U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:24 PM

172 posts, read 771,006 times

Advertisements

I think some of you folks are misconstruing this piece of news.

Disclaimer: Cornell alum who does volunteer work for their alumni organization.

For one, Cornell has had a campus in New York (their medical school) for over a century, so it's not like they haven't had a long-standing presence in the city.

Secondly, the new campus is not causing some large section of the Ithaca campus to pack up and move. It's a campus for graduate students and doctoral researchers (incl. faculty) in engineering. The campus will be built over a period of 30 years. By Cornell's account, the number of people who will relocate from the Ithaca campus could be counted on two hands.

Thirdly, New York City is giving a $100 million incentive in the form on infrastructure improvements. NYC's goal is to catch up to Silicon Valley by landing more tech startups, and a great way to do that was to host a tech campus by a willing university. Stanford University (another top 15 school in the country and based out of suburban San Francisco, and near Silicon Valley) only dropped out of the competition at the last moment because Cornell landed a huge donation from an alumnus ($350 million --- on top of $600 million Chuck Feeney's already donated to the Ithaca campus over the past couple decades). Up to that point, they were considered the front-runners for the competition. I doubt anyone was afraid that Stanford might relocate because New York City is so much better than the Bay Area and neighboring Silicon Valley.

I love Ithaca, dearly. But for Cornell to compete with the top echelon of schools in engineering, it needs something of a presence closer to where the money is - MIT has Boston, Stanford has Silicon Valley, Cal Tech has Los Angeles. New York was offering, Cornell was willing.

So, I'd like to try and make it clear here that Ithaca is not doomed. There is no moving campuses, the NYC campus will be near-entirely an expansion of Cornell's student population and faculty. If someone wants to send their kid to Cornell, engineering or otherwise, they still have to go to the Ithaca campus. The new NYC campus will only an option for graduate students in engineering. If Cornell was relocating their tech programs, why would they be building a new computer science building on the Ithaca campus?

The biggest negative impact it could have on Ithaca is that alumni donations might be diverted. 23% of Cornell's alumni live in the NYC area, and people are more likely to donate to something in their backyard, rather than a campus 5 hours away. At least, this is the big concern that I've been pertinent to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 02:04 PM

1,668 posts, read 2,381,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarian View Post
I think some of you folks are misconstruing this piece of news.

Disclaimer: Cornell alum who does volunteer work for their alumni organization.

For one, Cornell has had a campus in New York (their medical school) for over a century, so it's not like they haven't had a long-standing presence in the city.

Secondly, the new campus is not causing some large section of the Ithaca campus to pack up and move. It's a campus for graduate students and doctoral researchers (incl. faculty) in engineering. The campus will be built over a period of 30 years. By Cornell's account, the number of people who will relocate from the Ithaca campus could be counted on two hands.

Thirdly, New York City is giving a $100 million incentive in the form on infrastructure improvements. NYC's goal is to catch up to Silicon Valley by landing more tech startups, and a great way to do that was to host a tech campus by a willing university. Stanford University (another top 15 school in the country and based out of suburban San Francisco, and near Silicon Valley) only dropped out of the competition at the last moment because Cornell landed a huge donation from an alumnus ($350 million --- on top of $600 million Chuck Feeney's already donated to the Ithaca campus over the past couple decades). Up to that point, they were considered the front-runners for the competition. I doubt anyone was afraid that Stanford might relocate because New York City is so much better than the Bay Area and neighboring Silicon Valley.

I love Ithaca, dearly. But for Cornell to compete with the top echelon of schools in engineering, it needs something of a presence closer to where the money is - MIT has Boston, Stanford has Silicon Valley, Cal Tech has Los Angeles. New York was offering, Cornell was willing.

So, I'd like to try and make it clear here that Ithaca is not doomed. There is no moving campuses, the NYC campus will be near-entirely an expansion of Cornell's student population and faculty. If someone wants to send their kid to Cornell, engineering or otherwise, they still have to go to the Ithaca campus. The new NYC campus will only an option for graduate students in engineering. If Cornell was relocating their tech programs, why would they be building a new computer science building on the Ithaca campus?

The biggest negative impact it could have on Ithaca is that alumni donations might be diverted. 23% of Cornell's alumni live in the NYC area, and people are more likely to donate to something in their backyard, rather than a campus 5 hours away. At least, this is the big concern that I've been pertinent to.
I totally agree that the Ithaca campus is not "doomed" and I am not suggesting that this is the beginning of the end for the Ithaca campus. I noted in my previous post that Cornell has had a substantial presence in NYC for years and its future in Ithaca is assured. I found it interesting that Mayor Bloomberg and the Cornell Chancellor felt the need to make reassuring statements about the future of the Ithaca campus, suggesting that some might read into the planned NYC development. Based on that, I wanted to point out that college communities (particularly in upstate NY) should not take for granted that a university will make all of its investments in that community and collaboration is the key. Places like NYC, DC and LA have huge resources (including Alumni) to lure investments their way. There are some residents in Syracuse and CNY who are a bit critical of SU and other colleges for some of the major investments they are making in the community.

I am also a BIG fan of Ithaca!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 12-21-2011 at 02:25 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 03:25 PM

6,993 posts, read 9,499,348 times
Cornell's expansion into NYC was mainly supply-side driven. If Bloomberg did not cooperate and offer generous incentives, Cornell would not have entered into the project. Another thing to note is that what Cornell is building is a graduate school which has links to the high tech industry, hence the need to be closer to where the commercial activity is. They are not building an undergrad campus.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:29 AM

4,244 posts, read 9,679,139 times
I have wondered why Cornell seems to have not as much spinoff industry in the Ithaca area as some other universities of its stature, even places with roughly equivalent location relative to major metros such as Virginia Tech, Penn State, and University of Iowa.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:18 AM

56,257 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I have wondered why Cornell seems to have not as much spinoff industry in the Ithaca area as some other universities of its stature, even places with roughly equivalent location relative to major metros such as Virginia Tech, Penn State, and University of Iowa.
True, eventhough Cornell is unique in terms of it's private/public component and does have a little bit of a presence in other places. You would think that it would be bigger than it is though. If you think about it, Cornell is really where the Ivy League, SUNY and Big Ten clash, in a sense, as it is also a land grant institution with SUNY ties. So, it really is a very flexible institution.

For those that don't know: Cornell University - Facts about Cornell - Statistics

Old 12-23-2011, 06:30 AM

4,244 posts, read 9,679,139 times
Even West Virginia University seems to have more spinoff growth, granted Morgantown is not as far from DC or Pittsburgh as Ithaca is from NYC or Buffalo.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:13 AM

56,257 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Even West Virginia University seems to have more spinoff growth, granted Morgantown is not as far from DC or Pittsburgh as Ithaca is from NYC or Buffalo.
Cornell does have a location in the Middle East: Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar - Home

I think that certain departments may expand into other places in the future. it may be tough to do so into Buffalo with UB there and that institution is trying to increase its reseach activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or