U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,973,691 times

Advertisements

I'll bite, about what I don't like about Syracuse.

For the City itself-

I detest the self-deprecating commentary from its residents. I'm glad for the many new-bloods, who see enormous potential and invest in it.

I wish there were clean-up-athons. Community glue, that is, when the residents have invested their own time and work for clean streets and safe neighborhoods.

Probably a new police force... residents should not fear the police. What happened to asking a cop for directions and getting good customer service? We PAY them. There are a few good apples... but the others often view everyone as a potential criminal.

Community gardens/fundraising/urban-farmers' markets on vacant lots. Let people educate each other! No fees or taxes on urban-farming space or products. Public co-ops. There needs to be an additional financial incentive to living in the city, other than cheap property where it and you/your family will HOPEFULLY be safe. Perhaps offer reduced taxes for participation, since the presence of vigilant citizens would save on public works projects and the need for law enforcement.

NO MORE TAX BREAKS FOR CONGEL and absentee owners. OVER. No extensions, no deals and no more waste. Fill up those buildings with the many who WANT this market.

For the area of Syracuse-

MY GAWD- WHY is there no four-year SUNY school, here?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,676,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
There's another "trick." If you want a village lifestyle - realistic walkability to conveniences and recreation - look up the village limits. Buy a home close to that line... like just past the sidewalk or across the street. It's about the same distance and there are "magically" no village taxes. It effectively cuts your taxes by 25%.

I think the market will correct this issue on its own, if governments let it, that is. People won't be able to sell their homes and will clamour for this issue to be resolved. It's ridiculous.

I'm not upset over my village taxes, btw. They pay for many conveniences, on their own. I go to every village board meeting and there is zero cronyism and the mayor and trustees are VERY frugal. I cannot say the same for the town... they're all right with the budget but that's because of a few vigilant board members, who hold the others' feet to the ethical fire. Thankfully.
Homes in my price range are few and far between in places like Manlius anyway. When I see a nice house for $119k, I know I can afford it in NC. But not NY, village or not.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Homes in my price range are few and far between in places like Manlius anyway. When I see a nice house for $119k, I know I can afford it in NC. But not NY, village or not.
lol - don't threaten me with a good time! Give me your specs and I'll do my best to find it. The process of this sort of thing always teaches me more than what I originally intended.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 AM

56,525 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
I didn't agree with one of his claims in particular, but people seem to be harping on this "30 minutes to Baldwinsville thing" - where's the beef with that?

I live in midtown, don't get to Baldwinsville very often. Last time I did, though, I remember thinking "Jesus, this place is out there." I think it took me about 30 minutes to get from my place (via I-81 at Harrison to I-690). Google Maps tells me it's 23, but 30 doesn't seem a stretch.
I guess, but I'd say that 30 minutes is rare given that Auburn, which is 25 miles from Syracuse, takes about 30-35 minutes. My wife works in Auburn and it may take her 40 minutes to get to work and she takes the Thruway for most of it.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:46 AM

Also- it's the school tax that kills everyone. Look it up... they're easily half.

F-M pays about $17K per student, per year. I've been campaigning for Dr. Ron Paul for a while now... and people scoff at his ideas. For education, he proposes a $5K tax CREDIT - per student, per year - for students who are homeschooled. The dubious think he's pandering.

That would save our district $12K per child, per year. How awesome would it be, to have lower property taxes, a parent home with their child/ren, and a better-tended lifestyle for all families? This is called Win-Win. A parent at home to educate, to care for the home, to educate/care for the home via teaching the children to maintain and improve it and oneself, as a life experience? We have 3 children- many homes would be able to afford to stay home (income - childcare, clothes, commuting expenses - including a second vehicle for a household, doctor's visits, sick days off since children with a temp of 100+ aren't legally ALLOWED in legal childcare facilities/homes, convenience items/meals, bonding activities to make the most of not being with the children, etc.)

That's the kind of culture I want to experience.

eta: Apologies, for the political tangent. lol

Old 03-13-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
On the other hand, many Southern states have a property tax on vehicles and other items in some cases. Sprawl also effects things in terms of costs by being more car reliant. You also will and have seen tax increases in many Southern states/areas. So, when adding things up, the difference in overall costs aren't much different between Upstate NY and many Southern states/areas.

Even that house in Wake Forest wasn't anything uncommon in the Syracuse area and the posting of homes from the cnyhomes website shows that.
Ok- gauntlet has been thrown. Please show me a house comparable to this house, which is the one we were talking about, in Wake Forest, in a similar community in Syracuse:

1406 Cedar Branch CT Wake Forest NC - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1817461 - Realtor.com®

OK- that's 3 bed, 3 bath, 1300 sq. ft on a 1/3 acre, in a suburb (not the city), with a nice updated kitchen like this one, fireplace, hardwood floors, etc. I know this neighborhood, and its really nice, so don't try and stick me in Solvay or some industrial area!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:51 AM

56,525 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Like proulx is alluding to, try and see. You may be surprised. I saw a 2100 sq. ft. home in Camillus for 129,900 on the list of homes I posted for you. Even with the posted taxes I saw, it comes to a wash in comparison to the Wake Forest home you posted. So, you may be surprised.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Ok- gauntlet has been thrown. Please show me a house comparable to this house, which is the one we were talking about, in Wake Forest, in a similar community in Syracuse:

1406 Cedar Branch CT Wake Forest NC - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1817461 - Realtor.com®
No- no comparable to that home, exclusively. Tell me about what kind of work you do, your commuting [or lack of] requirements, your preferable lifestyle and aspirations, and budget.

From state to state, the budgetary allotments are different. You may save enormously, in a line item you didn't realize, and be able to afford a life you didn't know was possible for x number of dollars.

I've been poor, single and with a family... you can do a LOT on very little. My in-laws just moved down from NH (Dartmouth area) and were stunned, when we went over the numbers. It is MUCH cheaper for them to live in Manlius than their paid-for home, up there.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Also- it's the school tax that kills everyone. Look it up... they're easily half.

F-M pays about $17K per student, per year. I've been campaigning for Dr. Ron Paul for a while now... and people scoff at his ideas. For education, he proposes a $5K tax CREDIT - per student, per year - for students who are homeschooled. The dubious think he's pandering.

That would save our district $12K per child, per year. How awesome would it be, to have lower property taxes, a parent home with their child/ren, and a better-tended lifestyle for all families? This is called Win-Win. A parent at home to educate, to care for the home, to educate/care for the home via teaching the children to maintain and improve it and oneself, as a life experience?

That's the kind of culture I want to experience.

eta: Apologies, for the political tangent. lol
I was also supporting Ron Paul. Unfortunately, I feel like he has no chance. End political rant.

My requirements aren't too complex. I need a decent house where my monthly payment is around $900 a month. PITI. 2 bed/2 bath in a suburban location. That house on Garrett Drive was perfect- strongly desire a fireplace and basement, garage, and I hate raised ranches (that rules out Clay and Cicero). I like Manlius, Camillus (maybe) and anywhere with hills. Hate flat land. Manlius is probably the town I would want. I just calculated the STAR reduction of the house in Manlius on Garrett Drive, and it would drop the taxes to $4360 or so. That might get me under $1k a month on that place, if I was interested.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 AM

580 posts, read 1,015,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I guess, but I'd say that 30 minutes is rare given that Auburn, which is 25 miles from Syracuse, takes about 30-35 minutes. My wife works in Auburn and it may take her 40 minutes to get to work and she takes the Thruway for most of it.
Might be uncommon for it to take as many as 30 (especially during a mild winter), but it's probably not too far off. Faster, of course, to get up there from the west side of downtown than from my neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or