U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 04:26 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,511,839 times

Advertisements

Extra facetious for innerweb purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 04:48 AM

56,301 posts, read 80,502,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Extra facetious for innerweb purposes.
That's a shocker..

BTW-Who says innerweb?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:06 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,664,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's a shocker..

BTW-Who says innerweb?
Seriously. Its called the internet machine.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:18 AM

1,490 posts, read 963,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gremlin View Post
Is there a difference? Being from Texas and not having any experience with a CNY winter. A hot summer can keep you indoors just as a lot of snow could. Since I love to take walks and spend time outdoors, I wonder if either one of these climes would be a better fit.
I will give you my experience as somebody who spent most of his life growing up in Florida & then living in the Syracuse area for the past 4+ years.

You are right about the summers being pretty hot in the south & some years seeming to be "9 months of summer". It definitely can wear on you.

I'll say it is quite literally, the polar opposite in my experience. Not that it should be a big surprise but weather is a pretty relative thing for people and much of it is based (imho) on what people have become accustomed to. You can look at charts, graphs, averages, etc. but sometimes you don't get a good "feel" for what that translates to from a 'living life" standpoint.

A few thoughts to consider:

1. Sun - The lack of it is the single biggest issue I have experienced. This past weekend was as sunny as you can get anywhere, but that is the exception, rather than rule. Today's overcast & windy with occasional chance of rain tends to be more common spring weather in my experience. It is also not uncommon for the sun to hide for many days, and on occasion, more than a week in the winter. The 1st year living here, this was less noticeable for me. Each year since, this has been progressively bothersome for me. I know there is SAD, and perhaps thats what it is, but I have to say it must affect a lot of people I come in contact with. This might be completely ignorant to what SAD is, but I attribute weather to creating a depressing vibe more than I attribute a chemical imbalance to people who aren't accepting of depressing weather for extended periods. Perhaps I'm offbase there.

2. Temperature - This winter being "mild". It is mild for the area, but still more harsh than much of the country. Despite one of lowest snowfall totals in years (decades perhaps?), it hasn't really meant a substantially more enjoyable winter (to the contrary, more snow is preferable to play in). To somebody accustomed to a Florida spring, it still feels like "winter" right now. Just like one might call a typical 80 degree day in April "summer" weather. There is no right or wrong answer, but these are both oppostie ends of the spectrum of typical weather for most of the US.

3. Duration - This is also where it has been a difficult transition for us. Winter weather in December, January, and February is expected. Gloomy & overcast, snow/rain, etc. When it extends through March, much of April, and sometimes much of May is what (figuratively) you may not anticipate. Or you may anticipate just a day here or there. You are essentially getting into half of the year being more reliably dark & cold then bright & warm(ish). I gauge this duration by how often I have to mow the lawn. In Florida (another extreme weather area compared to the US average), I had to mow my lawn a solid 9-10 months of the year (at least once in a given month is my criteria). I "could have" mowed my lawn this past weekend like my neighbors did, but it simply isn't as high as 3 days growth in the south, so I can't bring myself to make lines in the grass for the sake of it. That said, I haven't mowed since the first week of October.

4. The Good Months - I have to tell you that summer is pretty enjoyable & mild compared to the southern states. It is typically 70-80 (and a little higher/lower on occasion) and very pleasant for kids to be outside, jogging, hiking, and the like. I will say it is very rare I find it warm enough to swim in an unheated pool but I know that is partially based on my background and being used to 80 degree ocean temps (which I'm sure many would find too warm to be refreshing).

It probably sounds like I'm bashing the weather here. While I'm not a big fan of it Jan-May, I do enjoy June-Dec. A little winter is enjoyable for Christmas/New Year's time but its the lingering nature of it that simply gets old for me. And if given the choice between prolonged sun/heat & prolonged dark/cold, I'd personally choose the sun/heat. Neither extreme hits the "Goldilocks" zone for most people but such is life & our choices.

Anyway, that is the perspective of somebody that has lived in a very hot/humid state (most of my life) and in the upstate NY area for a few years. I've also been to many other states due to work for prolonged periods (a few months at a time) as well as a couple of years in the mid-atlantic areas. There's obviously much more to consider than the weather here, but it is and can be a very major consideration for people.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:20 AM

1,537 posts, read 2,210,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
The Sahara? There is nowhere in the US like that.
There might be a few spots in Nevada that qualify. It might be a little shy off 100 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's a shocker..
BTW-Who says innerweb?
Seriously. Everyone knows it is innerwebs and Al Gore invented it.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:46 AM

121 posts, read 239,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
I will give you my experience as somebody who spent most of his life growing up in Florida & then living in the Syracuse area for the past 4+ years.

You are right about the summers being pretty hot in the south & some years seeming to be "9 months of summer". It definitely can wear on you.

I'll say it is quite literally, the polar opposite in my experience. Not that it should be a big surprise but weather is a pretty relative thing for people and much of it is based (imho) on what people have become accustomed to. You can look at charts, graphs, averages, etc. but sometimes you don't get a good "feel" for what that translates to from a 'living life" standpoint.
I agree....i do feel the tolerance to cold changes after living for a while...so March feels much better than Jan feb.

Also, the long summer days can be enjoyed more in upstate NY as compared to places in the south where sitting home and watching the bright sunshine outside could be frustrating.

The northeast weather has a bit of everything making the scenery diverse as well.

I would personally love the "just right" weather (say san diego or maybe dc/N carolina area) but CNY winters would be my choice compared to the southern summers.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:18 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
I'll put it this way, it's more likely you will see your neighbors outside in the south during the summer than it is during a winter in CNY.
I live in SC outside of Augusta, GA. During the summer, I RARELY see any of my neighbors including the kids. I see them a lot in the winter.

When I lived in Upstate NY, I saw my neighbors less in the winter, but I did see them and not just while shoveling snow.

People don't stay indoors in Upstate NY in the winter like they do around here in the summer. Maybe it depends on where you are and what kind of people are your neighbors. Many of mine aren't from the South and seriously can't stand the summer heat here. We all miss the snow and 4 seasons!

Old 04-09-2012, 04:29 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,664,818 times
I think southern NH/southern Maine weather is my favorite weather in the US. Winters are cold, but often sunny. 60" of snowfall means you can enjoy the snow and do plenty of activities in it, but also not spend every day clearing it. Summertime in NH/ME is perfect for me- I've spent 5 of my last 8 Augusts in Maine (for one week each time) and usually it is sunny and highs in the upper 70's, low 80's. At night, sleep with the windows open easily. Near the coast is never excessively hot. I lived in NC for a while and I'd take Syracuse winter over NC summer anyday. Its brutal. But I'm not sold on the Syracuse winter yet.

My only gripe would be ocean temperatures. I've gone in the ocean there, and its not pleasant. Southern NJ ocean water, near Cape May or the Wildwoods is perfect from July- Sept.

Last edited by VintageSunlight; 04-09-2012 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: content

Old 04-10-2012, 04:04 PM

1,542 posts, read 396,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Your post describes the difference much more accurately than my clumsy attempt. This is really the essence of what the OP was getting at. Well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or