U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-12-2012, 07:19 AM
 
56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Reputation: 12507

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Maybe give him the number I posted since he has me on ignore. This guy is beyond full of it.
I know. So, if we start calling around to these places and find out the truth, what can be said after that?

Also, the problem is not with finding a high quality apartment that has reasonable rental prices, it is the point proulxfamily made in that do these buildings want to be the "dog building or apartments". So, the issue is the dog friendly part, not the apartments. Clayton Manor has all of those amenities, but they do not take pets. Hence, the reason I mentioned it earlier.

You also can't compare the Glens Falls area to Syracuse or Raleigh-Durham, as there are more people in the city of Syracuse than there are people in the Glens Falls metro area. So, that is an apples to oranges comparison.

What's even more crazy is that Becca and I were still trying to help the OP out and have provided information that gave him something close or similar to what he wanted. So, that can make people skeptical as to what the OP really wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2012, 07:24 AM
 
2,440 posts, read 4,976,044 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger6 View Post
She got a hold of them on a Sunday morning? Wow, I'm impressed! And yes, she is...
She called the number listed for Morris Management, on their website, and an employee responded to her inquiry. That number is 638-2313, if you'd like to set up a tour with them. Townhouse East is a very conveniently-located complex and is on a bus line, in case you ever have car trouble or would like to use public transportation to save on gasoline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 AM
 
56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Reputation: 12507
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
She called the number listed for Morris Management, on their website, and an employee responded to her inquiry. That number is 638-2313, if you'd like to set up a tour with them. Townhouse East is a very conveniently-located complex and is on a bus line, in case you ever have car trouble or would like to use public transportation to save on gasoline.
proulx, basically the guy blocked both of us even when we have given examples of places that fit much of what he is looking for. So, that is why it seems like he is ignoring some possibly valuable information, when in fact, he just blocked us. Hence, the skepticism......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 08:05 AM
 
56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Reputation: 12507
Wow! High Acres even has a dog park, a fitness room, a swimming pool, tennis courts and is in one of the best school districts in Upstate NY(Westhill). So much for not having those amenities......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 AM
 
56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Reputation: 12507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Wow! High Acres even has a dog park, a fitness room, a swimming pool, tennis courts and is in one of the best school districts in Upstate NY(Westhill). So much for not having those amenities......
I just called them and they said that dogs can be had in the townhouses, which start at 870 a month, but they are running a special for 50 dollars of a month for 12 months. Dog fee is 200 dollars, with the fee being 30 dollars a month. Man, it is amazing how I could find this out by researching and making a simple call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 08:13 AM
 
56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Reputation: 12507
Oh by the way, I called Briarcliff Estates and Apple Ridge/Willow Wood Apartments and both take dogs as well. Didn't know that LaFayette, Onondaga Hill and the Salt Springs neighborhood east of Seeley Road were "ghetto". What is ironic is that this thread has probably helped way more people than it is has detracted people from renting apartments in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 08:27 AM
 
Location: DeWitt, NY
1,002 posts, read 1,697,712 times
Reputation: 1424
Purely comparing apartment shopping in areas like parts of the south where growth was much more rapid in the last 30 years, yes, the apartment stock here will by and large not compare. There hasn't been reason for apartment complexes to pop up every year here like there has been in large parts of the south. And those that fit that bill know it, and charge accordingly. Welcome to the northeast :-)

So if you're looking purely for modern construction apartment complexes, and nothing dated at all, yes, you will find they aren't the norm in the area, because there hasn't been enough growth to support it. For example, Village Green (which was considered and rejected, if I'm recalling correctly) is perfectly nice as far as maintenance and everything else goes... but if modern's the goal, that ain't it.

ckh, I'm thinking "ghetto" was being used more in the appearance end - and, at least in the case of Briarcliff Estates, that one may come from its nearby neighbors. Most of the apartments on the side of the same hill are... quite lacking is an understatement. The complex itself is probably fine, from what I've heard, but its immediate apartment surroundings leave a lot to be desired. Mostly appearance-wise - there aren't any crime issues or anything like that with them that I've heard about - but they're definitely on the run-down track.

My experience renting here with a dog (granted a bit larger of a dog - I've got a 70-lb. Lab ) is that the market isn't great in your price range if you restrict your search to complexes - a lot of the complexes worth living in are either more expensive or aren't fans of dogs.

The apartments are a bit smaller than I think you were looking for, but I do know that Rugby Square does take dogs and are reasonably well kept up. Not super-modern, but definitely within that price range (on the low end of it, actually, if memory serves). Might be worth a glance. It's on the north side just southwest of Grant and Teall. Don't believe it has the other amenities - it's mostly *just* an apartment complex - but it might just fit the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Capitol Hill - Washington, DC
3,168 posts, read 4,650,279 times
Reputation: 3395
I'm fine with someone having a less than stellar rental experience, but the problem is that the info he is posting is just not true at all. He has been called out on it and rather than being open to the correct info, just ignores it altogether.

CKH - thanks for posting those apt complexes, I'm sure it will help others who are looking to rent. Never heard of High Acres before but that's pretty cool that they have their own dog park!

It looks like all of the DLH properties allow dogs and from the pics, alot of the complexes look very nice - DLH Properties

I personally don't like complexes and am much happier in a flat. What people sometimes fail to realize is that complexes tend to be more expensive because you're paying for all the amenities - pool, club house, fitness room, trash, snow removal, tennis courts, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 08:47 AM
 
56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Reputation: 12507
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Purely comparing apartment shopping in areas like parts of the south where growth was much more rapid in the last 30 years, yes, the apartment stock here will by and large not compare. There hasn't been reason for apartment complexes to pop up every year here like there has been in large parts of the south. And those that fit that bill know it, and charge accordingly. Welcome to the northeast :-)

So if you're looking purely for modern construction apartment complexes, and nothing dated at all, yes, you will find they aren't the norm in the area, because there hasn't been enough growth to support it. For example, Village Green (which was considered and rejected, if I'm recalling correctly) is perfectly nice as far as maintenance and everything else goes... but if modern's the goal, that ain't it.

ckh, I'm thinking "ghetto" was being used more in the appearance end - and, at least in the case of Briarcliff Estates, that one may come from its nearby neighbors. Most of the apartments on the side of the same hill are... quite lacking is an understatement. The complex itself is probably fine, from what I've heard, but its immediate apartment surroundings leave a lot to be desired. Mostly appearance-wise - there aren't any crime issues or anything like that with them that I've heard about - but they're definitely on the run-down track.

My experience renting here with a dog (granted a bit larger of a dog - I've got a 70-lb. Lab ) is that the market isn't great in your price range if you restrict your search to complexes - a lot of the complexes worth living in are either more expensive or aren't fans of dogs.

The apartments are a bit smaller than I think you were looking for, but I do know that Rugby Square does take dogs and are reasonably well kept up. Not super-modern, but definitely within that price range (on the low end of it, actually, if memory serves). Might be worth a glance. It's on the north side just southwest of Grant and Teall. Don't believe it has the other amenities - it's mostly *just* an apartment complex - but it might just fit the bill.
I agree and I think everyone here understood that, but like you said that doesn't mean that they are necessarily run down or that you can't find the amenities that the OP is looking for. For instance, High Acres actually has everything the OP wants, except that is has been around for about 30-35 years. It is well kept and is in a very safe area. So, it isn't like he has to give up too much if he really looks. When I called, the lady was looking for me to come in and take a look at a Townhouse and they don't have any weight restrictions in terms of dogs. When a complex has a dog park, that has to tell you something.

Good point about some of the apartment buildings near Briarcliff Estates, as some are slipping in terms of looks. Briarcliff is still a solid choice from what I've seen and know though.

Rugby Square would still be good in terms of shopping, being in the Sedgwick neighborhood, being on a bus line, having quick access to the highway and there are a couple of gyms within a short distance by car. So, it could work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 AM
 
2,440 posts, read 4,976,044 times
Reputation: 1973
Stinger- ALL the information you were looking for is in recent posts, in this thread, from Becca and CKH. Please consider dropping them from ignore, at least temporarily, so that you can get the information you need to be in a better living situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top