Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 01:01 PM

580 posts, read 1,173,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumseig View Post
The best (and most consistent) burger I have had is at Ale n Angus, right across the street from the War Memorial. In my opinion it hands down beats all the others, although I haven't yet tried the Blarney Burger.
I've been meaning to try that place for ages; from the outside (and their website) it always struck me as the sort of place that would serve frozen (or Sysco) burgers. I fully intended to get down there this past summer; I worked three blocks away and they were running some ridiculous summertime anniversary special ($2 beers and $5 burgers, if I recall).

You've given me hope; I'm putting Ale n Angus back on the short list.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:53 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,112 times
The GF and I are trying Blarney Burger tonight. I'll post back to report.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,112 times
Verdict: the Blarney Burger is very good. Not the absolute best burger I have ever had but very good. generous portion of fresh ground beef. We both had them cooked to medium and served with lettuce, tomato and onion. I had onion rings for the fries and she had fried mushrooms. Both of the sides were above average but not truly stellar. For the two burgers, two sides and a diet cola it came to $12.50 with tax. A burger alone is $3.50. It is definitely very much a neighborhood bar atmosphere - not a restaurant with a bar. there's a few step up from the bar to the pool table, the half dozen or so tables are in an area just behind that, and the ordering/serving window is at the back. I don't get burgers out very often. My current "best burger" reference point (outside of fancy restaurant burgers that are $10 - $12 with a side dish) is Shake Shack in NYC (I have not tried Five Guys yet.) I think Blarney Burger compares favorably to Shake Shack. I don't like the blarney's bun as much but they serve a slightly larger patty. Overall... if you don't mind dining in a bit of a bar atmosphere... I recommend the Blarney Stone.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:39 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,210 times
Just out of curiosity, does the Syracuse area have a lot of old, stone houses? Or is that more of a Pennsylvania thing? The one nice thing about this area is an abundance of old (old meaning like 18th century) stone houses that at least this state has been pretty good about preserving. I like to photograph these homes, and I was wondering if these are prevalent in the central NY area. Here is a recent one I took a picture of, from Northampton County PA, circa 1723.

Last edited by Phish Head; 02-11-2012 at 02:02 PM..

Old 12-30-2011, 01:14 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
Just out of curiosity, does the Syracuse area have a lot of old, stone houses? Or is that more of a Pennsylvania thing? The one nice thing about this area is an abundance of old (old meaning like 18th century) stone houses that at least this state has been pretty good about preserving. I like to photograph these homes, and I was wondering if these are prevalent in the central NY area. Here is a recent one I took a picture of, from Northampton County PA, circa 1723.
You'll find them in the old villages but, not being a buff in that era of homes, I don't know what dates that would be. I know there are several in the southeastern villages.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:37 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,065 times
The Village of Liverpool isn't quite that old - it was incorporated in the 1840's I believe. But there are several gorgeous circa 1800s houses in the Village - my aunt lives in one of them. The biggest ones are found on Sycamore Street. I live in a historic house as well although it's not too great to look at lol

Old 01-01-2012, 08:01 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,618,743 times
Quote:
The area has few homes that go back to the early 1700s, however there are some built in the late 1700s that are still standing. The architecture style is similiar but without the limestone facade. Most of the homes from that era are either traditional brick or wood. Since traveling to the Mercer County, NJ, Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley areas on a semi-regular basis, I have taken a liking to the homes depicted in your photo.

In the Syracuse area, I have noticed some homes quite simliar to the one pictured in the less developed areas south of Camillus and Fairmount like Split Rock and Taunton (Onondaga, Split Rock, Cedarvale and Howlett Hill Roads) as well as in rural areas just outside the villages of Marcellus and Skaneateles. Small hamlets in southwestern Onondaga County like Mandana, Marietta, and even Skaneateles Falls have some properties fitting the bill. I would also check out Fabius, Tully, and Pompey to the southeast of the city as well.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:17 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,210 times
Default So, which NFL teams does Syracuse follow?

If you had to give a percentage, how would you say the following teams break down, by the amount of fans:

NY Giants
NY Jets
Buffalo Bills
New England Patriots
Steelers?
Others?

This area of Northeast PA is probably 50% Eagles, 35% Giants, and 15% Stillers. Sadly, not many Jets fans here.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:03 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
If you had to give a percentage, how would you say the following teams break down, by the amount of fans:

NY Giants
NY Jets
Buffalo Bills
New England Patriots
Steelers?
Others?

This area of Northeast PA is probably 50% Eagles, 35% Giants, and 15% Stillers. Sadly, not many Jets fans here.
Largely Bills and Giants. I'd say 40-45% for both, with most of the rest being between Jets, Patriots, Eagles and Steelers. We do get Jets games on the radio and they have their training camp at SUNY Cortland.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:15 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Largely Bills and Giants. I'd say 40-45% for both, with most of the rest being between Jets, Patriots, Eagles and Steelers. We do get Jets games on the radio and they have their training camp at SUNY Cortland.
Yeah I am not a football fan AT ALL! But most of my friends are huge Bills fans. My sister, who lives in Troy, is a die-hard Patriots fan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area