U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 AM

39 posts, read 63,278 times

Advertisements

For those of you who said you hate living in Syracuse, what is it you hate about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 07:50 AM

1,537 posts, read 2,208,971 times
I currently can't remember the last time I saw the sun. the winters are cold and gray. The summers are humid followed by rain, followed by humidity. I don't live in the city, so if I go out during the summer I am choking on bugs. Black flies, mosquito, and wasp. We leave all lights off during the summer because the bugs will find a way to get to the lights and the bottom of the light fixture becomes their grave.

I also prefer to live in a town that is more alive. They roll up the sidewalks around here on Sundays and while it has gotten better, the dining and entertainment options are pretty small town. Before anyone jumps on my a$$, this is my opinion and compared to where I have lived, this is true to my experience only. Being you are from Vegas, I assume you are used to the same lifestyle. If you want a bite to eat after 10 or on Sunday, your options are very limited.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,962,390 times
Christmas - the sun was out for almost the entire day on Christmas. I've been in a bit of a fog since then... we're all sick.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 AM

56,261 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Christmas - the sun was out for almost the entire day on Christmas. I've been in a bit of a fog since then... we're all sick.
Also, it was relatively mild before Christmas.

I can see Marcellus perhaps having more of an issue with bugs due to being more rural/small town versus DeWitt or the Fayetteville-Manlius area.

As for food, this may give an idea as to what is around LVG: welcome! · cnymenus · dot · com ·

I know that you have children. So, going to restaurants after 10 PM on a Sunday may be rare. A place like Tully's may work if you are looking for that though.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,509,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtime Vegas Girl View Post
For those of you who said you hate living in Syracuse, what is it you hate about it?

Its cold and gloomy most of the time. Flashes of Sunshine are rare and rarer still is Sunshine and a day off lining up. This time of year if the Sun peaked out from a cloud it gives off no heat.

Per City-Data Syracuse is the 3rd gloomiest city in the US outside the PNW.

Throw in high crime and high taxes and its just a yucky place to live.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Its cold and gloomy most of the time. Flashes of Sunshine are rare and rarer still is Sunshine and a day off lining up. This time of year if the Sun peaked out from a cloud it gives off no heat.

Per City-Data Syracuse is the 3rd gloomiest city in the US outside the PNW.

Throw in high crime and high taxes and its just a yucky place to live.
High crime? Outside of certain urban neighborhoods, the crime is low and the Syracuse metro has one of the lowest crime rates for its size. Overall Cost of living is at or below the national average, even with the high tax rates.

This is a little old and may be gone due to the website, but it gives an idea in terms of a comparison: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
That same site also allows for COL comparisons.

Last edited by Yac; 01-04-2013 at 06:33 AM..

Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM

On your charts I'm kinda in a no mans land of sorts.

Syracuse Metro is waaaaaaaaay outside my comfort zone.

Utica MSA is well inside my comfort zone.

And I'm half way between them. But Oneida is mind body and spirit a part of Syracuse (the locals, not me).

I wonder was LVG would think if her husband had to drive through here today. The roads are still barely plowed wider then a goat path. I bet its 2 hours to Fayetteville today (I wouldn't try it myself, even with 4 wheel drive).

Old 12-28-2012, 01:14 PM

My point was about giving proper information. I think people know where your comfort zone is and ironically, the Utica-Rome metro is around the same position for crime rankings of metros of a similar size.

As for the snow, things seem to be fine here and the Thruway is an alternative to Routes 5 or 13. That is why I'm partial to DeWitt in terms of access to multiple routes, as well as good public and private schools.

Also, if you research what LVG is looking for in posts she has made here and other forums, the Syracuse area is going to offer more(shopping, sporting events, festivals, etc.). I've even posted and looked for similar housing criteria in the Utica-Rome area. So, it isn't about being a Homer or showing a preference, in that regard or in general.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 PM

Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to sell her on Utica but I can see how it could look that way. What I meant was the violent crime RATE is about double in Syracuse vs Utica. That part was as concerns myself.

As far as she was involved with this thread the difference between the two places wouldn't amount to a hill of beans. The weather blows exactly the same in both. Believe me I would no more try and make it to New Hartford on these roads then Fayeteville.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:38 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,962,390 times
Nonsense. Our friend from New Woodstock had a closing to attend in Oneida, yesterday afternoon. He came here first and didn't leave until 2, with the closing at 2:30, even with the roads not being great at the time... he was a few minutes early.

My mother-in-law left for New Hampshire this morning. She lives right across the street from us and took the back roads to Chittenango and Route 5 to the Thruway on-ramp in Canastota. The poor woman has serious trauma from a bad accident several years ago and will even have us drive her to work in Fayetteville (5 minutes away) if there's any snow on the road at all. She called to say that she'd arrived safely and the roads weren't at all bad. If they had been, she'd have definitely called us to pick her up from wherever she was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or