U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2012, 06:59 AM
 
Location: Not Oneida
2,863 posts, read 3,527,666 times
Reputation: 1094

Advertisements

Pay flood insurance for 10 years like I do and you'll dream of the desert night and day.

As far as hot vs cold I'd have to say up until I turned about 40 or so I didn't give it much thought. But since then I'll take the hot any old day. Seems like this "Spring" is colder then most, that damm wind this past week cuts right through me. Alot of that I think is that I love to be outside, most NYers live indoors except June/July so don't really feel it. In Florida I'm outside every second and bring on the heat baby!!! 100+?? Oh my yes!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2012, 10:28 AM
 
56,737 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Reputation: 12549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Pay flood insurance for 10 years like I do and you'll dream of the desert night and day.

As far as hot vs cold I'd have to say up until I turned about 40 or so I didn't give it much thought. But since then I'll take the hot any old day. Seems like this "Spring" is colder then most, that damm wind this past week cuts right through me. Alot of that I think is that I love to be outside, most NYers live indoors except June/July so don't really feel it. In Florida I'm outside every second and bring on the heat baby!!! 100+?? Oh my yes!!!
I know from other posters from or that live in Texas, droughts have been an issue in recent years. So, I can see how being around water is a great change for the better.

I'm not sure about NYers just coming out for those 2 months, but when the weather breaks, you can tell the difference. That's if you don't mind doing activities during the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
12,304 posts, read 10,785,285 times
Reputation: 20541
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
I've met three Texans who were up here visiting or moved here and all three of them said they love upstate New York...One of the three talked about how nice it is to have so much water.
Being in SC I can totally see why they feel it's nice to have so much water. We're not as bad off as they are, but it's bad. We've been 15 inches short on rainfall the last 2 years and this year we are seriously short. We're already on the highest drought marker possible. Never went through this living in NY!

There's not a single natural lake in SC. All of them are man made and most were made for power. Some have nuclear reactors on them.....Yeah not where I want to swim!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Pay flood insurance for 10 years like I do and you'll dream of the desert night and day.

As far as hot vs cold I'd have to say up until I turned about 40 or so I didn't give it much thought. But since then I'll take the hot any old day. Seems like this "Spring" is colder then most, that damm wind this past week cuts right through me. Alot of that I think is that I love to be outside, most NYers live indoors except June/July so don't really feel it. In Florida I'm outside every second and bring on the heat baby!!! 100+?? Oh my yes!!!
Sean, not everyone in NY pays for flood insurance. They whole state is not in a flood plain. You knew you were when purchasing your home. This is all part of the mountain of paperwork done by the bank long before closing.

Until you live with it 100+ degrees for weeks on end, you don't know what it's like. Don't forget the insane humidity. And this lasts for 8-10 months of the year. The sun is much stronger down here. There are days that the weather guys say no one should be outside. You can get severely burnt in a very short period of time down here. It's much worse than up north.

One thing about the weather down here that no one thinks about. You can't open your windows and doors and air out your house! Most houses down here have an odor to them. Much like they just need to be aired out, but you can't because it's soooooooo freaking hot for so many months. That was something I didn't know about until I moved here. It's kinda gross actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 03:47 AM
 
Location: Not Oneida
2,863 posts, read 3,527,666 times
Reputation: 1094
Not all of NY is flood zone. Story in the paper last week said alot more of NY did get added though.

Being on a flood plain effectively makes your house worth zero dollars these days. People looking to buy in NY should learn everything they can about this and avoid being near any water whatsoever. Maps change over the years and you can get zinged real good.

I agreed to pay like 30-40 a month for flood insurance. Thats not really a deal breaker. In 10 years its now over 200 a month. Remember houses are cheap in NY but replacement value is national. So I'm paying for a crackhouse in CNY but on a Mcmansion in Hilton Head. Last month my Dad was crying about how much his hurricane insurance was in Florida. I laughed in his face, I'd give an eye to pay what he pays.

My next house will be where there is no visible water within 100 miles and averages less then a foot of rain a decade.

To give you an idea of home values in NY if I sold my house for its full accessed value (wildly unlikely but would be super) and I got to keep all the cash it still wouldn't be enough to buy a single wheel F350 King Ranch pickup at Nye Ford here in Oneida. And thats before the five grand in sales tax.

Last edited by Sean®; 04-08-2012 at 04:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 01:04 PM
 
1,616 posts, read 415,778 times
Reputation: 1992
Ahem, Back to the original topic. I have lived in both the deep south and CNY. As far as being "house bound", I think you would find this more likely with CNY winter. Why? Well, because we do get some pretty good storms in the winter. Days that if you did not need to go out, you don't. Even when it's nice, I rarely walk outside in the winter. Use the treadmill instead. When I was in south Alabama, even though it was hot, I never thought to myself that it's too hot to leave the house. My wife and I would do our shopping or what ever needed to be done in the morning before it got too hot. In the evening at dusk we would get out as well. But this would only be from late May to Oct. The rest of the year wasn't to bad at all.
I'll put it this way, it's more likely you will see your neighbors outside in the south during the summer than it is during a winter in CNY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 01:17 PM
 
2,440 posts, read 4,980,274 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
I'll put it this way, it's more likely you will see your neighbors outside in the south during the summer than it is during a winter in CNY.
Well, yeah... school is out in the summer. I'm more likely to see my neighbors outside in the summer than the winter too. I have yet to observe anyone working in the yard with 2 feet of snow on the ground. Our neighbors did have their roof replaced in the dead of winter, last year. We had a 4-foot snowfall and they took the day off; they were back at it, the next day.

But you can bet that if there are 3+ inches of snow on the ground, on the weekend, just about everyone with a child or nearby grandchild will be at the nearest good hill, sledding... or at the ski centers, tubing/skiing/boarding.

Then there's the issue of winter daylight. In the winter, you wake up in the dark, are inside a school or work building during daylight hours, and go home in the dark. There's not much opportunity to putz around, outside, in the winter... unless you live in the tropics, of course.

Last edited by proulxfamily; 04-08-2012 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 01:21 PM
 
56,737 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Reputation: 12549
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Ahem, Back to the original topic. I have lived in both the deep south and CNY. As far as being "house bound", I think you would find this more likely with CNY winter. Why? Well, because we do get some pretty good storms in the winter. Days that if you did not need to go out, you don't. Even when it's nice, I rarely walk outside in the winter. Use the treadmill instead. When I was in south Alabama, even though it was hot, I never thought to myself that it's too hot to leave the house. My wife and I would do our shopping or what ever needed to be done in the morning before it got too hot. In the evening at dusk we would get out as well. But this would only be from late May to Oct. The rest of the year wasn't to bad at all.
I'll put it this way, it's more likely you will see your neighbors outside in the south during the summer than it is during a winter in CNY.
Good point about the time of day in regards to summers in the South. For instance, when my unit had to do Physical Training during my time at Fort Jackson SC and Fort Gordon GA, it usually was done early in the morning or late in the evening. We did have to have a canteen of water with us at all times though. This was from late May until mid November.

I think winters will depend on one's interests, road/weather conditions, comfortability around snow, the type of vehicle and the amount of time one allows themselves. Just to give another military example, at Fort Drum, there were many times that we did PT indoors because of weather. There were times when we did run outside during the winter in a sweatsuit, hats and gloves though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Not Oneida
2,863 posts, read 3,527,666 times
Reputation: 1094
I get moving in the dark year around.

During snow I never see anyone out in the morning. In cold I do see a few intrepid souls.

Crank it up to 70 and I'll see quite a few.

It hits 80+ and I see dozens on my way to work.

North or South I love 100 degrees. But water, water and more water. Sweat is normal stuff, most NYers treat it like its a disease. "what do you do when its 100 down there?? Um, sweat??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 03:21 PM
 
56,737 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Reputation: 12549
Anothing thing in regards to the winter to consider are the shorter days. That may or may not have an effect on an individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,912,718 times
Reputation: 4239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Not all of NY is flood zone. Story in the paper last week said alot more of NY did get added though.

Being on a flood plain effectively makes your house worth zero dollars these days. People looking to buy in NY should learn everything they can about this and avoid being near any water whatsoever. Maps change over the years and you can get zinged real good.

I agreed to pay like 30-40 a month for flood insurance. Thats not really a deal breaker. In 10 years its now over 200 a month. Remember houses are cheap in NY but replacement value is national. So I'm paying for a crackhouse in CNY but on a Mcmansion in Hilton Head. Last month my Dad was crying about how much his hurricane insurance was in Florida. I laughed in his face, I'd give an eye to pay what he pays.

My next house will be where there is no visible water within 100 miles and averages less then a foot of rain a decade.

To give you an idea of home values in NY if I sold my house for its full accessed value (wildly unlikely but would be super) and I got to keep all the cash it still wouldn't be enough to buy a single wheel F350 King Ranch pickup at Nye Ford here in Oneida. And thats before the five grand in sales tax.
The Sahara? There is nowhere in the US like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top