U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 29 days ago)

31,894 posts, read 37,849,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I think this explains why there is so much construction going on right now. State and Federal funding has been the only reason there has been so much activity in this area. None of them want to miss out on free money and know it will all dry up eventually.
Not necessarily given the construction that has also occurred on the SU campus and with some of the things occurring with the Near West Side.

Government is involved in various projects across this country that creates jobs. Whether it is through tax breaks or other types of funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:22 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,122,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not necessarily given the construction that has also occurred on the SU campus and with some of the things occurring with the Near West Side.
There is free money available through tax breaks, Save The Water program, USGBC, HUD, and other special programs. These programs have stimulated the economy and forced people off the fence on projects. It has been good for the local economy, bu not so great on a system that is already broken and in debt. It will dry up, so everyone wants to cash in while they can.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
There is free money available through tax breaks, Save The Water program, USGBC, HUD, and other special programs. These programs have stimulated the economy and forced people off the fence on projects. It has been good for the local economy, bu not so great on a system that is already broken and in debt. It will dry up, so everyone wants to cash in while they can.
Well, welcome to the United States of America. Unfortunately, NY and this area is far from alone in that regard. Tax breaks have been a big reason the South has seen certain projects and industries locate there. It makes you wonder why so many state governments are in varying degrees of debt.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:38 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,383,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I'm not really sure what the future brings so I don't know how I would have voted in this poll.

Syracuse is the 5th most pessimistic metro out of 190 in the US. People in this metro, in which I live, hold out less hope then Utica but much more then Binghamton.

Provo-Orem, Utah, Leads U.S. Metro Areas in City Optimism
Forbes ranked Syracuse as 3rd best city to find a job, today a poll comes out ranking Syracuse as the 5th most pessimistic. There seems to be a disconnect, perception vs. reality. The Forbes survey (based on Manpower data) is based on "hard" data (reality), but questions on optimism and pessimism are subjective (perception).

The Best And Worst Cities For Jobs This Spring - Forbes
No. 3 Syracuse, N.Y. - Jacquelyn Smith - Forbes

Miami was recently ranked the most miserable city in the Country to work in, West Palm Beach ranked 4th and Fort Lauderdale ranked 7th most miserable cities. Syracuse ranked the 8th happiest City to work in:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/02/06/where-are-americas-most-miserable-cities/
http://www.careerbliss.com/happiest-...est-cities-16/

You seemed to have missed that one!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 03-15-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 02:49 PM

2,622 posts, read 1,690,788 times
All these different polls, Forbes is the worst, mean nothing to me except fun little talking points.

Go to the forums of the "winning" cities and everyone thinks they are awesomeness. The "losing" cities think they are crap. The following year things reverse and so do peoples opinions.

Recently Buffalo got hit pretty hard in a Forbes thingie. So in Buffalo they hate Forbes. Next year they will word something different and Buffalo will win and all will be right with the World. Until the next time.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:07 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,383,208 times
Quote:
All these different polls, Forbes is the worst, mean nothing to me except fun little talking points.

Go to the forums of the "winning" cities and everyone thinks they are awesomeness. The "losing" cities think they are crap. The following year things reverse and so do peoples opinions.

Recently Buffalo got hit pretty hard in a Forbes thingie. So in Buffalo they hate Forbes. Next year they will word something different and Buffalo will win and all will be right with the World. Until the next time.
I think "Forbes is the worst" (for you) because it does not conform to your negative perception of the area or your circumstances. I think there is a big difference between a subjective poll that asks if their city is "crap" as you put it, or an analytical survey of 18,000 employers asked if they are going to hire. I will admit the "Miserable vs. Happiest City to work in" is subjective, I take subjective polls with a grain of salt. However, I gravitate to the positive ones.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:31 PM

2,622 posts, read 1,690,788 times
Sorry I didn't mean this particular Forbes poll is the worst I meant Forbes is the worst at cranking out these polls.

My bad.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Sorry I didn't mean this particular Forbes poll is the worst I meant Forbes is the worst at cranking out these polls.

My bad.
I'll agree with that, but there are some that are more reasonable than others. Manpower would also have to take the heat for the survey.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:44 AM

85 posts, read 60,757 times
Well Rollsroyce, it looks like your right about the center of excellence (not that I doubted what you stated about it). Innovation Trail did an article about it today describing how it still is looking for tenants. I think it will fill up once they actually build the parking lot next to it and expand a bit. The main problem with scientific growth right now is that funding is incredibly hard to come by for researchers. Currently, most federal grants have a 5-8 percent funding rate and industry money is hard to come by as companies have cut back a bit on development. In the next few years, as the economy improves and funding becomes less scarce, these buildings will become more utilized.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:29 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,938,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrosine View Post
Well Rollsroyce, it looks like your right about the center of excellence (not that I doubted what you stated about it). Innovation Trail did an article about it today describing how it still is looking for tenants. I think it will fill up once they actually build the parking lot next to it and expand a bit. The main problem with scientific growth right now is that funding is incredibly hard to come by for researchers. Currently, most federal grants have a 5-8 percent funding rate and industry money is hard to come by as companies have cut back a bit on development. In the next few years, as the economy improves and funding becomes less scarce, these buildings will become more utilized.
I honestly wish I was wrong and the COE became an economic engine. I'm glad WRVO took the initiative to investigate this project, something The Post-Standard has continually failed to do. It looks like Bogucz and SU are becoming desperate if they are handing over space to ESF for a research lab. This is simply a transfer of jobs and equipment from several blocks away. It has now become obvious all of the grandoise visions of the COE attracting cutting edge companies in energy and environmental systems and growing "several thousand" jobs was just hot air, poor economy or not. I agree that federal and state funding for research has dried up considerably, but that hasn't stopped the DOE from awarding significant funding for similiar operations in other states. SU was in the running for around $100 million in federal funding that would have potentially kick started the COE. The money ultimately went to Philadelphia which is located in a key swing state crucial for the president's 2012 re-election campaign.

While Syracuse does a have a cluster of cleantech companies, there is no evidence that said firms have added employment since the COE was first envisioned. Actually, according to a report comissioned by the hacks at CenterState CEO, the sector lossed jobs over a multi-year period that ended just before the recession began to take hold.

Depsite several glowing reports and rankings about Syracuse's clean tech industry, not one project in this sector has located in CNY over the last few years. Other cities like Pittsburgh and many communities out west seem to be light years ahead of Syracuse when it comes to attacting investment and jobs in this field. I don't mean to be negative, but have become very skeptical about the ability of local leadership, namely CenterState CEO and their failed track record of getting anything done. SU has also done an abysmal of expanding research capabilities and attracting private sector partners. Landing the JP Morgan Chase Technology Center was a big win but efforts to develop the "Research Park" on South Campus have gone no where in 20 years and Welch Allyn pulled out of their Blue Highway reserach center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area