Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:23 AM

83 posts, read 249,136 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My wife and I are thinking of going somewhere fun this weekend for a little getaway. Thing is, we are unsure of where to go. We are basically open to suggestions for anything fun, with a slight preference for city-ish activities. We've already been to NYC a number of times, and Boston may be too far to drive. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,227 times
1) Kingston Ontario: A surprising small city experience. It's got the feel of a larger city, plenty of good dining and historic buildings and a nice location on the water.

2) Burlington VT: eclectic, progressive, granola crunchy and eco-minded. I have not visited there but friends speak highly of it as a weekend destination.

3) Philadelphia PA: history, amazing old buildings, world class museums, great coffee and food... and a greater sense of of light, air and space than Manhattan.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:54 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
There were some threads not too long ago about shorter trips, so maybe these may give you some ideas:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...cuse-area.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...-one-tank.html

Boston is my absolute favorite city to visit, so that would be my first suggestion but you said that may be too far for you. I love Philly as well, but that's about the same amount of driving time from here (4 to 5 hours). Other ideas could be Buffalo/Niagara Falls, Lake Placid, Toronto.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:06 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,116 times
Montreal. One of the coolest cities on the continent, and only four hours from Syracuse.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:52 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Toronto could be another option. Sleepers could be Saratoga Springs, Nyack or sections of cities like Elmwood Village in Buffalo:
Elmwood Village - Buffalo New York - YouTube

Or Albany's Center Square neighborhood: Center Square Association : HomePage
Lark Street BID :: Welcome

Park Ave. in Rochester might work too: Park Avenue Rochester NY shops cafe restaurants

Ottawa is another great choice.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:19 AM

83 posts, read 249,136 times
I like the sound of Kingston Ontario and Montreal. Unfortunately, my wife just sent in her passport to update her name change on Monday, so Canada may be a no-go.

Park Ave. in Rochester sounds interesting. Is it like a small area, where you can walk around to explore the shops, cafes and restaurants? How is it like during this time of the year?

Old 11-15-2011, 09:44 AM

715 posts, read 2,508,493 times
Toronto is awesome....other options: Saratoga Springs, NY, New Paltz, NY, Hartford, CT, New Haven, CT, or maybe even a Hudson-River-Town such as Cold Spring, NY, or West Point, NY.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:27 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crease123 View Post
I like the sound of Kingston Ontario and Montreal. Unfortunately, my wife just sent in her passport to update her name change on Monday, so Canada may be a no-go.

Park Ave. in Rochester sounds interesting. Is it like a small area, where you can walk around to explore the shops, cafes and restaurants? How is it like during this time of the year?
Park Ave is similar to Westcott, but a little bit bigger and more yuppie, less hippy. You also have other areas close by in that SE Quarter of Rochester like: Welcome To Monroe Avenue

South Wedge - Rochester Wiki

Swillburg - Rochester Wiki

East End - Rochester Wiki

Cobbs Hill Park - Rochester Wiki

Upper Monroe Avenue Neighborhood - Rochester Wiki

Monroe Village - Rochester Wiki

http://notaba.org/

Here's a great guide: Rochester Neighborhoods - Rochester Wiki

Old 11-15-2011, 11:38 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crease123 View Post

Has her NY state driver's license been renewed recently? if so then she may already have the "enhanced" license that can be used in lieu of a passport for Canada to US border crossings.

Yes - Park Ave is an area where you can park and walk around to some cafes, shops and restaurants. The tour of George Eastman's home at Eastman House is worth doing and the International Museum of Photography is located there as well (adjacent to the Eastman House.)

You can even get NYC style coal oven pizza there - of a type not really found in Syracuse The Rochester NY Pizza Blog: Tony D's, Corn Hill, Rochester

Old 11-15-2011, 11:38 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,386 times
I haven't been yet, but I have heard great things about the Rochester Downtown Farmer's Market. City of Rochester | Public Market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area