U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:40 PM

45 posts, read 89,322 times

Advertisements

As someone who has just recently moved into the syracuse area, I would like to give my opinion. I had to move to the area fairly quick as I had one month to find a place and move in. My fiance and I did not even visit the area as we had a friend in the area that gave us an overview of certain areas. We have a pet so our options were limited. We decided on a town house in camillus. I will tell you that it is an old complex and parts of the town house are outdated, but we were able to make it our own with some decorating. It is a 2 bedroom and around 1000 sq feet, which is plenty of space. We have been here for about a month and other than the complex being dated, we are enjoying everything. I love camillus as it is so close to tons of shopping and restaurants, and also a quick drive to all other parts of syracuse by getting on the highway. I just wanted to say I am happy to be in syracuse and so far we like the area a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 05:27 PM

56,283 posts, read 80,465,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
Clearly, this guy was too busy writing a fictional story about Syracuse apartments instead of actually looking for apartments.
I'm kind of in this train of thought in the sense that it didn't seem like he asked for advice first of all. It kind of reminds me of LoveMountains when we would suggest other areas to her, but it seemed like it went on deaf ears.
So, it isn't like the OP did have a place to ask for advice.

People can any opinion they want, but when you are new to an area, it is tough to get idea of where things are if you do not ask and do not have a clue as to where to look.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:54 PM

37 posts, read 58,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
Honestly, I don't have time to read your whole thread so I dont know if you stated this but why not look at town houses? There are a lot of nice ones in Clay and in Cicero...I'm sure in other areas as well.
I looked at three. Wanna hear that story? I'll save time and tell you about the best of the three. I walked in and the walls were filthy. Went into the tiny little living room and there were gouges in the wall. The downstairs bathroom had a cracked in the sink that spanned the entire width and the owner told me she wasn't going to replace it because it didn't leak. The upstairs bathroom had 3 gouges in the sink and she wasn't going to fix that either. As we walked back downstairs I notice a four foot long crack in the stairwell wall. She said she wasn't going to fix that either because it hadn't given her any problems so far. We then went down to the basement which reeked of urine. You know why? Because that's where she let's her dog wiz, and she said I could do the same if it was too cold for the dog to go outside. I left.

Keep in mind, that was the best of the three I saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
You probably should've posted here beforehand - many people on this forum have experiences with different apt complexes around the area.
I did. All I heard was how great the apartments were up here. Not saying anyone was lying, just sayin' that what is "nice" up here is different from many people's expectations.

Quote:
There are several very nice complexes that don't have any of those problems.
Name three that aren't broken down, allow pets, and aren't over $850.00 a month. Ten bucks says I've been there and I'll be happy to tell you my experiences.

Quote:
And unless you visited EVERY single apt complex in the area, I think it's unfair to say that EVERY single apt complex is like this.
Please show me where I said that every single apt complex is like this.

Quote:
I prefer flats over apt complexes any day. Craigslist is your best bet for finding nice flats
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Same situation. Thanks anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
Anyone who says that apartments in Syracuse are small has precious little real-world rental experience.
As I said, I have owned a home for the past decade. I lived exclusively in apartments before that. I'm not saying that they are all tiny, but relatively speaking they are small compared to the other 4 states that I rented apartments in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I agree. My old apartment at Clayton Manor Apartments was close to 900 sq. ft. with 2 bedrooms and the rent was 595-620 a month. I lived there from 2003 to 2008. Utilities were usually 65 dollars or so a month. This was in the older part, but they were quiet and clean. There were other amenities there as well. So, this must be a matter of not asking around on the part of the OP.
I guess times have changed...

Clayton Manor Apartments for Rent | Liverpool NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

Let me know if you find a time machine that will take me back to 2008, and thanks for playing. BTW, see the part where it says NO PETS?

Quote:
Yeah, the Covered Bridge comment was a red flag, as was the Baldwinsville is 30 minutes away from Downtown Syracuse comment. Heck, Cortland is roughly 30 minutes from Downtown Syracuse and that is in the middle of the next county south of Syracuse. While there are good and rough pockets, there are parts of the city that are fine in large chunks and outside of city limits has literally few rough areas, if you could call them that.

Also, there was no mention of apartments in the Cicero-North Syracuse area, apartments in the Westhill SD, the Fayetteville-Manlius area and a few other areas.

Here are some apartments with fitness rooms: Syracuse Apartments with Fitness Center For Rent | ApartmentFinder.com

Another thing people forget about is that you can get a house with a mortgage that is on par with rent around here. So, if that is an option, then go for it.
Thanks for the reply, and I looked at the link you provided. I'm wondering if you did...

Regency Tower - $970 for a two bedroom, $835 for a 1 bedroom. No dogs
Brownstone Luxury - 600 sq ft studios.
Chestnut Crossing - Been there, it's a dump. Also, no dogs
One Franklin Sq. - 1 Bedrooms are $850.00 plus $40 a month pet fee
The Meadows - No dogs, $850.00 a month
Charter Oaks - Seriously? Have you driven thru the neighborhood?
Kings Gate West - You ever wonder why some apartment complexes post 10 pics of the outside but don't include any of the actual inside of the apartment? If so, take a tour of King's Gate and you'll see why.

Let me know if you want me to keep going.

Quote:
Exact same link that the last guy posted with the same results. See above.

Quote:
I'm kind of in this train of thought in the sense that it didn't seem like he asked for advice first of all.
Sure I did. I got back a lot of nice replies telling me how good the rental situation is up here. I'm sure they weren't lying, you all just have a different definition of nice.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:18 PM

So, what do you consider to be nice and who told you about the rental situation here? Also, there are other apartment guides for the area as well. Is buying a house an option?

BTW- Clayton Manor wasn't about your situation, but to illustrate the size of the apartment in relation to rent. I did say that I lived on the older side, which is more affordable and is still nice.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
So, what do you consider to be nice and who told you about the rental situation here? Also, there are other apartment guides for the area as well. Is buying a house an option?

BTW- Clayton Manor wasn't about your situation, but to illustrate the size of the apartment in relation to rent. I did say that I lived on the older side, which is more affordable and is still nice.
So basically you just kinda jumped in to tell us how cool Clayton Manor was in 2008. Thanks...

Old 03-09-2012, 06:27 PM

Also, how do you live an hour away, but you have a Liverpool zip code(13088) in your profile?

Old 03-09-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger6 View Post
So basically you just kinda jumped in to tell us how cool Clayton Manor was in 2008. Thanks...
No and I explained that in the post, if you read it. I did at least remember that it is in Liverpool.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Also, how do you live an hour away, but you have a Liverpool zip code(13088) in your profile?
I dunno. I don't live in Liverpool nor did I ever enter that info. Thanks for the head's up.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger6 View Post
Hold on, lemme check...The sign across the street says "Henderson Free Library", so I thinks it's safe to say I don't live in Liverpool.
So, you know about rentals in the area, but went all the way to Henderson for an apartment? What, Oswego, Cortland, Auburn or Brewerton didn't do it for you? Seriously, you have a Liverpool zip code on your profile and only you can put it there. Interesting.....

Old 03-09-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
So, you know about rentals in the area, but went all the way to Henderson for an apartment? What, Oswego, Cortland, Auburn or Brewerton didn't do it for you? Seriously, you have a Liverpool zip code on your profile and only you can put it there. Interesting.....
I know you didn't read all of my OP, but there is a story behind the whole Henderson thing. As far as your suspicions about Liverpool, why would I lie? If I lives there I wouldn't be telling stories about my ongoing apartment search, and why would I put Liverpool in a profile that I created before I moved here? I didn't even know Liverpool existed.

And most importantly, why the hell are you so hung up on my profile?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or