Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:36 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Are you talking about me?
No, you live in the area (and present a reasonably balanced view), I think.

That Imj person pops up every time someone has something negative to say, dropping in on this board from her ostensibly very active and happy life far from Central New York. Among her gems:
1.) there is nothing to do in Syracuse, and
2.) people who wake up before noon on the weekends to go to the gym are old people and/or losers.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:38 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
My favorite is when they say there's nothing going on and then we give them list after list of all the fun things there are to do in the area. But no, they still claim there is NOTHING to do! This summer absolutely flew by because I was doing so much the entire time! Same goes for this fall - I can't believe it's almost winter already! I'm really looking forward to this winter since my friends are moving up here - I can't wait to show them all the fun things there are going on.

Some people are just unhappy. I'm glad I'm not one of those people!
Yeah, I know Syracuse isn't perfect, but I find myself way too busy to do all the things I'd like to do up here. There's no shortage of cultural and social options.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:57 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
2.) people who wake up before noon on the weekends to go to the gym are old people and/or losers.
Oh yeah, I'm the loser that hits the gym. I seriously LOLed when that comment was originally made in whatever thread that was. I would SO much rather get up early on the weekends to have the WHOLE day ahead of me with lots of fun stuff to do. But I also believe IMJ is still in that "party stage" where he'd rather get wasted and be hungover on the weekends. Man even when I was in my early 20s, I knew there was more to life than that.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:50 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times
I'm not a girl, I don't drink and I don't go to the gym and I haven't said there is nothing to do in this area.

But that is what I think. Its freakin Deadsville here. I'm not unhappy at all and its been a great year for me, several trips to the city, cross country drive, Florida last Winter and currently planning this years trip.

But as far as things to do in CNY that I find interesting?? Nothing, nada, zip zero zilch. CNY is a place to work sleep and get the heck out of every possible chance.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:37 PM

628 posts, read 663,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I'm not a girl, I don't drink and I don't go to the gym and I haven't said there is nothing to do in this area.

But that is what I think. Its freakin Deadsville here. I'm not unhappy at all and its been a great year for me, several trips to the city, cross country drive, Florida last Winter and currently planning this years trip.

But as far as things to do in CNY that I find interesting?? Nothing, nada, zip zero zilch. CNY is a place to work sleep and get the heck out of every possible chance.
This post is weak as hell. If your going to attempt to put down an area at least try to be legit about it, or at least be funny.

Bottom line: fun people have fun anywhere.

As for the other, legit posts, I agree that Syracuse has a ton to do and is a really great, affordable place to be. I do not agree with the notion that an upstate winter is somehow worse than a michigan winter. Especially given the sparseness of michigan's population, means a lot of unplowed back country roads. Upstate at least has population density on its side, keeping the roads/cities clean.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:47 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
This post is weak as hell. If your going to attempt to put down an area at least try to be legit about it, or at least be funny.

As for the other, legit posts, I agree that Syracuse has a ton to do and is a really great, affordable place to be. I do not agree with the notion that an upstate winter is somehow worse than a michigan winter. Especially given the sparseness of michigan's population, means a lot of unplowed back country roads. Upstate at least has population density on its side, keeping the roads/cities clean.
You are definitely right about the lack of plowing in Michigan, where I live now. When they cut the city budgets, plowing was cut, and having lived in Buffalo, Rochester and Minneapolis, I know about snow and how it should be removed. The cities in Michigan don't take winter seriously, the plowing operations are run by amateurs and not professionals, and they wait for 4-5" of snow to fall BEFORE even considering getting that city plow out. It's a joke.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post

This post doesn't make any sense, how can anyone possibly know what others interests are??

For me all the "fun" I have in CNY comes from my hobbies and family. Both would be with me wherever I go. The "fun" of other sites and events for ME requires and 4+ hour drive or flight.

I'm not asking for a list of what you find interesting, I've lived here since the 60's so chances are I am aware of it and have judged it covered in fail.

I've seen the lists of "things to do in CNY" here, in the paper and at work in the breakroom. Most things in CNY are VERY centered on alcohol. Most people prolly don't notice but I do. The obsession with alcohol is not nearly as strong in other states. Here its wine trails, the snowmobile trails run from bar to bar and I have never been to the Carrier Dome but I hear about there policies on alcohol all the time.

CNY activities revolve around hunting, NASCAR and sports, sports and more sports. Hunting and NASCAR I don't have anything against, just no interest. Sports I actively hate and don't associate with people who do, lord knows I have to listen to enough at work. Yankees vs Red Sox and Bills vs Giants are 90% of the talk I hear. Throw in 1% SU and there ain't much left to talk about and thats mostly if the new ESPN girl is hawt or not.

Used to actually be somethings to do here. Bowling allies in my area are all gone. Nice one in Syracuse, great one actually, but 60 miles (RT) is to far to drive to bowl. Some good shows used to come to the fairgrounds but they dropped the small cities and Syracuse was one of them. They still come to Buffalo sometimes but thats to far for what it is.

So you may have found something to do in this area and bless your little heart. But thousands of others maybe don't share your interest in wine and sports. Or snowmobiling or hunting. And thats ok. It doesn't make us bad people. This is a relocation forum, some people read "get drunk at an SU game" and can't wait to get here. Others think that seems rather a dull life. And the world keeps spinning.

Speaking of the Carrier Dome, I have always wanted to see the inside of that. But if they open it to the public I have not heard of it. I remember they had a Prince concert there back in about 83-4 but have not heard of anything since. I have heard it makes your ears pop.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:56 AM

93,318 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I think the previous poster is right and I wouldn't say that most things are centered around alcohol. Maybe it's the people you hang around, because you live within minutes of many arts based offerings, colleges/universities, festivals of all kinds, Parks, several beaches, outdoors based offerings, historical/cultural sites/museums and more.

Also, I'd dare say there are other states that have plenty of events where alcohol is flowing freely, if not more so.

I also don't get this going to the Carrier Dome to get drunk thing either. Most go to enjoy the events that are going on there.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:09 PM

Not the people I hand around with, no one I "hang out" with has ever been inside the CD. Just the guys from work joking about who had to be carried out and such.

Also many fun things to do in NY, Albany is a treasure trove, just CNY has nothing that interests me.

Last edited by Sean®; 11-26-2011 at 02:23 PM..

Old 11-26-2011, 03:17 PM

93,318 posts, read 123,941,088 times
[quote=Sean®;21866781]Not the people I hand around with, no one I "hang out" with has ever been inside the CD. Just the guys from work joking about who had to be carried out and such.

Also many fun things to do in NY, Albany is a treasure trove, just CNY has nothing that interests me.[/QUOTE]

That is a different story, as that doesn't mean that there isn't anything to do and people from work is a very small sample.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area