U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:21 AM

54 posts, read 41,217 times
Speaking of Armory Square, how is the Urban Outfitter's store doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 07:27 AM

30,849 posts, read 35,931,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumseig View Post
Speaking of Armory Square, how is the Urban Outfitter's store doing?
I know when the students are here, it does fine. It seems to slow down a bit when they aren't, but you still see folks there.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:21 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,313,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Its not like TJ's listens to me or anything but I can say I'd be STUNNED to see one in Armory Square. Area is way to dead, they open stores to make money not save areas. I have seen TJ's in downtown areas but the areas were already busy when they opened.

I don't know the University Hill area but wouldn't it be most college kids and adults just there to work?? If so I don't think that will be the spot either.

Dewitt is perfect for several reasons my favorite being its handy for me.

I would love, make that LOVE, to see a TJ's in New Hartford. That area does fit the look and feel of most of the TJ's I have seen but I think its to small. If I was a betting man I would bet against NH getting one which sucks for me.

It seems you have elliminated all possibilities except Dewitt, here is my take on your comments:

"Its not like TJ's listens to me or anything but I can say I'd be STUNNED to see one in Armory Square. Area is way to dead, they open stores to make money not save areas. I have seen TJ's in downtown areas but the areas were already busy when they opened."
  • Armory Square is NOT "too dead" and it does not need TJ's to save it, it is developing just fine w/o it. Also, there are a number of new developments in the works or underway, including WCNY Broadcast Center, recently completed OBG hq, a proposed Marriot, the Pike Development which will add 76 new residential units (not to mention more units coming on line), the Creekwalk was recently completed that is a major attraction, the Connective Corridor just recieved the final funding to complete the second phase to the Warehouse from East Genesee Street, the Landmark, etc. Everytime I visit Armory Square, it is extremely busy. As the Near West Side and the Inner Harbor developments come on line, a TJ's may be a win-win.
"I don't know the University Hill area but wouldn't it be most college kids and adults just there to work?? If so I don't think that will be the spot either."

• According to a recent news article about the Connective Corridor, there are 47,000 people working or attending classes on the university area. There too development is taking shape, i.e. recently completed Center of Excellence, CNY Biotechnology Research Center under construction and the proposed Loquen Crossing development that will is estamated to create thousands of jobs and attract additional residents to that segment of downtown. I think a TJ's along East Genesee Street would be a great location.
"Dewitt is perfect for several reasons my favorite being its handy for me."

• I have no problem with Dewitt as a location, its proximity to Fayetteville and Manlius would attract a willing demographic to its other stores. Personally, I think two TJ's in metro Syracsue would work. Antother possiblity could be rt 31 in Clay.
"I would love, make that LOVE, to see a TJ's in New Hartford. That area does fit the look and feel of most of the TJ's I have seen but I think its to small. If I was a betting man I would bet against NH getting one which sucks for me.[/quote] "

• I think TJ's would move into metro Syracsue before any location in the Utica/New Hartford area. Heck, they do not even have a Wegmans or an Aldi's yet! Though I hear they are working on a Aldi's in New Hartford according to a buddy of mine in Utica.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:51 PM

2,547 posts, read 1,572,974 times
Wegmans only competes in Western NY and NH has Hannafords so no need of Wegmans. The NH main drag does have a Aldi's but its over the line in Yorkville so doesn't show up.

I like Armory Square ok and have prolly been 30 times in the last year. But I have never seen maybe a half a dozen people there. They must hide when they know I'm coming. I would shop at a TJ's in Armory Square but not very often. Parking is a pain down there, not bad if I'm gonna walk about and buy coffee but if I got stuff to carry it would suck. Also have to pay to park which would **** me off if I just wanted to go to the store. I think DT Syracuse has a long way to go and needs to start with some smaller bodega type places before they start worrying about landing a fairly major national chain.

When I go downtown I have to pack like for safari. From memory DT has a couple hotdog stands in the Summer, a jewerly store, a place that sells burner cell phones, a Rite-Aid and a couple coffee shops. If there was a need for anything it would be met, most likely by Koreans or Pakistanis.

The rt 31 area would be ok too. I hate driving in that clusterflock but would do so for a TJs. Maybe come in on the Thruway then wander around abit and go home through Fayetteville.

But again its not like they are asking me.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:20 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,313,499 times
Quote:
Wegmans only competes in Western NY and NH has Hannafords so no need of Wegmans. The NH main drag does have a Aldi's but its over the line in Yorkville so doesn't show up.

I like Armory Square ok and have prolly been 30 times in the last year. But I have never seen maybe a half a dozen people there. They must hide when they know I'm coming. I would shop at a TJ's in Armory Square but not very often. Parking is a pain down there, not bad if I'm gonna walk about and buy coffee but if I got stuff to carry it would suck. Also have to pay to park which would **** me off if I just wanted to go to the store. I think DT Syracuse has a long way to go and needs to start with some smaller bodega type places before they start worrying about landing a fairly major national chain.

When I go downtown I have to pack like for safari. From memory DT has a couple hotdog stands in the Summer, a jewerly store, a place that sells burner cell phones, a Rite-Aid and a couple coffee shops. If there was a need for anything it would be met, most likely by Koreans or Pakistanis.

The rt 31 area would be ok too. I hate driving in that clusterflock but would do so for a TJs. Maybe come in on the Thruway then wander around abit and go home through Fayetteville.

But again its not like they are asking me.
I can see where Dewitt, Fayetteville, and Manlius makes sense for you. No one may be asking you (or any of us), but they may be listening.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:07 PM

580 posts, read 604,194 times
Trader Joe's doesn't place stores with an eye toward accommodating tourists from thirty miles away - it's not destination retail; it's just a grocery store that would serve residents and employees of the neighborhood.

Midtown may be a good fit.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
Trader Joe's doesn't place stores with an eye toward accommodating tourists from thirty miles away - it's not destination retail; it's just a grocery store that would serve residents and employees of the neighborhood.

Especially once the Bio Tech Center complex and the apartments at the old Armory get finished.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post

This is exactly true and why I'm not sure Syracuse will be a good fit for TJ's. TJ's is not a cheap store, they sell good stuff for cheap. If someone is used to buying coffee at Wegmans there eyes will pop out of there head at the price. But if they have been buying at say Smiths they will think they are getting a steal.

So it takes a fairly large group of people with a little jingle in the pocket to make it work. This area is so sprawled out that almost everybody in the entire Metro would have to be willing to make the drive weekly. I really can't see that happening.

I've got a whole list of stores I'd like to see open in this area and so far 5 Guys is the only place from my travels thats come to this area.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
This is exactly true and why I'm not sure Syracuse will be a good fit for TJ's. TJ's is not a cheap store, they sell good stuff for cheap. If someone is used to buying coffee at Wegmans there eyes will pop out of there head at the price. But if they have been buying at say Smiths they will think they are getting a steal.

So it takes a fairly large group of people with a little jingle in the pocket to make it work. This area is so sprawled out that almost everybody in the entire Metro would have to be willing to make the drive weekly. I really can't see that happening.

I've got a whole list of stores I'd like to see open in this area and so far 5 Guys is the only place from my travels thats come to this area.
This doesn't sense given that two thirds of the people in the metro live in Onondaga County and there is enough money in the area to support a store, if not two. Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if one lands in New Hartford eventually as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-10-2012 at 06:23 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 06:24 PM

Household income for Syracuse is 25K. I don't think thats exactly TJ's target demographic.

Oneidas is 35K which while much better still isn't spot on.

Hell my own household is 85K and I'm not sure we are even the target.

This is a very poor area. Sure some people are very rich but they can only eat so much.

TJ's model is rapid turn over of product in a small footprint. I do not believe this area can support that.

Trust me on this, I wanna be wrong. I don't think I am but this is one time being wrong would make me very very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area