If they sell it they will have the best price, sometimes alittle and sometimes alot. The only reason I ever shop anywhere else is other reasons like Price Chopper is super handy. Wegmans used to be for a real good loose Earl Grey tea but its imported and I found a place thats grown in the USA that I prefer. Tops was for meats. Now that the Syracuse Sams finally has a butcher department they are by far the best place to buy meat. The bakery at the Syracuse Sams still sucks though. Price Chopper is pretty good, Tops was THE BEST. Wegmans is alright. East of me Hannaford is great for all of the above except price.

Trader Joes will really round things out nice for me if they come.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:46 PM

55 posts, read 44,756 times
Tea that's grown in the USA? Are you sure about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area