Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:24 AM

1,991 posts, read 895,810 times

Advertisements

I think you have to define what "Syracuse" is when we discuss these Northern/Southern comparisons. When asked where I'm from, I reply I'm from Syracuse because nobody across the country would know where the small town of Baldwinsville is. However, when I think of and discuss "Syracuse" I'm really thinking of the Onondaga County Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) not just the city proper. When comparing MSA for MSA, Syracuse/Onondaga County stands up very well with any MSA in the South. Let's be honest, every MSA has a poor inner city area. And every area of the country is having budget problems. To say Syracuse is the only area of the country with these problems is duplicitous.

Obviously, there is nothing we can do about the weather. It remains a legitimate concern when considering where to live. In my opinion, it's the only real reason that one might consider moving or staying. That is really the only difference between the North vs. South MSA's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 12:46 PM

92,717 posts, read 123,032,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
I think you have to define what "Syracuse" is when we discuss these Northern/Southern comparisons. When asked where I'm from, I reply I'm from Syracuse because nobody across the country would know where the small town of Baldwinsville is. However, when I think of and discuss "Syracuse" I'm really thinking of the Onondaga County Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) not just the city proper. When comparing MSA for MSA, Syracuse/Onondaga County stands up very well with any MSA in the South. Let's be honest, every MSA has a poor inner city area. And every area of the country is having budget problems. To say Syracuse is the only area of the country with these problems is duplicitous.

Obviously, there is nothing we can do about the weather. It remains a legitimate concern when considering where to live. In my opinion, it's the only real reason that one might consider moving or staying. That is really the only difference between the North vs. South MSA's.
Great points Tom and even the weather aspect depends on the person, as it is objective.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,809,392 times
Quote:

Statistically, Syracuse stands up pretty well against other mid sized cities, all over the country. Syracuse just started to pique my interest a bit. Its the 80th biggest MSA in the US. So, surrounding Syracuse in MSA population:

75. Knoxville, TN- been here, its a nice area. Can't really say anything bad about it. TN has low taxes and a beautiful landscape. However, I think the pay here is pretty low too, and its surrounded by extremely poor areas of WV/SW VA. Its also very isolated from large metro areas.

76. Springfield, MA- typical former manufacturing area, nothing compelling except the close proximity of Boston and Hartford. Probably somewhat comparable to Syracuse in pay, but homes here do cost a bit more.

77. Stockton, CA- one of the foreclosure capitals of the US, boring central valley location has one of the highest rates of air pollution due to agricultural pesticides. Been here, it sucks.

78. Poughkeepsie, NY- nice suburbs, but very spread out. Basically Orange and Dutchess Counties, which are nice but expensive. Downtown is a pit.

79. Charleston, SC- great history, but low pay and high humidity. Too high for most people to be comfortable. Beach access and nice winters, if that's your thing.

80. Syracuse

81. Toledo- dying Ohio city, drove through, looked forward to leaving.

82. Colorado Springs, CO- I would put this above Syracuse in quality of life. I've been through here- its really nice, its cheap, access to Denver. Great weather and friendly people. Amazing recreational opportunities and big sky country. CO Springs, I think is a more desirable area than Syracuse.

83. Greenville, SC- I've never been here, but people seem to like this area online. Can't say, but I imagine you gotta like the South and the heat and humidity.

84. Wichita, KS- never been here. Can't really comment, but I imagine, as I have been through KS, its flat and kinda boring landscape.

85. Fort Myers, FL- traffic, heat, bugs, hurricanes, foreclosures, etc. I have friends who moved here, they said the traffic is worse than NJ, the heat in the summer is intolerable, schools are horrific, and their home is worth 1/2 what they paid (Paid $300k in 2007, now worth $150k). Homeowners insurance was $3k a year.

So, in 5 larger MSA's and 5 smaller ones, the only one I would personally prefer is Colorado Springs.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:59 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,857,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What you are not putting into perspective is the fact that suburbanization and the inability to annex additional land or adjacent communities plays a roll in this and many other Northeastern and Midwestern cities. Actually, the metro population for the current 3 counties is at its highest population ever. So, many people just moved to the suburbs or to other parts of the metro, in many cases.

As for other cities growing, many Southern and some Western and even Midwestern cities have annexed land or former suburbs recently, while Syracuse hasn't done o sine the late 1920's/early 1930's. For instance, Jacksonville and Duval County in Florida became one entity around 1969. Louisville and Jefferson County in KY did the same thing just before this past census. Columbus OH and Oklahoma City have city limits that go over multiple counties. I could go on, but these are some things that need to be kept in mind.

There are still fine neighborhoods within city limits and unfortunately crime and gangs has always been in the city of Syracuse, to some degree. Things could be better in many aspects, but all isn't bad either.
Excellent post ckhthankgod!

Old 03-21-2012, 01:40 PM

1,991 posts, read 895,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Statistically, Syracuse stands up pretty well against other mid sized cities, all over the country. Syracuse just started to pique my interest a bit. Its the 80th biggest MSA in the US. So, surrounding Syracuse in MSA population:

82. Colorado Springs, CO- I would put this above Syracuse in quality of life. I've been through here- its really nice, its cheap, access to Denver. Great weather and friendly people. Amazing recreational opportunities and big sky country. CO Springs, I think is a more desirable area than Syracuse.

So, in 5 larger MSA's and 5 smaller ones, the only one I would personally prefer is Colorado Springs.
I've heard great things about Colorado Springs. Definitely a upscale vibe. But that reminds me of another point. If I have heard about it, everybody else has heard of it too. Pretty soon you have this mass influx of people with the resulting urban sprawl which pretty much negates what made Colorado Spring nice in the first place. It's a vicious cycle isn't it?

Old 03-21-2012, 01:58 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,857,859 times
Quote:
I've heard great things about Colorado Springs. Definitely a upscale vibe. But that reminds me of another point. If I have heard about it, everybody else has heard of it too. Pretty soon you have this mass influx of people with the resulting urban sprawl which pretty much negates what made Colorado Spring nice in the first place. It's a vicious cycle isn't it?
bingo...excellent point TomC23. During the boom, people down here in Florida talked moving to North Carolina, esp. Charlotte as the new paradise. Well, when they got there, everyone else heard about it too and paradise turned into hell.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:20 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,809,392 times
Quote:
I agree. I love to take road trips and discover "sleeper" cities. I think Syracuse is a bit of a sleeper city. Down here, nobody even knows what I'm talking about if I mention the city. They assume the university, no one even realizes that its a city too. Then again, most Philadelphians don't even know that there is a large state called NY that exists north of New York City. And I'm quite serious too.

Syracuse, Rochester, and Albany are all kinda sleeper cities. Raleigh, NC and Charlotte are definitely not- everyone here talks about how nice it would be to live in "the Carolinas". Especially people who want 4 seasons and dislike Florida.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:35 PM

121 posts, read 294,123 times
True!! but i do feel syracuse is in the middle of vibrant Canadian and US cities and of course surrounded by nature....I would say cities in colorado are isolated in general although great places to live.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:42 PM

92,717 posts, read 123,032,038 times
What's even more interesting is that Upstate NY metros were built to hold more people than they have now. If anyone has time, go to the Onondaga Free Library on Onondaga Hill and check out a planning book for the town of Onondaga. In there, it talks about new freeways being built, how the portion of the town in the Marcellus SD is an area to keep an eye on and that planners were expecting around 600,000 people to live in the county by the 80's, if I'm not mistaken. This book was written around 1967 and it is on the second floor of the library. It talks about other plans as well. So, if there is continually and steady growth, the area should be prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area