U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 04:35 PM

56,281 posts, read 80,465,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Good luck with that!

There's not enough of a population base down in the rural south towns to warrant the construction of a full sized grocery store IMO.
Perhaps, but who knows? It might have to go to a town like Marcellus or to the Minoa area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 04:40 PM

405 posts, read 1,266,083 times
No I don't like paying high taxes, but I feel at least I am getting something for them, a nice quiet area free from the rampant development that plagues many areas. I for one am very glad that this was rejected. If I wanted to live in a land of strip malls, I would have stayed on Long Island. I have seen first hand how unrestricted development can ruin a nice area. There are supermarkets in Manlius, Cazenovia and one in Fayetteville. There is no need for another strip mall.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:13 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,963,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Like some of the comments on there stated, that project would be great for one of the towns south of Syracuse like Tully or Lafayette.
I agree- and am VERY glad that the project wasn't approved. Adding another grocery store to Manlius would be overkill. We have 2 P&Cs and a Wegman's within a 5 minute or so drive, including one right in the village. And WHY build another plaza when we already have an empty one on Seneca Turnpike, newly renovated/remodeled and a new, dressed up parking lot to boot... just waiting to be leased?

Old 12-18-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
No I don't like paying high taxes, but I feel at least I am getting something for them, a nice quiet area free from the rampant development that plagues many areas. I for one am very glad that this was rejected.
Yes- this. Exactly. Property values and employment rates sure don't go UP when grocery store plazas are built nearby and there certainly is no lack of funding for kids' sports around here... so how, exactly, would this plaza have been a good thing for the community?

Old 12-18-2008, 10:25 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,177,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Yes- this. Exactly. Property values and employment rates sure don't go UP when grocery store plazas are built nearby and there certainly is no lack of funding for kids' sports around here... so how, exactly, would this plaza have been a good thing for the community?
grocery stores pay property taxes....

Old 12-19-2008, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
grocery stores pay property taxes....

Well, while they're open anyway... there really isn't a need here for yet.another.grocery.store. And- there's no shortage of people who are more than willing to pay our higher property taxes.

Manlius is not a give-us-growth-at-any-cost sort of community. A grocery store would be a GREAT asset to LaFayette, for example... there's a commercial area to put it with no competition. But here? No.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:27 AM

Manlius fall video

YouTube - Fall 2007,Manlius NY

Manlius Parade

YouTube - Manlius Stickley Chair Race 2008

Not the best video or choice in music

YouTube - Manlius New York

Old 04-14-2009, 08:16 PM

Never been on this road before...

YouTube - Peth Road Run

Old 04-14-2009, 08:31 PM

Nature in the Town of Manlius

YouTube - Adventure At Three Falls Woods

YouTube - 2008-05-24 Green Lake Camping

YouTube - Green Lakes, New York Photography

YouTube - The Underwater World of Green Lakes

Old 03-17-2010, 08:35 AM

103 posts, read 176,959 times
I know this is an older thread, but thanks so much for your pictures, bellafinzi! We are moving to the area from CT and I'm trying to narrow down the towns before we come up to choose a house. I was set on Fay-Manlius, but I've heard it's 'snobby-ish'. So now I'm considering Camillus and Marcellus. I have 3 kids, one in Elem, one in Middle and one in HS. My daughters play competitive soccer, so a nearby indoor arena is key. A good indoor pool nearby would be great. Friendly, supportive neighbors (although I know that's hit or miss sometimes). Not too much driving for food shopping or schools, or doctors. I work from home, so a nearby Staples would be good. Most importantly a very community oriented town. My husband will be working in Syracuse, Albany and Buffalo so decent access to the highway would be good too. Am I asking for too much??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or