U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:58 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,626,889 times

Advertisements

It has been beyond warm here lately.. more than I care for. I want SPRING to come first, then summer

If you do end up taking the job, PM me and I would be glad to have you hang out with my group. We've got alot of transplants so new people are always welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 12:05 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,656,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
It has been beyond warm here lately.. more than I care for. I want SPRING to come first, then summer

If you do end up taking the job, PM me and I would be glad to have you hang out with my group. We've got alot of transplants so new people are always welcome

The Love Boat Opening 1982 - YouTube

ha ha

Old 03-25-2012, 11:31 AM

29 posts, read 32,654 times
Good luck on your interview in the cuse. I just moved back here from the Orlando area last September. I do have kids so in a little different life stage then you, but I think you will enjoy this area. I like how laid back everyone is which is different then Florida, it really depends on your personal goals and lifestyle which you prefer.

While I did enjoy Florida, but realize that this environment is better for my kids, in my opinion which as you know everyone has one of those! Like you I did not care for the superficialness for lack of a better word in Florida. I think that there are more important things to do in life . Some people will never be happy no matter where they live, I think it is great you are exploring your options and getting a feel for the area. Post if you have any more questions.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:02 PM

1,668 posts, read 2,378,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
The 'Love Boat' sets sail ... for the scrap heap | '80s music, John Hughes movies, big hair: Stuck in the '80s | Tampa Bay Times

Like all of us, the Love Boat sets sail for the scrap heap!

Old 03-25-2012, 08:47 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,656,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Don't they still watch The Love Boat in Syracuse?

(just joking )

Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 AM

151 posts, read 281,955 times
Ill throw in a couple tidbits since I lived in Upstate (Buffalo) for 24 years.

--Very sports oriented.. Syracuse will focus a lot more on Basketball which is understandable because of the Orange.. Buffalo focused a lot on Football and Hockey. With that said, both areas will have an abundant amount of sports bars that will have individuals wearing their favorite sports gear.

--Outside parties... When Spring/Summer hits (primarily summer) all the people come out (winters in upstate are harsh and many people turn into hermits unless they are big into boarding).. Expect to see lots of bon fires, outside parties, bbq's, etc

--Some of the best lakes around.. Summers are beautiful with all the trees. Fall is also cool with all the colors. And then there is Niagara Falls.

--You are close to tons of other major cities. I was able to make 1 day drives to Chicago, Boston, NYC, DC, Philly, Pitts, Charlotte, etc.. Also, Canada is right there as well.

--For the most part, the people will be friendly. However, we all do get into our moods of "go go go, i dont have time for you". Its not the south and its not the west. Its not as "crazy" as NYC but you will notice road rage and your college drunks lashing out. With all that said though, I never really had any problems.. If you are any type of Buffalo Sports fan living anywhere in Upstate you will definitely fit in.

--Food... Something I enjoyed the most... Upstate beats everyone when it comes to finger food (maybe not healthy for you but it is great)... I crave the simple foods they had like chicken wings and chicken fingers.. As well as pizza.

With those simple things said Ill just give you my story. I moved to Colorado a year ago. I am extremely interested in moving back to Upstate (to Syracuse) by July. I miss all the water, the greenery, the people, the lifestyle, family, etc so I have all my reasons on why I want to go back.

It is a great place to live if you are content with simple natural beauty, sports, simple people, and history. There may not be as much to do compared to larger cities but I noticed with the smaller amount of things you began to meet a lot more of the same people which lead to friendships. If you are content with /snowboarding/basic winter festivals in the winter and then lakes/bbqs summer you should love it.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:11 AM

121 posts, read 239,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan87 View Post
Ill throw in a couple tidbits since I lived in Upstate (Buffalo) for 24 years.

--Very sports oriented.. Syracuse will focus a lot more on Basketball which is understandable because of the Orange.. Buffalo focused a lot on Football and Hockey. With that said, both areas will have an abundant amount of sports bars that will have individuals wearing their favorite sports gear.

--Outside parties... When Spring/Summer hits (primarily summer) all the people come out (winters in upstate are harsh and many people turn into hermits unless they are big into boarding).. Expect to see lots of bon fires, outside parties, bbq's, etc

--Some of the best lakes around.. Summers are beautiful with all the trees. Fall is also cool with all the colors. And then there is Niagara Falls.

--You are close to tons of other major cities. I was able to make 1 day drives to Chicago, Boston, NYC, DC, Philly, Pitts, Charlotte, etc.. Also, Canada is right there as well.

--For the most part, the people will be friendly. However, we all do get into our moods of "go go go, i dont have time for you". Its not the south and its not the west. Its not as "crazy" as NYC but you will notice road rage and your college drunks lashing out. With all that said though, I never really had any problems.. If you are any type of Buffalo Sports fan living anywhere in Upstate you will definitely fit in.

--Food... Something I enjoyed the most... Upstate beats everyone when it comes to finger food (maybe not healthy for you but it is great)... I crave the simple foods they had like chicken wings and chicken fingers.. As well as pizza.

With those simple things said Ill just give you my story. I moved to Colorado a year ago. I am extremely interested in moving back to Upstate (to Syracuse) by July. I miss all the water, the greenery, the people, the lifestyle, family, etc so I have all my reasons on why I want to go back.

It is a great place to live if you are content with simple natural beauty, sports, simple people, and history. There may not be as much to do compared to larger cities but I noticed with the smaller amount of things you began to meet a lot more of the same people which lead to friendships. If you are content with /snowboarding/basic winter festivals in the winter and then lakes/bbqs summer you should love it.

where in colorado did you move to? thot it was beautiful there too with the rockies, garden of gods etc and the winters i have heard are much better than in syracuse?

Old 09-13-2013, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,458 times
OK Original Poster, let me give you the scoop. I grew up here. I've lived in other cities. By far and away coming to Syracuse is a gamble. However, being under the age of 30, you have a better chance. If you above the age of say 38 and again single, there are things to do, but the only dating I do is via internet. The cost of living is great here. I grew up in a 'nice' part of town (the quietest suburb). As another person said, the Meetup groups are one of your best hopes to making new friends. Can't rely on co-workers unless you're a flirty female or drop dead gorgeous guy. are you? Then everybody likes that. Also, as a single person that has had enough clubbing stay away from Armory Square. There is a bar on the West Side of town that is a cool laid back place. If you know people, by the way, any place is good. You may hate the cold weather, but then again, if you ski, we have a couple of places within 25 miles. Otherwise the Adirondacks are beautiful but still 2 hours away,maybe 1 and 1/2 to Old Forge. I appreciate the prior comment that this is not the south or the west. That said, we all pull together as a community and we are centrally located from Ottawa, Rochester, Albany, New York and Boston. We are simple folks here who are obsessed with Syracuse basketball. It is one of the best places to raise a family. If you want a balanced opinion of the area, make sure you don't just talk to the Chamber of Commerce. The key to being happy? Find a city, climate, and a job that suits you. Everything after that is gravy. Best of luck.

Last edited by Seethingsastheyare; 09-13-2013 at 11:32 AM..

Old 10-06-2013, 09:29 PM

10,540 posts, read 10,765,340 times
Having spent a fair amount of time in both Orlando and the cuse, I will say I prefer Orlando for a young professional. Eola/Thornton park/winter park>>> downtown cuse. More bars, nightlife, restaurants. Heck even Dr Phillips >>> Dewitt/manlius if you are young prof looking for suburban living. And don't get me started on the airport. The one saving grace might be destiny the mall which has been growing by leaps and bounds

Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 AM

56,165 posts, read 80,251,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Having spent a fair amount of time in both Orlando and the cuse, I will say I prefer Orlando for a young professional. Eola/Thornton park/winter park>>> downtown cuse. More bars, nightlife, restaurants. Heck even Dr Phillips >>> Dewitt/manlius if you are young prof looking for suburban living. And don't get me started on the airport. The one saving grace might be destiny the mall which has been growing by leaps and bounds
Some may like Westcott, Tipp Hill or Franklin Square within Syracuse, among maybe a couple of other areas. Suburban villages like Liverpool, Fayetteville and Manlius. Perhaps even villages like Skaneateles or Cazenovia could even appeal to younger professionals due to walkability and having enough to do, while still being close enough to Syracuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or