U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 23 days ago)

30,336 posts, read 35,071,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I'm fine with someone having a less than stellar rental experience, but the problem is that the info he is posting is just not true at all. He has been called out on it and rather than being open to the correct info, just ignores it altogether.

CKH - thanks for posting those apt complexes, I'm sure it will help others who are looking to rent. Never heard of High Acres before but that's pretty cool that they have their own dog park!

It looks like all of the DLH properties allow dogs and from the pics, alot of the complexes look very nice - DLH Properties

I personally don't like complexes and am much happier in a flat. What people sometimes fail to realize is that complexes tend to be more expensive because you're paying for all the amenities - pool, club house, fitness room, trash, snow removal, tennis courts, etc.
Exactly and when you consider that, it doesn't look too bad after all.

Becca, High Acres is off of McDonald Road not too far from OCC. I grew up with kids that lived there at times and they have always been nice. It's actually very close to the city, but is in a rural setting. You can get to shopping in the Western Lights area or even Fairmount within a quick drive too. It is also in the Westhill School District. So, if say someone has children while living there, you are in one of the best school districts in the area. If I was the OP, I would have been all over that yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 AM

1,392 posts, read 695,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Purely comparing apartment shopping in areas like parts of the south where growth was much more rapid in the last 30 years, yes, the apartment stock here will by and large not compare. There hasn't been reason for apartment complexes to pop up every year here like there has been in large parts of the south. And those that fit that bill know it, and charge accordingly. Welcome to the northeast :-)

So if you're looking purely for modern construction apartment complexes, and nothing dated at all, yes, you will find they aren't the norm in the area, because there hasn't been enough growth to support it. For example, Village Green (which was considered and rejected, if I'm recalling correctly) is perfectly nice as far as maintenance and everything else goes... but if modern's the goal, that ain't it.
Thanks. You stated it more succinctly than I could. For some reason, some people on here take things really personally if you make an observation about some aspect of Syracuse. I said nothing negative about the area, except that the apartment complexes were older with less amenities than the new ones down south, and somehow people feel its okay to post sarcastic comments. Just because I agreed with one thing the OP said. Oh well.

Whereas there are apartment complexes like this in abundance down in Raleigh:

Perry Point*- photos | Apartments - Raleigh, NC

I doubt you will find many of these in Syracuse. Facts are facts. Does that make Raleigh better? No. Never said that. Just makes their apartments more appealing to most renters.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:34 AM

Vintage, no one is getting upset or thinks that people are saying that one area is better. We get that there are older complexes, but that doesn't make them of lower quality.

Also, apartment complexes can evolve too. For instance, Clayton Manor has added buildings since I left about 3 or 4 years ago. That is because the demand grew. High Acres didn't always have those things like a dog park. Village Green has Foxfire Golf Course right there. Radisson has basketball courts that light up and are open until 10 PM during certain seasons, as well as trails, tennis courts, a golf course and so on. All of these places have been around for 20-35 years and there are others in the area. So, all people have to do is ask.

BTW-How big are the apartments at Perry Point?

Old 03-12-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Vintage, no one is getting upset or thinks that people are saying that one area is better. We get that there are older complexes, but that doesn't make them of lower quality.

Also, apartment complexes can evolve too. For instance, Clayton Manor has added buildings since I left about 3 or 4 years ago. That is because the demand grew. High Acres didn't always have those things like a dog park. Village Green has Foxfire Golf Course right there. Radisson has basketball courts that light up and are open until 10 PM during certain seasons, as well as trails, tennis courts, a golf course and so on. All of these places have been around for 20-35 years and there are others in the area. So, all people have to do is ask.

BTW-How big are the apartments at Perry Point?
I agree with you, but I would argue that bolded point. We can agree to disagree. I'm not sure about size, but I will say that when I lived there (there meaning Raleigh, not Perry Point), those apartments, and the apartments of my friends, were insanely nice for apartments. I knew people paying $850 a month, and had a jetted jacuzzi bath, fireplace, granite countertops, 9 ft ceilings, hardwood floors and berber carpeting, stainless steel appliances, etc. The list goes on. I don't necessarily care about these things, and most of what I would like could be found anywhere. But there's no arguing that peoples current taste includes many of these things, otherwise these apartment complexes wouldn't spend money putting them in.

It could be something as simple as having a bathroom with the old style square tiles and linoleum floors vs. new subway tiles with travertine floors in the bathroom. Its the current taste, but both get the job done. I get that.

I for one, find the charm of clunky radiators, sagging ceilings, and glass knob doors in the old houses of the northeast to be more appealing than the new sheetrock walls and 6 panel masonite doors, with forced air heat of the homes in much of the new South. So your preaching to the converted with regard to older stock.

Also, I think the current state of the new South is that people are renting, not buying. Foreclosures are everywhere down in Raleigh. So, people want "home like" amenities in their rentals. Thats a huge driving force down there. I've seen 3 year leases down there.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 AM

Great point about foreclosures and how these places are viewed with having home like amenities. That makes a difference, as you can buy a decent home with a mortgage at the same price here. Most Northeastern metros have some of the lowest foreclosure rates in the country. Syracuse was or is first in that regard out of top 100 metros in the US. So, there are different dynamics involved.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Stinger- ALL the information you were looking for is in recent posts, in this thread, from Becca and CKH. Please consider dropping them from ignore, at least temporarily, so that you can get the information you need to be in a better living situation.
You're cool, proulxfamily. You were helpful and nice in a previous thread last year. I'm not defending or denying the OP, actually I didn't read his whole OP. But I do think he is entitled to his opinion, and the facts as he sees them. Whether or not they are accurate or not with regard to dogs or price, etc.

Not sure what the point of ignoring people on this is, myself. Its just words.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:19 AM

Vintage, are you in the area now?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:32 AM

2,287 posts, read 1,931,187 times
Places like that Perry Point are definitely way more expensive though too. Prices vary greatly for a one bedroom that's less than 800SF from over $700 to over $1000.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Places like that Perry Point are definitely way more expensive though too. Prices vary greatly for a one bedroom that's less than 800SF from over $700 to over $1000.
That's what I was wondering about.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Vintage, are you in the area now?
I live in Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area