U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 07:20 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,170,561 times

Advertisements

Thanks Sgoldie, I hope you're right....

Not the downtown jail, but this building...

Not sure what it is named

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 07:56 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,873,209 times
I know where that bldg is, good spot for a parking garage. Not a bad idea to get rid of that ugly thing either.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:26 PM

I believe this is the empty AT&T Building where the fire and police station would relocate, when the above building is demolished for the parking garage....

Old 11-04-2007, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,314 times
Thanks for the great collection of pictures of downtown! I grew up in the area and recently visited, and did drive around my old neighborhood - Strathmore. I lived on Summit Ave for a while, a nice street leading into Onondaga Park. It has gotten a little rough looking since last time I visited.

I wish I had an answer to what Syracuse needs, it could be a great town. Maybe if all us scattered ex-residents came together and moved back it would help!

Thanks again for the pics.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,314 times
Exclamation Re: I-81 thru downtown Syracuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Thanks SouthernBelle3. All most see of Syracuse is from Interstate 81. Too bad our leadership doesn't realize our gateways can and should be showcase opportunities with landscaping, impressive facades, lack of eyesores etc.

If I ever became mayor or county executive, the first thing I would do is clean up the interstates so they look attractive to passersby. Making a good first impression would be priority #1 in my budget. Obviously, our current clueless leadership fails to grasp this concept. Syracuse looks like a dump from all the interstates (I-81, I-90, I-481, I-690)....overgrown brush, run-down buildings, warehouses with no landscaping, weeds covering chain link fencing, the list goes on and on.

On my recent trip I noticed the rebar showing through the decaying concrete on the support columns of the I-81 and I-690 interchange downtown, --- it looks structurally scary!

Old 01-23-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTbaz View Post
Thanks for the great collection of pictures of downtown! I grew up in the area and recently visited, and did drive around my old neighborhood - Strathmore. I lived on Summit Ave for a while, a nice street leading into Onondaga Park. It has gotten a little rough looking since last time I visited.

I wish I had an answer to what Syracuse needs, it could be a great town. Maybe if all us scattered ex-residents came together and moved back it would help!

Thanks again for the pics.
You're welcome!

That's my hope! Someday those who moved away from the Syracuse area move back. Even if 30% moved back, the population of Onondaga County could climb well over 600,000.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:19 AM

48 posts, read 188,834 times
That's the Public Safety Building; home of the Syracuse Police Department and a few other things.

Quote:
Thanks Sgoldie, I hope you're right....

Not the downtown jail, but this building...

Not sure what it is named

Old 02-29-2008, 08:01 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,328,213 times
Great pictures. A lot of beautiful architecture in Syracuse.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:15 AM

3 posts, read 13,608 times
Thank you, Bellafinzi, for posting these photos. It has been quite a few years since I've been to Syracuse. Some photos of the buildings I don't recognize. Is one of the photos of the old Dey Brothers store? I hear that a utility company bought that place and changed its appearance back to the way the building looked in the Victorian times. I have not been back in town since that happened. I certainly remember when Dey Brothers put that "modern" facade on the building. That was perhaps 45 years ago. (I'm not sure) In those days I didn't pay much attention to historic buildings. We thought old fashioned looking was ugly. Anyway, your photos bring tears to my eyes. I never wanted to move away from Syracuse. I certainly intended to return, but only kept on moving farther and farther away. (My wife doesn't want to hear of it anymore how much I miss Syracuse) Anyway, thanks again.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:08 AM

Thanks bigdave01 and Moose Hunter!

Dey Brothers store? I'm not sure. Maybe someone else a little bit older can chime in and help.

Syracuse has so much potential, but it's all wasted for two main reasons...

1) it is located in New York State (the most anti-business, anti-growth State in the nation that ingores whole regions in the State)
2) Local leadership is very short-sighted. They lack the vision, passion, and enthusiasm found in most other Metropolitan areas Syracuse's size.

Moose Hunter, I found you're comment "We thought old fashioned looking was ugly" very interesting. Other than a couple new buildings, the only attractive architecture in Syracuse was built before 1950. Most of the "modern" buildings built between 1950 and 1990 were downright ugly IMO. Right now Syracuse desperately needs post-modern architecture to elevate the look of the city. Syracuse looks stuck in a time warp, but not in a good European way, rather in an old rust-belt has-been city way. Too bad that the new Syracuse Westin Hotel will "fit in" instead of stand out. I really thought this was Syracuse's chance to build a symbol of change....a symbol that Syracuse is not just a rust belt city in decline. Instead the architecture of the Syracuse Westin will just reaffirm the lack of vision in local leadership to demand innovative aesthetic pleasing, awe-inspiring architecture. Other than Newhouse III, all new buildings in Syracuse are just repeating the mistakes of the past. This pattern needs to change or else Syracuse will be continued to be over-looked and lack the respect it deserves. Right now Syracuse has a rather depressing built environment that does not inspire pride or innovation.

Sadly local leaders do not even see this problem with aesthetics in Syracuse. I'm dumb founded how our "leaders" do not understand how important "the look" of cities are and how the visual surroundings really affect the psychology of a region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or