U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-26-2011, 05:23 PM

4 posts, read 5,724 times
Default Best small school districts within 30 min of Syracuse?

We will be moving to the Syracuse area within the next six months.

Ideally, we would like to buy a property either west or south of the city so that we can be closer to our parents who live in the southern tier region of the state. We would also like to find a country property with acreage so that we may one day own a horse or two. But the school district is essential - we really want to find a nice small district (2000 students or less) with solid academics and a good music & arts program.

We are open to driving 30-45 minutes into Syracuse to find the right fit. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 20 days ago)

30,285 posts, read 34,983,877 times
Districts like Marcellus, Skaneateles, Tully, LaFayette, Onondaga, Homer and Fabius-Pompey come to mind. Perhaps Weedsport as well. This list may help: Academic rankings of Upstate NY school districts

Here's more information: New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

https://reportcards.nysed.gov/view.p...=yes&year=2010

cnyrealtor.com | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.
CNYHomes - the Syracuse and Central New York Real Estate Source

Old 12-27-2011, 07:05 AM

Another school district that may work is Jordan-Elbridge. They have a Marching Band and it is another smaller SD that is more rural/small town in character. It isn't far from shopping in Auburn and in Camillus as well. http://jecsd.org/extra-curricular.cfm?subpage=112369

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-27-2011 at 07:15 AM..

Old 12-27-2011, 07:39 AM

Here's some more information as well: Marcellus School District

Music Home Page

Fine Arts

Tully School District

Fabius - Pompey School District

LaFayette School District

Onondaga Central School District

http://homercentral.org/academic/Arts/

Old 12-27-2011, 08:04 AM

Thanks for your replies. I read through a number of threads on this website that suggested larger suburban school districts for newcomers, but we are much more interested in small town living, which is why I posted my question. I appreciate all of your ideas.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingergirlmom View Post
Thanks for your replies. I read through a number of threads on this website that suggested larger suburban school districts for newcomers, but we are much more interested in small town living, which is why I posted my question. I appreciate all of your ideas.
If you don't mind me asking, what part of the Southern Tier is your family located in? I only ask, because it could possibly open you up to other possibilities in the area. Places east of Syracuse like Hamilton, DeRuyter, Cazenovia, Chittenango, Morrisville-Eaton, Stockbridge Valley or Canastota may work as well. West of Syracuse, districts like Moravia or Union Springs may be options as well.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:44 AM

My parents are in Elmira. We were thinking south or west because it would make the drive shorter. In reality, proximity to I90 or I81 would probably make most areas feasible. I would really like to keep the drive to my parents house less than two hours because their health is declining and I would like to visit them more often. We currently live near Buffalo and the three hour drive to their house is tough. Day trips are completely draining and we hardly see them in the winter. We're just concerned about the school situation and want the best fit for our elementary age child who is in panic-mode about the move.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:50 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,903,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingergirlmom View Post
We will be moving to the Syracuse area within the next six months.

Ideally, we would like to buy a property either west or south of the city so that we can be closer to our parents who live in the southern tier region of the state. We would also like to find a country property with acreage so that we may one day own a horse or two. But the school district is essential - we really want to find a nice small district (2000 students or less) with solid academics and a good music & arts program.

We are open to driving 30-45 minutes into Syracuse to find the right fit. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Fabius-Pompey... zip codes 13063, 13138, 13078 (bordered on Jamesville) and Tully - 13159 - which would be ideal for a downtown commute as it's set directly on I-81 and has a walkable village for every day living.

(eta: Elmira isn't known much as the southern tier, which is more like the southeastern quadrant between 81, the Catskills, Utica-Rome and the Hudson Valley/Capital District. Just wanted to clear that up for you, since you'll get somewhere further away than you need to be if you ask a realtor for a place in the Southern Tier. Elmira would be more Binghamton/Finger Lakes Region.)

Old 12-27-2011, 10:19 AM

(eta: Elmira isn't known much as the southern tier, which is more like the southeastern quadrant between 81, the Catskills, Utica-Rome and the Hudson Valley/Capital District. Just wanted to clear that up for you, since you'll get somewhere further away than you need to be if you ask a realtor for a place in the Southern Tier. Elmira would be more Binghamton/Finger Lakes Region.)[/quote]

That's interesting and something to keep in mind when talking to someone in Syracuse. I've never heard of Utica-Rome or the Hudson Valley referred to as the Southern Tier, but you learn something new everyday! Most of the people that I know in Elmira consider themselves to be in the Southern Tier (specifically the "Twin Tiers" as it relates to Northern PA) and not really a part of the Finger Lakes. I think it's just in the eye of the beholder, but something to keep in mind with people that might think otherwise. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:25 AM

686 posts, read 804,946 times
Marcellus or Skaneateles. Marcellus is perhaps a bit less snooty and property prices more affordable but the village of Skaneateles is a bit larger, more scenic and has far more in terms of shopping, dining etc. to offer. I don't know what the music & arts program is like in Skaneateles but my daughter was involved in chorus and drama at Marcellus from 1st grade up until she went to college and I thought their program was excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area