U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,814 times

Advertisements

looking for any info on the neighborhoods in Syracuse, NY. I am looking for housing and am torn as to where to look and how to know if it is a decent area. I looked at a place in Solvay... im scared of the hills in the snow.
I heard Hawley Greene is nice??? any advice??? I am a 35 yr old single mom to an 12 yr old boy. Are the city schools worse than the schools in say in liverpool? Please help....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 01:45 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,634,653 times
The Search feature on this forum is a wonderful thing.

If you are scared of snow, then Syracuse is most likely not for you. Since you gave absolutely no info on your situation, that is absolutely no help. NO to Hawley Green.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,814 times
geesh... hope the people in syracuse arent all as nice as u, hun. what more info do you really need? i am a single mom with an 12 yr old boy.... what are the decent areas? i'll be more descriptive to help those who cant understand the question : where are the drug infested crime ridden areas so i can avoid them???? really Becca?
n then u say no to hawley green? WHY??? im asking ur advice?
u said no... with no explanation??? why even RESPOND?

Last edited by subanuchi; 01-02-2012 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: wanted to add more.....

Old 01-02-2012, 02:00 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,634,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subanuchi View Post
geesh... hope the people in syracuse arent all as nice as u, hun. what more info do you really need? i am a single mom with an 12 yr old boy.... what are the decent areas? i'll be more descriptive to help those who cant understand the question : where are the drug infested crime ridden areas so i can avoid them???? really Becca?
I actually love the Syracuse area and am very happy here. And I'm a big advocate of this area as well. You provide no details = you don't get a detailed response.

BTW, I'm not your "hun"

Old 01-02-2012, 02:26 PM

56,274 posts, read 80,465,056 times
Quote:
looking for any info on the neighborhoods in Syracuse, NY. I am looking for housing and am torn as to where to look and how to know if it is a decent area. I looked at a place in Solvay... im scared of the hills in the snow.
I heard Hawley Greene is nice??? any advice??? I am a 35 yr old single mom to an 12 yr old boy. Are the city schools worse than the schools in say in liverpool? Please help....
Look north of the city(i.e.- Liverpool, North Syracuse and Baldwinsville SD's). North of the city isn't that hilly at all. Schools are fine in all three districts and there is plenty of shopping in the Northern suburbs.

As for the Syracuse City schools, they are just like any urban district with issues. You have your range of students as well, but the graduation rates aren't too hot right now. There is the Say Yes to Education program, which gives services to families and pays for college tuition: Say Yes to Education - Syracuse If you do go with the city of Syracuse, look into the Eastside of town or outer neighborhoods in the other sides of town. You can also look into information for entry into the Syracuse Institute of Technology at Central High or the Syracuse Academy of Science, which is a charter school.

Is there anything in particular that you are looking for in terms of a neighborhood/area?

Old 01-02-2012, 02:41 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,693,974 times
Quote:
There's a full thread [ Green-Hawley ] on Hawley Green and its advantages/disadvantages (it's a sort of transitional neighborhood... slowly gentrifying but rough around the edges), and a couple solidly good threads full of information on city neighborhoods like this one: City neighborhoods......

Rankings-wise you'll find the city schools further down than the suburban ones but there are several gems such as Corcoran (high school - with an IB program - in the far southwest corner of the city), Ed Smith (K-8 - SU area) and others.

A little more information such as hoped for price range, school programs/features and the type of community you're looking for may help posters here narrow things down a little.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:29 AM

838 posts, read 1,426,619 times
I would not live in Hawley-Green with a 12 year old child. It's a LBGT friendly neighborhood - which is good - but it's also a neighborhood that was partially gentrified to draw young professionals many years ago and then the gentrification stalled when tax incentives dried up. There is now and has always been a mix of housing stock in that neighborhood - nice old Victorians that were restored along with substandard non-descript rental housing that draws a predominately poor Section 8 clientele. As a result you have a neighborhood that is very mixed in terms of safety and still has issues. The influx of LGBT folks to that area has mostly been int he past 5 to 10 years and has made the area much better than it was but it remains a place where there is still some drug related related activity etc. - IMHO not "family friendly." if I had to choose a neighborhood in the city limits where I'd suggest a single parent with a 12 year old look for housing it would be Strathmore or Westcott. That being said... if academic performance levels and absence of distractions (i.e. too many underperforming kids from undisciplined housholds where they receive little guidance and structure) are important to you - then you might look at finding a rental in Dewitt. It has the convenience of being on the edge of the city but has much better performing school s- especially at the middle and high school levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area