Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,794 times

Advertisements

Hello Ladies and Gents

Firstly, I would just like to say, I've found this forum to be such a fantastic wealth of knowledge!! You're all amazing

I've come to point now where I need to try and get some answers to more specific questions.

I don't want to send you all to sleep from the off set, so I'll get to the point.

I need to know how much it would cost me to run a family home in Syracuse.

I know I've found rental homes that can vary. Starting from around $1600 to around $2900 () p/c/m. Until we get there we won't know much about the areas but we looked at those figures as a best and worst cast cost per month.

I'd really appreciate your help to try and estimate how much a 3550 Sq Ft house would take to run. The bills I'm thinking of here are the following:

Gas
Water
Electricity
Housing Tax(if any)
Phone
Cable
Insurance
Broadband
Phone (land line)

I've tried to think of most everyday regular monthly things here, please feel free to add to my list of you feel I've missed anything out.

Also, any advice on car finance say on a $25k car (prob a 4x4.....I'm thinking of snow here) at a say middle of the range interest rate and how much I may need to be paying for insuence. I know this but is a little vague, but I really don't know any more about it to give you any more information......sorry

Any help you can provide would be very very grately recvived. Its a big decision to make. We just need to make sure that the offer that the potential new employers have put on the table is one that we can actually enjoy as good a standard of life as we do here in the UK and that as a move so far away from home can sustain us without struggling each month to pay the bills.

So for now, over to you my lovelies and I hope you've all had a fabtastic day

Crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 11:32 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,031 times
While all communities in and around Syracuse have homes of that square footage, I would recommend narrowing you search to the Eastern Suburbs of Syracuse and Skaneateles based on the following reasons:

1.) These areas have a much larger concentration of larger-sized homes making it more probable that some would be available for rent

2.) While Syracuse may not have a large number of ex-pats per say, the vast majority of them tend to reside in the more affluent eastern suburbs and Skaneateles, which is a quaint lakeside village about 25 miles southwest of Syracuse.

3.) The hilly topography and historic architecture you may find attractive

4.) The eastern suburbs tend to get less snowfall than the northern suburbs

5.) Schools tend to have more transplants, including some families that have relocated from abroad (there are several European companies with major operations in the Syracuse area including Bitzer Scroll (Germany), Marquardt Switches (Germany), and Inficion (Liechtenstein) among several others. Welch Allyn which is based in Skaneateles has operations around the world and employs some ex-pats locally. Also, Syracuse University has a diverse faculty that hails from around the world.

6.) If you plan to utilize private schools, there are two neighborhoods in the city limits, namely Bradford Hills, on the city's far east side and Sedgwick, just north of downtown that have many homes fitting your criteria. Sedgwick has many older tudor style homes that will probably remind you of England. If you prefer newer construction, the suburbs will be the best option.

The suburban towns, hamlets, and zip codes I would recommend include:

Fayetteville (type in 13066 for zip code when searching real estate listings)
http://www.fayettevilleny.gov/PhotoGalleries.aspx

Manlius (13104)
Home Page - Town of Manlius, NY

Pompey (13104)
Town of Pompey, NY

Cazenovia (13035)
Village of Cazenovia
Town Of Cazenovia: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]

Jamesville (13078)

Skaneateles (13152)
Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Welcome to Skaneateles
Welcome to the Village of Skaneateles! | The Village of Skaneateles

Suburban School Districts:

Fayetteville-Manlius
Jamesville-DeWitt
Cazenovia
Skaneateles

City neighborhood zip codes:
Sedgwick Farms (13203 - keep in mind this includes a wider geographic area than just Sedgwick)
SEDGWICK FARM NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

Bradford Hills (13224)
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ba...ed=0CB8Q8gEwAA

For private (non parochial) schools, the best choice is Manlius-Pebble Hill in DeWitt/Jamesville area

Some of the other posters should be able to provide you with cost of living information. Welcome to Syracuse!

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 03-22-2012 at 11:43 AM..

Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
While all communities in and around Syracuse have homes of that square footage, I would recommend narrowing you search to the Eastern Suburbs of Syracuse and Skaneateles based on the following reasons:

1.) These areas have a much larger concentration of larger-sized homes making it more probable that some would be available for rent

2.) While Syracuse may not have a large number of ex-pats per say, the vast majority of them tend to reside in the more affluent eastern suburbs and Skaneateles, which is a quaint lakeside village about 25 miles southwest of Syracuse.

3.) The hilly topography and historic architecture you may find attractive

4.) The eastern suburbs tend to get less snowfall than the northern suburbs

5.) Schools tend to have more transplants, including some families that have relocated from abroad (there are several European companies with major operations in the Syracuse area including Bitzer Scroll (Germany), Marquardt Switches (Germany), and Inficion (Liechtenstein) among several others. Welch Allyn which is based in Skaneateles has operations around the world and employs some ex-pats locally. Also, Syracuse University has a diverse faculty that hails from around the world.

6.) If you plan to utilize private schools, there are two neighborhoods in the city limits, namely Bradford Hills, on the city's far east side and Sedgwick, just north of downtown that have many homes fitting your criteria. Sedgwick has many older tudor style homes that will probably remind you of England. If you prefer newer construction, the suburbs will be the best option.

The suburban towns, hamlets, and zip codes I would recommend include:

Fayetteville (type in 13066 for zip code when searching real estate listings)
[URL]http://www.fayettevilleny.gov/PhotoGalleries.aspx[/URL]

Manlius (13104)
[URL="http://www.townofmanlius.org/"]Home Page - Town of Manlius, NY[/URL]

Pompey (13104)
[URL="http://www.townofpompey.org/"]Town of Pompey, NY[/URL]

Cazenovia (13035)
[URL="http://www.villageofcazenovia.com/"]Village of Cazenovia[/URL]
[URL="http://townofcazenovia.org/content"]Town Of Cazenovia: Homepage: [Digital Towpath][/URL]

Jamesville (13078)

Skaneateles (13152)
[URL="http://www.skaneateles.com/"]Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Welcome to Skaneateles[/URL]
[URL="http://www.villageofskaneateles.com/"]Welcome to the Village of Skaneateles! | The Village of Skaneateles[/URL]

Suburban School Districts:

Fayetteville-Manlius
Jamesville-DeWitt
Cazenovia
Skaneateles

City neighborhood zip codes:
Sedgwick Farms (13203 - keep in mind this includes a wider geographic area than just Sedgwick)
[URL="http://www.sedgwickfarm.org/"]SEDGWICK FARM NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION[/URL]

Bradford Hills (13224)
[url=http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw= 1280&bih=822&wrapid=tlif133243814567410&q=112+shir ley+road,+syracuse,+ny&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89d9f34099ab7e19:0x53908c463a2941f4, 112+Shirley+Rd,+Syracuse,+NY+13224&gl=us&ei=hWRrT4 mfNca_0QGkz6XQBg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&r esnum=1&ved=0CB8Q8gEwAA]112 shirley road, syracuse, ny - Google Maps[/url]

For private (non parochial) schools, the best choice is Manlius-Pebble Hill in DeWitt/Jamesville area

Some of the other posters should be able to provide you with cost of living information. Welcome to Syracuse!
Hi Rolls Royce

Thank you so much for your reply, some great information to get my teeth into and make a start.

I'm gonna start looking at the school districts first I think and decide which ones may be an option, then find a home close by. I'm really looking forward on seeing what everyone else has to say about the utilities side of things.

Cheers

Crazy :*

Old 03-22-2012, 02:52 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Although this isn't specific to the size of house you're looking for, we did just start a thread on cost of living here - maybe this can help too!

Syracuse Area Cost of Living

Old 03-22-2012, 03:03 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Just to add to the great information given by Rolls, if you like urban neighborhoods, Scottholm, Berkeley Park and maybe the historic parts of the Strathmore neighborhood may work.

As for outside of Syracuse, maybe places like Marcellus or Onondaga Hill could work. While the school district isn't terrible, but may still want to go private, you may also like the Piercefield area of the village of Solvay due to having some nice big homes and very cheap electric bills due to Solvay Electric.

This can give you an idea as to where homes of that size are located: CNYHomes - Homes for Sale in Syracuse and Central New York - Your Search Results

Also, keep in mind that overall cost of living is much lower on average than Downstate NY State.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:59 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,039 times
Hello Crazy, Just a couple of points, first, you really don't need a 4x4, we do have a lot of snow but our roads are plowed quite well. I can't recall when a 4x4 has been needed to get around our area. Phone (land line), cable and broadband all together can be as low as $90 per month as Verizon and Time Warner have bundles which includes what you are looking for. Water and sewer are very inexpensive, for example, my last bill was $62 for three months. Of course your gas and electric bills will depend on your home size and how frugal you are, but my home is about 2000 sq ft and we pay $221 per month for gas and electricity. We are on a prorated budget plan. I would say our electricity usage is slightly higher than normal. If you rent your home "housing tax" will be included in your rent and paid by the landlord. Suggest you contact a US Insurance Company via the internet to get a cost for rental insurance. Hope this helps, good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area