Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 01:20 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
You know me, I'm very happy here in Syracuse, but Rolls - that is not fair.

She did not say what specifically she was looking for. She admits that Syracuse was not for her, but understands that it's fine for others. Accusing someone of being a redneck or wanting to hang out at a Wal-mart just because they don't like the area offerings is not fair. She is one of the few people I have come across on this site that says Syracuse doesn't have what she LIKES to do, but does have plenty available.

I personally am not a museum person. I know there are museums here in the area, but I wouldn't willingly go to them unless I had a specific reason to. I made it a point before I left Hawaii to visit some historical/musem type places because I would kick myself if I said I lived there and never took the time to visit those things.
Becca, I suggest you read her posts on other City-Data forums which will provide more than enough context for my comments. Virtually every post is badmouthing CNY and involves many of the same generalizations, blanket statements and sterotypes you have criticized others for using against Syracuse. Statements like the big difference between Michigan and Upstate New York is that there are "few hardworking middle class people" here and most of the people are on welfare. Perhaps that's the case in her neighborhood but not where my relatives and friends live in the eastern suburbs. The poverty rate in Onondaga County is about consistent with the national rate - 14% more or less; although there are pockets in certain villages, areas in the northern suburbs and the city that are extremely high. As high as it may seem here, poverty rates are substantially higher in many counties in Michigan aside from Grand Rapids and Oakland County, an affluent suburban enclave of Detroit. Some of her preferred areas in Florida like Daytona also have significantly more poverty. She has every right to hate CNY if she chooses to but others are well within their right to give their opinions. I always get a kick out of some of the Syracuse natives who grew up or live in dumpy areas that extend the poor conditions of their community or even their own lives to the entire metropolitan area. Statements like "no one has money," "drives nice cars," "lives in a 4,000 square foot house," "travels abroad," or "has a good job" become absolute terms that are unworthy of exceptions.

I actually agree with the poster who moved from Raleigh and said that many of the apartment complexes are trashy in greater Syracuse and that the city is riddled with nice neighborhoods mixed in with slums only several blocks away.

I chose to live at Steeplechase because it consisted of white collar professionals like myself that don't want noise and enjoy their privacy. To find an environment that included tennis, a small fitness center, a pool, nice grounds and an equally desirable tenant mix requires paying a lot more in monthly rent than the prevailing rate. If I were to move back and wanted didn't want to buy I would chose Steeplechase again or rent a loft in the city's Franklin Square neighborhood.

I wanted to avoid jumping into what has devolved into a pissing match. While many pockets of downtown are still depressed, most I've met, even people that hate Syracuse, admit Armory Square is pretty attractive, despite it only comprising a small portion of the Central Business District. If anything, many Syracuse haters think if Armory Square were extended to the entire downtown area and filled with young people it would make the city attractive. In my experience the only people who find it "overrated" or outright objectionable are those that can't afford to buy the merchandise in the stores, prefer a more working class and blue collar environment or those that frown upon "yuppies" or affluent people with cars that involve anything other than crapboxes.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 03-10-2012 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 01:31 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Becca, I suggest you read her posts on other City-Data forums which will provide more than enough context for my comments. Virtually every post is badmouthing CNY and involves many of the same generalizations, blanket statements and sterotypes you have criticized others for using against Syracuse. She has every right to hate this area if she chooses to but others are well within their voice their opinion.
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. I have only encountered her on one other CNY thread in Buffalo where she said the following - "And the reasons I disliked the cities were not a due to the cities but myself, they just don't fit my personality or my lifestyle."

I see she has been an active poster on other forums (none of which are any CNY forums). Yes she was going to complain about CNY in that one thread, but the fact that she admits she didn't like Syracuse because it just wasn't for her - I fully support that reasoning.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. I have only encountered her on one other CNY thread in Buffalo where she said the following - "And the reasons I disliked the cities were not a due to the cities but myself, they just don't fit my personality or my lifestyle."

I see she has been an active poster on other forums (none of which are any CNY forums). Yes she was going to complain about CNY in that one thread, but the fact that she admits she didn't like Syracuse because it just wasn't for her - I fully support that reasoning.

I support that statement as well, but that's not consistent with 95% of her comments on all of the other forums. At this stage of my life, Syracuse doesn't offer the career prospects and growth opportunities I desire, but you don't see me posting juvenile comments like "ding dong the witch is dead" and trying to convince others how horrible every aspect of life in CNY with statements like, "If you knew where I was from you would hold it against me." I'm all for giving opposing opinions, I actually find some of ToeJam's comments about the simpleton "community leaders" quite enjoyable and "2 degrees of separation" among the influential very true.

I just find it amusing that someone who complains how inferior CNY is ends up moving to an area in Florida that most would consider "undesirable" aside from a spring break jaunt. I can certainly understand how some people might find Syracuse too small and too depressed of a city and prefer a larger metropolitan area, even Florida cities like Orlando or Tampa. In her case, however it's almost equivalent to saying Syracuse is too small and blue collar for me so I've decided to move to Flint.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 03-10-2012 at 02:00 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 01:48 PM

38 posts, read 67,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
ToeJam....Maybe it is because there are nice cheap apartments in the Syracuse area...maybe he wasn't aware of them...so we had to make him aware so he doesn't walk around thinking he's right when he actually is wrong
I have made this offer to others and none took me up on it. Now it's your turn...

Name three apartment complexes that meet my needs and I will relate my experience there. I am not wrong, it's just that you are not paying attention.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Exactly and if people ask for advice and give specific information, they would get a bunch of responses. It also doesn't help deflect the skepticism when there is incorrect/conflict information in regards to the OP. So, it makes you wonder if they really want help or are posting for the sake of posting.
Gee, I dunno. I've only said three different times that I'm posting for the sake of posting. Just to be on the safe side though...

Hey Becca, I posted to relate my experieinces, not to ask for help!!!!

There, did that help?

Old 03-10-2012, 01:54 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I support that statement as well, but that's not consistent with 95% of her comments on all of the other forums. At this stage of my life, Syracuse doesn't offer the career prospects and growth opportunities I desire, but you don't see me posting juvenile comments like "ding dong the witch is dead" and trying to convince others how horrible every aspect of life in CNY with statements like, "If you knew where I was from you would hold it against me." I'm all for giving opposing opinions, I actually find some of ToeJam's comments about the simpleton "community leaders" quite enjoyable and 2 degrees of separation agreeable for the most part.

I just find it amusing that someone who complains how inferior CNY is ends up moving to an area in Florida that most would consider "undesirable" aside from a spring break jaunt. I can certainly understand how some people might find Syracuse too small and too depressed of a city and prefer a larger metropolitan area, even Florida cities like Orlando or Tampa. It's almost equivalent to saying Syracuse is too blue collar for me so I've decided to move to Flint.
Ok, got it

I lived in Melbourne FL for college, so I was not too far south of Daytona for about 4 years. My whole plan was to stay in Florida to begin with, but that's not where life took me. I am very adaptable and since my industry is very small, I don't have much of a choice as to where I end up... if I'm looking to go to a new company, I cannot just move to a new city and hope a job opens up... I would have to specifically find a job first in whatever city the company was in.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
So when this guy comes on and posts about his rental experience with generalizations, we want to show him that it's not that way ALL the time.
Name three

Quote:
Out of all the various apartments I've been in here (friends, etc), I have never thought of a place as small. My last place was too big for me and my current apt is just the right size (and still not "small").
It's the right size for YOU. You obviously have different standards than I do.

Quote:
And when he claims that he's been here in the past and we gave bad advice
Still making stuff up as you go along, huh? I NEVER said anyone gave me bad adevice. I clearly stated that.

Quote:
it makes me question his whole agenda.
I have no agenda, but your reaction makes me question your self-importance.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Ok, got it

I lived in Melbourne FL for college, so I was not too far south of Daytona for about 4 years. My whole plan was to stay in Florida to begin with, but that's not where life took me. I am very adaptable and since my industry is very small, I don't have much of a choice as to where I end up... if I'm looking to go to a new company, I cannot just move to a new city and hope a job opens up... I would have to specifically find a job first in whatever city the company was in.
Unfortunately, I have similiar career limiations, but it doesn't appear as restrictive as yours. It sounds like a very intresting field you're in. Aviation has always fascinated me. I don't think I could live somewhere with an overly warm climate and/or flat topography. The lack of snow this winter has been very depressing; but I know I'm in the minority on that one. Many people have thoroughly enjoyed this "winter."

Old 03-10-2012, 02:28 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Stinger- what has been your experience with Townhouse East?

Old 03-10-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Stinger- what has been your experience with Townhouse East?
They don't take dogs. Other than that they seemed pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area