Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:00 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingergirlmom View Post
My parents are in Elmira. We were thinking south or west because it would make the drive shorter. In reality, proximity to I90 or I81 would probably make most areas feasible. I would really like to keep the drive to my parents house less than two hours because their health is declining and I would like to visit them more often. We currently live near Buffalo and the three hour drive to their house is tough. Day trips are completely draining and we hardly see them in the winter. We're just concerned about the school situation and want the best fit for our elementary age child who is in panic-mode about the move.
If you want immediate proximity to either I-81 or I-90, Weedsport(I-90), Tully(I-81), LaFayette(I-81), parts of the Onondaga Central SD(I-81) and Homer(I-81) would fit. Homer is the closest to your parents, but is still within a 30-45 minute drive from Syracuse. Tully is the next district north of the Homer SD and of course is closer to Syracuse. You could also look into the town of Preble, which has parts in either the homer or Tully SD's and is very rural. Town of Preble NY Official Web Site Homer is a little bit over on the 2000 student limit, with about 2200-2300 students. So, I don't know if that rules them out.

My only concern is with Route 13 in terms of plowing. Besides that, those two might be perfect in terms of being closer to your family, the good, small school districts that offer the arts and music opportunities and that also have homes that offer a lot or enough land for horses.

Also, if any of your children are into sports as well, Skaneateles and Homer offer the most opportunities in that regard. I believe that Jordan-Elbridge is the only district of those mentioned that has a marching band.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 02:49 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingergirlmom View Post
(eta: Elmira isn't known much as the southern tier, which is more like the southeastern quadrant between 81, the Catskills, Utica-Rome and the Hudson Valley/Capital District. Just wanted to clear that up for you, since you'll get somewhere further away than you need to be if you ask a realtor for a place in the Southern Tier. Elmira would be more Binghamton/Finger Lakes Region.)
That's interesting and something to keep in mind when talking to someone in Syracuse. I've never heard of Utica-Rome or the Hudson Valley referred to as the Southern Tier, but you learn something new everyday! Most of the people that I know in Elmira consider themselves to be in the Southern Tier (specifically the "Twin Tiers" as it relates to Northern PA) and not really a part of the Finger Lakes. I think it's just in the eye of the beholder, but something to keep in mind with people that might think otherwise. Thanks for the heads up.[/quote]

It's not that those ARE the Southern Tier... those are the quasi-borders surrounding it.

Old 06-11-2023, 04:23 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,427,541 times
Jordan, NY makes list of friendliest towns in Upstate NY.

https://www.worldatlas.com/cities/11...-new-york.html

Old 06-11-2023, 05:35 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Jordan, NY makes list of friendliest towns in Upstate NY.

https://www.worldatlas.com/cities/11...-new-york.html
How is this related to school districts? Jordan is in the Jordan-Elbridge SD, for those that don’t know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area