U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-14-2012, 06:33 PM

9 posts, read 4,914 times
Default Opinions on these locations

Long time lurker, first time poster. Been reading a lot of threads here as I am in the early stages of making my move to syracuse. I am planning a trip in early april to take a look at some places and wanted to get some opinions on a few places I found via craigslist and other sites. I am really looking to know if these places are in safe areas. I know from reading numerous threads that their are "pockets" in most areas but just general overall safety or just your general observations would be much appreciated.

1. 207 North Townsend Street, Syracuse, NY 13224

2. 207 Brookford Road, Syracuse

3. 361 Gertrude Street, Syracuse

4. Nob Hill Apartments

5. Westcott Street (didn't have exact address and person hasn't emailed me back yet with that info)

6. North Ave-Eastwood (again, don't have address yet)

Thanks for the help. Looking forward to making the move soon.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 07:15 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,986,982 times
Hey there!! My comments below in red -

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigempoct View Post

1. 207 North Townsend Street, Syracuse, NY 13224 - This is an iffy area, hopefully others can point you a solid direction either way. It's right next to Hawley-Green and a sort of bad area of Burnet. But I had a friend that lived up the street on McBride and that was fine.

2. 207 Brookford Road, Syracuse - This is more East Syracuse and I don't know much about that area

3. 361 Gertrude Street, Syracuse - This one is still in the general Hawley-Green area which isn't too great of an area

4. Nob Hill Apartments - Further south towards the Valley, I'm not familiar with these

5. Westcott Street (didn't have exact address and person hasn't emailed me back yet with that info) - Westcott is generally a good area - alot of multi-cultural/international type places. Also has a younger population and students favor this area

6. North Ave-Eastwood (again, don't have address yet) - Eastwood is considered a walkable area with James St right nearby. I have a friend that lives over there and really likes it

Thanks for the help. Looking forward to making the move soon.

Is there anything specific you are looking for? We can make some recommendations on areas based on what you want/need.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:48 PM

919 posts, read 998,355 times
Quote:
4. Nob Hill Apartments
Mostly echoing Becca... Nob Hill's a perfectly decent complex. Gets a fair number of grad students being on a bus line direct to SU. It's right on the Syracuse/Jamesville (Southwood end) line.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:54 PM

30,794 posts, read 35,834,492 times
I'd say
1. Iffy area. Will depend on one's comfortability

2. In one of the best areas of the city just off of Meadowbrook.

3. Seeing that it is closer to Oak, you should generally be fine. Not too far from a slowly gentrifying Hawley-Green area, but also close to some nice streets in the Lincoln Hill/Park area.

4. Fine and safe area. Many international students live in there, but it is a mix of people.

5. Generally fine. I'd dare say that south of Euclid tends to be quieter and is also close to Barry Park. Business district between Dell and Euclid, with it being more compact between Dell and Concord Place. Has a mix of offerings from restaurants, clothing, a library, theater, bars/lounge, cafe, floral shop, bike shop, African dance studio, etc. Cultural festival early September either 2nd or 3rd weekend. Diverse group of folks. Also, has Thornden Park close by and was named a top 10 neighborhood a few years ago.

6. Fine street, but has public housing nearby. Still a generally safe area, with some private apartments close by, dare I say, looking a bit tired.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:54 PM

thank you all for such quick replies and your input. Based on what you guys have said I think I am going to narrow my search down for the time being to nob hill and westcott. Not going to limit myself of course but I figure I can start there based on your advice.

I am coming from Chicago so I am used to city and suburb living (have done both) so my comfort level should be just fine anywhere. I am not very picky but my real only concern is being able to find something short term (3 or 4 months) as I plan on moving in with someone down the road.

Is it right in assuming that based on my time frame I should focus more on flats and private rentals instead of complexes? I figure I would be able to negotiate better that way. Thanks again from the help

Old 03-14-2012, 10:43 PM

30,794 posts, read 35,834,492 times
These websites may help: MapsKrieg - Syracuse, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale

Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartment Rentals, Commercial Management, Interim Management and More...

The Sutton Companies | Real Estate Management, Brokerage and Development

http://tempoenterprisesllc.com/

Also, what is your rent range?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 AM

919 posts, read 998,355 times
Quote:
thank you all for such quick replies and your input. Based on what you guys have said I think I am going to narrow my search down for the time being to nob hill and westcott. Not going to limit myself of course but I figure I can start there based on your advice.

I am coming from Chicago so I am used to city and suburb living (have done both) so my comfort level should be just fine anywhere. I am not very picky but my real only concern is being able to find something short term (3 or 4 months) as I plan on moving in with someone down the road.

Is it right in assuming that based on my time frame I should focus more on flats and private rentals instead of complexes? I figure I would be able to negotiate better that way. Thanks again from the help
If you're looking for short term, you may have better luck looking for sublets in the Westcott area moreso than complexes. A 12 month lease is more or less the norm, so complexes may be reluctant to go shorter.

OrangeHousing.com tends to be a decent resource in the Westcott area as well.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:35 AM

2,373 posts, read 2,963,713 times
Quote:

You also might want to call a realty firm and ask if there are any foreclosing properties that would welcome a renter in the interim, provided the soon-to-be-former owners are gone, of course. You might get a STEAL that way, especially for a short-term or month-to-month lease. And you'd also be able to get a better feel for where you want to be, in this area, before committing to a full lease.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:39 AM

2,310 posts, read 1,986,982 times
There is a specific sublet/temporary section on Craigslist, if you haven't checked that yet - syracuse sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist

Also, looks like Nob Hill does month-to-month leases. It's listed under their "furnished" section, but I'm willing to bet they may do it for unfurnished as well if you ask - http://www.nobhillsyracuse.com/furnished.htm

Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
These websites may help: [url=http://www.mapskrieg.com/view/syracuse/]MapsKrieg - Syracuse, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale[/url]

[url=http://www.therentersguide.com]Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide[/url]

[url=http://www.longley-jones.com/]Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartment Rentals, Commercial Management, Interim Management and More...[/url]

[url=http://www.suttoncos.com/]The Sutton Companies | Real Estate Management, Brokerage and Development[/url]

[url]http://tempoenterprisesllc.com/[/url]

Also, what is your rent range?
thanks for the links. will def check all of them out. my range would probably be max 800 but would really prefer to stay below 700 if at all possible. I am not going to pinch pennies if it means finding a better place. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area