Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2007, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 14,100 times

Advertisements

My family and I are seriously considering a move to the Syracuse area. After doing some research, we have just fallen in love with the area. However, the taxes are a bit scary. We are considering Manlius and Baldwinsville, but the taxes in Elbridge, along with its small town feel, make that area a little more tempting. Is anyone here familiar with its pros and cons? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 08:30 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,224,806 times
Three very different types of communities you're looking at.

Manlius is an upscale suburb of Syracuse that spread out into what had been a small CNY town on the southern hills. B'ville is more middle class town located along the riverfront canal system not far from the new mall. Elbridge is a rural community within driving distance to Syracuse or Skaneateles with many farms in the area. It's going to be a lot quieter than the other two.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:15 PM

4 posts, read 14,100 times
Thank you for the info!

Yes, we are looking at different areas for a reason. We would be selling our home on Long Island. The houses we are looking at in Manlius (in the 300-350K range) are significantly less expensive than the house we would be selling. We are considering how large of a mortgage we are willing to carry.

Now, after looking into them some more, I think the homes I have been looking at may really be in Jordan.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:43 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,224,806 times
Jordan is next to Elbridge and they share the same school district. Tiny downtown of 2-3 shops, large firemen's fall festival.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:20 AM

142 posts, read 808,842 times
I live in Skaneateles, which is right next to Jordan and Elbridge. Even though they are two separate towns, most people lump them together due to the combined school district and the size of the school. I really don't know much about either town. They are very rural and small so you can reliably bet life is pretty quiet. Some of the older homes are beautiful, but in general, many of the homes are in need of some tlc. Not much of a business district to mention, just a few areas.
Have you considered Marcellus, or Skaneateles? Marcellus is bigger than Jordan-Elbridge (honestly, everything is) and has a great small town feel, a viable and interesting downtown, and is reasonably priced. Schools are great. Skaneateles has all the above and more, but housing prices are a lot higher. However, coming from LI (I'm from Fairfield County), you may find the prices in Skaneateles not so daunting.
Joanne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area