U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:47 AM

838 posts, read 1,426,065 times

Advertisements

I hope it's temporary but I suspect it's not. A scaffold has gone up around the tower of the original Carousel Center Mall and a hideous day-glo green facade is being added. I always thought that the original mall was aesthetically pleasing, as malls go. It was bad enough when they started changing the attractive teal green accents inside the mall to day-glo green and worse still when they built the prison like concrete box expansion. But now this? Drive by and tell me what you think. I think it's the most offensive, lowest class and most hideous thing that Congel has yet foisted on Syracuse. My guess is it's either some bizarre angle in his effort to retain "green bond" status or it's just his way of saying FU to the citizens of Syracuse. IN the words of Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now... the horror... the horror...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 06:50 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,961,934 times
I think it's his way of showing that "something is getting done" with those millions upon millions he's been essentially GIFTED.

Will people buy it? Hmph.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:49 AM

The project is nowhere close to meeting the criteria that it must in order to retain its Green Bonds. I believe the angle they'll peddle to get an exemption is that they will be the first shopping mall in the US in which all tenants must be LEED certified for their spaces. Even with that... they have conventional HVAC and the "wind power" units on the roof are little demo machines - each good to power a handful of low wattage light bulbs. If my recollection is correct they have met 50% or less of the necessary criteria. But leave it to Congel to bully and buy his way to certification.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:48 AM

382 posts, read 1,379,261 times
Anyone with a photo?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:34 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,632,741 times
I'm planning on hitting Carousel tomorrow evening to bang out some Xmas shopping... I'll bring my camera with me and see if I can get a pic

Old 12-14-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
If my recollection is correct they have met 50% or less of the necessary criteria. But leave it to Congel to bully and buy his way to certification.
LEED certification is VERY stringent. If it doesn't meet the necessary requirements, they absolutely will not certify the project. So no worries - he can't bully LEED accredidation

Old 12-14-2011, 04:57 PM

1,537 posts, read 2,208,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
LEED certification is VERY stringent. If it doesn't meet the necessary requirements, they absolutely will not certify the project. So no worries - he can't bully LEED accredidation
But he can buy it. EVERYTHING has a price.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
But he can buy it. EVERYTHING has a price.
My company is very involved with LEED certified projects. I HIGHLY doubt money could sway the USGBC.

USGBC: LEED (http://www.usgbc.org/DisplayPage.aspx?CategoryID=19 - broken link)

Old 12-14-2011, 07:41 PM

1,537 posts, read 2,208,750 times
I know a thing or two about LEED. I also think it is a bunch of BS. Everything has a price and I am not just talking about LEED.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:56 PM

I think the LEED certification is just a smoke screen to try to get an exemption on the Green Bonds. If they get that (the exemption) it will tell me for certain that someone has been bought off. If they don't get it I think we'll see them going back to court over and over on appeal trying to find a pliable judge who will rule in their favor. It could end up costing them an extra $122.3 millon if they have to convert to conventional bonds (if they can even find someone to do it for them at this point.)

From an August 18th 2011 Post Standard article:
Quote:
...Destiny tapped the program for $228 million in bonds in 2007.

The IRS notice came just a month after the cityís industrial development agency and Destiny USA sent the IRS a required report on the mall expansionís compliance with terms of the green bonds.

In the letter, which was written by Congelís lawyers, the company said it had not installed the major technologies promised in its application to the green bond program and might never do so. Nevertheless, it asked the IRS to allow the bonds to keep their tax-exempt status and to not impose a $2.3 million penalty on the company.

The promised green features of the mall expansion included a 45-megawatt electricity-generating plant running on fuel made from soybean oil and recycled cooking grease, enough solar panels to blanket six football fields and enough fuel cells to make 7 megawatts of electricity.

Loss of the tax exempt status of the bonds could be costly to the developer. A Destiny executive once estimated that the bonds would save the developer about $120 million over 30 years.
Internal Revenue Service audits Destiny's 'green' bonds | syracuse.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area