U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-11-2012, 10:34 AM
 
2,440 posts, read 4,978,358 times
Reputation: 1973

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, let other people find out that these apartments take dogs. Talk about being exposed.
Truly. You don't want to be "that smelly, loud, dog place."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2012, 11:07 AM
 
56,696 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Reputation: 12530
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Truly. You don't want to be "that smelly, loud, dog place."
Perhaps.... I was saying also in terms of others calling these places and actually finding out that they take dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 11:20 AM
 
2,440 posts, read 4,978,358 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps.... I was saying also in terms of others calling these places and actually finding out that they take dogs.
Still- it would be full of dogs. Do dog-owners - truly, now - want to be full of dogs?

No- you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 03:32 PM
 
56,696 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Reputation: 12530
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Still- it would be full of dogs. Do dog-owners - truly, now - want to be full of dogs?

No- you don't.
Very good point. That's why you can't rule out rental homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Deep in the Woods
2,567 posts, read 2,682,343 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You can find similar complexes up here too. So, that's not really the issue. When the OP says that people told him about apartments, he doesn't give any names. So, it sounds fishy.

Where in Upstate NY are you from? Upstate NY varies, as Syracuse and say Elmira aren't the same.
Not anywhere near the abundance as down south. Look, I'm not interested in making this a north v south thread. I've been through Syracuse a few times, seems like a fine place to me. But the fact is that apartments, anywhere upstate and generally in the northeast, are just not as nice as the apartments down south.

I lived in Q-bury for a while. It was ok there. I was lucky to live in a complex that had owners as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 AM
 
37 posts, read 58,582 times
Reputation: 21
Thanks Vintage. Of those that have posted on this thread that have experience here and in the south, the feeling is generally the same. My mistake was relying on internet advertisement from places like apartmentfinder.com. I see now that all of the pictures are staged to show the very best aspects of the places. The one big difference I noticed here as opposed to the greater Raleigh-Durham area is the lack of apartments that are in-between luxury and ghetto. That was the type of place my wife and I had planned on moving into.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I would advise you to go out and buy a flame retardant suit if you're going to stick around

Last edited by Stinger6; 03-12-2012 at 02:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 02:51 AM
 
37 posts, read 58,582 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I think the agitation you're seeing from regulars is because many of us are (or know) renters with dogs... renters who don't live in a hovel and don't pay way above market for it.
I see your point. I don't think that justifies the treatment I received from the two on my iggy list, but I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

Quote:
The truth is that personally, most of those people I know rent from private landlords... the kind where you're driving around, see a sign and call.
I haven't seen any of those signs so far, but that's a good idea and I will keep my eyes peeled. What areas do you suggest I look in?

Quote:
You DON'T tell them that you have a pet, up front. You show up, take a tour and bring out your darling, well-behaved pet from the car... showing the landlord that this sweet thing won't hurt his investment.
That's really funny because I know someone who did the same thing, only he waited until move-in day to bring Rover around. The landlord said "Hey, the lease said no dogs.", to which my co-worker replied "OMG, I didn't' see that." It was a small well-behaved dog so the landloard relented. I like your way better, though.

Quote:
But that's a lot more work than internet searches will provide.
Thanks for the advice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 06:18 AM
 
2,440 posts, read 4,978,358 times
Reputation: 1973
Stinger- I assume Becca is on your "iggy list?" She called Morris Management yesterday morning and they do allow dogs, just not "aggressive breeds." You might want to call and arrange a look-see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 06:40 AM
 
37 posts, read 58,582 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Stinger- I assume Becca is on your "iggy list?" She called Morris Management yesterday morning and they do allow dogs, just not "aggressive breeds." You might want to call and arrange a look-see.
She got a hold of them on a Sunday morning? Wow, I'm impressed! And yes, she is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Capitol Hill - Washington, DC
3,168 posts, read 4,653,198 times
Reputation: 3395
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Stinger- I assume Becca is on your "iggy list?" She called Morris Management yesterday morning and they do allow dogs, just not "aggressive breeds." You might want to call and arrange a look-see.
Maybe give him the number I posted since he has me on ignore. This guy is beyond full of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:13 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top