U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 AM

56,259 posts, read 80,427,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I've looked into how to dress for one of these shows and frankly I don't make the cut.

Does sound like fun, I hope others here go and enjoy it.
What did they say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 06:55 AM

580 posts, read 1,013,746 times
Sean, I don't think that's the case - for shows like this, jeans aren't inappropriate.

That wouldn't be the case at some of their shows at Crouse-Hinds, but the campus shows are decidedly less formal.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 AM

838 posts, read 1,426,250 times
This is Syracuse not NYC. Jeans and a flannel shirt won't have anyone looking askance at Crouse College and even at a full blown symphony concert at the Civic Center I've been wearing black jeans and a turtleneck (no suitcoat, no suit, no tux, no tie) and was not out of place. "Black tie" events are extremely rare in Syracuse and are typically limited to big dollar charity fundraiser formal dinners.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:59 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,509,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What did they say?
I just Goggled it.

Quote:
Instructions

Things You'll Need
Cashmere Shawl
Evening Gowns
Evening Handbags
Formal Gowns
Men's Dress Shirts
Men's Dress Shoes
Men's Suits
Mens' Dress Pants
Sports Coat
Women's Dress Shoes
dresses and skirts
Consider the night. A season opener might bring out gowns and tuxes, as might a performance tied to a fundraising event.

Attend in nice dressy casual clothes at all other times. Men will impress in slacks, a fine gauge sweater and a sports coat. Women might pair a strappy sandal with a simple black dress or match a nice skirt with a lightweight turtleneck sweater.

Remain in your suit if you go straight from work to the performance. Men might remove their tie. Women might switch a conservative blouse for a satin camisole or beaded shell.

Leave the jeans and sneakers at home. Wear a simple dress shoe. Stockings are optional, depending on the dress.

Dress kids in nice, clean and pressed clothes that are reserved for special occasions

Read more: How to Dress for a Symphony Performance | eHow.com How to Dress for a Symphony Performance | eHow.com

Old 12-02-2011, 06:14 AM

Here's another concert: SU Symphony Band to perform Dec. 7

Old 12-02-2011, 06:15 AM

and another concert: SU Wind Ensemble to present concert Dec. 8

and more concerts: http://insidesu.syr.edu/2011/11/16/sube/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or