U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:36 AM

325 posts, read 912,304 times
Default Best and worse of living in Syracuse

We are considering a move to the Syracruse area for a job. I currently live in Michigan, and wondered what folks who live in NY think of the Syracruse area for living, and raising a family, and what the shopping and recreational areas are like. Thanks

Old 10-20-2011, 02:19 PM

97 posts, read 117,286 times
The cost of living is really the best in the nation. I'm not sure what it would compare to where you live, but Central New York is constantly being recognized for its low cost of living. Transportation wise, Syracuse is great. You can truly get anywhere in the region in 20 minutes, and our version of a traffic jam is like waiting at a stoplight compared to other cities. Our downtown stands in the center of the city & county, and the center city has everything for the region in regards to hospitals with 3 major ones on University Hill, colleges (SU, LeMoyne, Upstate, ESF, etc.), Carousel Center Mall. Recreation is located just to the north with Onondaga Lake Park, although there are great running trails in the City of Syracuse, with Thorden Park, and the soon-to-be-completed Onondaga Creekwalk among others.

Syracuse is the center of everything for Central NY, so people travel there from all over to shop. As mentioned earlier, Carousel has all the famous stored you will need, and the mal is currently expandind. When completed this Spring, the mall will be the 6th Largest in the U.S. Excellent grcoery stores exist in Syracuse & Central NY..have you ever been to a Wegmans? People from across the country rave about them and we have several across the city & suburbs. Also, the Regional Market on the Northside is fantastic for local produce grown right here in our region.

The economy has been tough on Syracuse just like everywhere, but there are several companies with job openings, if that is a concern for you. Especially the hospitals like Upstate, Crouse & St. Josephs, also larger high-tech firms like SRC are hiring depending on your education level.

Syracuse has much to offer. Although it is smaller than major cities, it offers many features of larger cities that may surprise you.

In regards to the bad, everyone talks about the snow, however being from Michigan, you know that can tend to be over exagerated. We are known to handle snow better than any other city in the country. We lack any professional sports, however Syracuse University Athletics are amazing and if you visit I highly recommend a basketball, football, or lacrosse game (depending on your interest). The school has a massive fan base in CNY and elsewhere in the Northeast. Also, our economy is not booming, however, the past decade has really led to a transformation and I truly see Syracuse on the rebound and beginning to defy the odds of other rust-belt cities.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:24 PM

97 posts, read 117,286 times
I apologize because I forgot to mention local schools, but like other cities, the Syracuse City school district struggles, but some actually are ranked very well, and may surprise you. It depends on the part of the city. The suburban schools are great. And the large majority are well regarded for their test scores, etc. Here are some basic suburban school districts...

North Syracuse Central Schools (where I graduated from)
Fayetteville-Manluis,
Jamesville-DeWitt
West Genessee
Westhill
Liverpool Central
Baldwinsville

and there are many more. There are also many private catholic schools like bishop Ludden, Bishop Grimes, and Christian Brothers Academy (CBA)

Old 10-20-2011, 02:29 PM

29,030 posts, read 32,988,763 times
Syracuse is actually similar to MI in terms of vibe, but with hills and valleys. While Syracuse has it's good and rough neighborhoods, I'd say it is more like say Kalamazoo in terms of crime rate. There are Parks and shopping throughout the suburbs and schools in the area are generally good. What part of MI would you be coming from, as I'm familiar with the state due to going to college there for a few years and having family in the Detroit area. Here's some information: Visit Syracuse :: Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Home » Onondaga County Parks

Onondaga County, New York

City of Syracuse - Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs

Carousel Center (http://www.carouselcenter.com/index.php?page=mobile - broken link)

COR Companies | COR Center, Clay NY

Google

COR Companies | Towne Center at Fayetteville, Fayetteville NY

Great Northern Mall : Home

Shoppingtown Mall : Home

There are other places to shop as well. Is there anything else you would like to know about the area?

Old 10-20-2011, 02:34 PM

2,428 posts, read 1,386,924 times
Worst is gonna have to be Winter. Michigan will give you some idea but Winter in Michigan compared to Syracuse is kinda like VVS Pop Warner against the Green Bay Packers. The worst city in Mi is several feet behind Syracuse.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html

Best for me is a super duper great job. Without that I would be gone in a second.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:07 PM

29,030 posts, read 32,988,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Worst is gonna have to be Winter. Michigan will give you some idea but Winter in Michigan compared to Syracuse is kinda like VVS Pop Warner against the Green Bay Packers. The worst city in Mi is several feet behind Syracuse.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html

Best for me is a super duper great job. Without that I would be gone in a second.
Not necessarily true, as parts of Western and Northern MI, including the Upper Peninsula get their share of snow. I'd dare say MI gets or feels colder because it is flatter and surrounded by water. It felt that way walking to classes in the winter.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:16 PM

654 posts, read 1,114,977 times
Default Syracuse ~ Great Qualities

Hello diamondgirl45,

Of the larger Upstate New York Cities: Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica/Rome, Capital District Cities(Albany-Schenectady-Troy-Cohoes), Binghamton; Syracuse is one of the 2 cities I like the best. I live in the Suburbs of Syracuse.

Metro Syracuse/Suburbs is rated as a: Best City to Raise Children/a Family, a Quality of Life/Quality of Living City, a Reasonable Cost of Living City, and Metro Syracuse is one of the Top 5 Most Affordable Home Buying Cities of the 100 Largest Metro Cities in the Whole U.S.

Metro Syracuse has MANY Lakes with Parks located VERY-CLOSE to the City: Onondaga Lake-Liverpool, big Oneida Lake-Brewerton & Cicero, Green Lakes-Fayetteville, Cazenovia Lake-Cazenovia, Jamesville Beach-Jamesville, Skaneatles Lake-Skaneatles, Beaver Lake-Baldwinsville, Cross Lake west of Baldwinsville, and Lake Ontario located 30-some miles northwest of Syracuse. The beautiful Finger Lakes Region is located south & west of Syracuse featuring Vinyards/wineries/clean water lakes/gently-rolling slightly-hilly green farmlands/scenic countryside views.

The Thousand Islands summer resort area is located north of Syracuse in the St. Lawrence River near Alexandria Bay-NY at the Canadian border.

The Adirondack Mountains/Lakes is located northeast of Syracuse. You should visit the villages of: Old Forge/Eagle Bay, Blue Mtn. Lake, Long Lake, Tupper Lake, Saranac Lake, & Lake Placid-NY. Lake George village & lake north of Albany is another beautiful summer resort area.

Shopping: Carousel Center Mall south end of Onondaga Lake, Great Northern Mall/Route 31 Multiple Shopping Plazas at the intersection of Expressway 481 @ Rt. 31 @ Soule Road Liverpool-NY(far north), Shoppingtown Mall/Erie-Blvd-East Shopping Plazas at Dewitt-NY. There are also shopping "strips" on Brewerton Rd./Rt. 11 at Cicero-NY, shopping strips on Rt. 11/Main St./Northern Lights Plaza at North Syracuse, and a shopping strip along West Genesee Street at Camillus-Fairmount-NY.

Nightlife/entertainment: businesses throughout the suburban areas. Armory Square popular several streets area in downtown Syracuse. Well known Dinosaur BBQ Restaurant in downtown Syracuse. Coleman's Irish Pub & Restaurant in Tipperary Hill neighborhood of Syracuse. And much more.

Recreation/Sports: A 35 mile-long Hiking/Biking/Walking Trail from DEWITT (Syr.) to Rome-NY; only travel as far as you care to go. Old Erie Canal Trail from Camillus (Syr.) westward for several miles. Swimming, picnicing, relaxing, etc. at many of the above mentioned Lakes. Several Snow Skiing Resorts south of the Syracuse Metro area. Several nearby countryside forested parks NOT associated with the above Lakes.

Festivals, events, attractions: Hot Air Balloon Festival-Jamesville, Taste of Syracuse Festival (try all kinds of food) outdoors downtown Syracuse, Fireworks Displays at several locations on several nights around the Independence Day period, Hydro-Plane Races on Onondaga Lake-Liverpool, Jazz Music Festival outdoors downtown Syracuse, Antique/Classic/Street Rod Car Show (7000+cars on display) at Fairgrounds, Antiques & Flea Market Show/Sale at Bouckville/Madison-NY, New York State Fair Aug-Sept., Octoberfest, Winterfest, and many more events.

I hope that this information gives you a good basic beginning view of Metro Syracuse qualities.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 10-20-2011 at 03:25 PM..

Old 10-21-2011, 06:48 AM

2,184 posts, read 1,779,338 times
I agree with what everyone has said already.

To me, the Syracuse area feels more like "home" than any other place I've lived. I also love the affordability and the fact that there is so much to do in the immediate area or within a short driving distance.

The worst? Definitely the winter. I dislike snow. But it's a small price for me to pay to be living in a location that I'm extremely happy in. I have fared extremely well in the winters since I've been here - something I was surprised at... I thought I was going to be miserable. I've accepted the snow as a fact of life and make sure to keep myself busy and continue doing fun things that I enjoy during winter time I'm hoping to get more into snowboarding this season too!

Old 10-21-2011, 11:01 AM

1,344 posts, read 918,328 times
The best: My job, no traffic
The worst: Weather, parking, small town politics

Old 10-21-2011, 11:41 AM

686 posts, read 771,501 times
Best: the people, beauty of the landscape, easy access to things (no traffic), ease of parking (yes - even downtown where I nearly always park for free and walk several blocks to reach my destination,) great ethnic restaurants and relatively low cost of living

Worst: the amount of overcast weather we receive, the length of our winters and the overall corruption of local politics and development
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area