Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 AM

93,175 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treesseemdeader View Post
And you guys don't think it is any sketchier than actually being in Franklin Square? My wife is from Finland and she is a bit more timid than most people when it comes to safety. Is the walk safe from Nettleton/Lofts on Willow to Franklin?

Also - One Franklin Sq starts at $850. I haven't heard any feedback on that place, does anyone live or know someone that lives there? Again thank you, can't say that enough.
It will depend on her comfort zone. If she were to walk from Nettleton Commons to Franklin Square, she would probably take Willow Street to Franklin Street. Take a right under the overpass and veer left into Franklin Square. That walk should be fine, especially during the day.

Also, I wouldn't call Franklin Square sketchy, but it does have remnants of its industrial past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
Quote:
Hi all -

My wife and I are moving from Rochester to Syracuse for my new job and we have done a lot of research online and on these forums. We're both 26. I have a specific question about One Franklin Avenue Apartments. Has anyone had experience with these apartments?

One Franklin Square Apartments for Rent | Syracuse NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

Also, we would love to live in a loft, but the Armory Square ones look like they don't have included parking or ample grass for my dog (small 20 lbs) to do his business.

We were also thinking of the Lofts at Franklin Square, but I don't think they allow dogs. Has anyone had any experience having them bend that rule?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
I suppose it is up to personal taste, but I personally like One Franklin Square which (to me) has a a warm intimate feel. It is pet friendly with restrictions (small dogs). I have not visited The Lofts at Franklin Square, but (based on the pics) they seem like "true" lofts with lots of space, high ceilings, etc. (only allow cats). I like the architecture though.

From a location standpoint, both are amazing. The walking distance to the Carousel Center, Inner Harbor Amphiteater and Dinosaur Bar-B-Que would be worth the money for me. Also, you are within a mile to Clinton Square, Hanover Square and Armory Square. Plus, the recently completed Creekwalk is a block away that can take you to either Armory Square or the Carousel Center (soon to be Destiny USA)..great for walking the dog!! Also, keep in mind, there are plans for a $350M redevelopment of the Inner-harbor that will include residential, retail, hotel and a satellite campus for Onondaga Community College. You may have moved on to kids and a new home by the time full construction begins, but it is good to know.

You probably have the following information

Lofts at Franklin Square:

The Sutton Companies | The Lofts at Franklin Square

1 BR, 1 Bath - starting at $885.00
2 BR, 1 Bath - starting at $1,190.00
1 BR, 1 Bath - and Study starting at $1,190.00
2 BR, 2 Bath - starting at $1,230.00

One Franklin Square Apartments:

One Franklin Square Apartments for Rent | Syracuse NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

1 BR, 1 Bath - starting at $850,00
2 BR, 1 Bath - starting at $1,200.00

Some of the other suggestions like Nettleton and the Lofts on Willow are great! I think they are in very busy locations. Considering your needs though, I think Franklin Square has a quiet urban charm with amenities perfect for a you and your dog.

I hope some of this helps!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 04-03-2012 at 02:52 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 02:41 PM

11 posts, read 37,833 times
Thanks for that info! I will have to walk that path from Nettleton to Franklin while we are there Saturday. Also, I appreciate your feedback urban planner. I am hoping to see the one Franklin on Saturday, but I have called 3 times today and have not gotten a hold of a human being. I am hoping there is availability in One Franklin. The Lofts at Franklin look nice, but I think they only allow cats.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:29 PM

Lofts on Willow are along that stretch of Willow between Nettleton Commons and Franklin Square. So, that may be an option as well.

Correction on the route, you can down Willow to North Salina. Then, take a right onto North Salina. You would take a left onto Herald Place, which ends at Franklin. There you take a right and then veer to the left into Franklin Square.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-03-2012 at 03:45 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 03:52 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
Quote:
Thanks for that info! I will have to walk that path from Nettleton to Franklin while we are there Saturday. Also, I appreciate your feedback urban planner. I am hoping to see the one Franklin on Saturday, but I have called 3 times today and have not gotten a hold of a human being. I am hoping there is availability in One Franklin. The Lofts at Franklin look nice, but I think they only allow cats.
No problem..I hope it helps! The Lofts at Franklin Square only allow cats, One Franklin Square does allow pets with restrictions, small dogs, cats, etc. You raise a good point though, there may not be vacancies. The occupancy rate in Syracuse's urban center (including Franklin Square) according to the Downtown Committee is 99%. See link:

Home Sweet Home is increasingly in downtown Syracuse «

To stress the point, the buildings in the article's photo are part of the Pike Block project (see link below) which comprises four adjacent downtown Syracuse buildings; the Chamberlin Building, Witherill Building, Wilson Building and Bond Building. The development will connect S. Salina Street with Armory Square. The project entails the creation of 78 one, two and three bedroom apartments and retail space. It is under construction and located at the corner of S. Salina Street and W. Fayette Streets. It is down the street from the recently expanded and renovated Landmark Theatre. A new "combined" Marriott hotel called the "Inn's at Armory Square" is under construction a block west near the the Creekwalk, it will include a Courtyard Suite and Residence Inn. As a result new retailers are moving into downtown, i.e. Urban Outfitters, Villa, etc. to take advantage of the growth.

Pike Block

I know this is more information than you need to know, but it is to stress the point that Downtown Syracuse is hot right now and they can't convert buildings into residential fast enough. So if there are no vacancies, keep your options open. I think you are really going to like downtown no matter where you find a place, keep us posted!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 04-03-2012 at 04:12 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 04:29 PM

Thank you CTH and Urban. We will be sure to check out that route from Willow to Franklin. I think I did see that 99% occupancy and I can tell you it is for a good reason. Rochester is trying to do some similar loft apartments, but it hasn't really taken off because, in my opinion, Rochester just doesn't have the kind of downtown feel that lends itself to loft style living. That's why my wife and I were so excited to see all of these great developments in Syracuse and we are really hopeful we can find something cool in our limited budget range. If we didn't have our mortgage in Rochester still, it would definitely be easier to push that range up.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:55 PM

580 posts, read 1,173,116 times
Quote:
And you guys don't think it is any sketchier than actually being in Franklin Square? My wife is from Finland and she is a bit more timid than most people when it comes to safety. Is the walk safe from Nettleton/Lofts on Willow to Franklin?

Also - One Franklin Sq starts at $850. I haven't heard any feedback on that place, does anyone live or know someone that lives there? Again thank you, can't say that enough.
Definitely safe; Nettleton is about a block from an absolute blight of a gas station, but it's a safe neighborhood. Lofts on Willow is better still - two blocks from Franklin Square and wholly crime-free. It involves walking under a freeway viaduct, but it's quick and safe.

Not sure about One Franklin Square; perhaps someone else can correct me, but I think it was primarily senior housing until recently. It's something of a new-build, not more than twenty years old, so it might not have some of the architectural features of its neighbors.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 PM

With all of the suggestions for Nettleton and Lofts on Willow, it has definitely rose to the top of the list. I did some research but couldn't find if either allowed dogs. Does anyone know off hand? Also, regarding the Lakefront Lofts above Spaghetti Warehouse, do you think there would be a smell/noise from the restaurant? And are there grassy areas nearby? Thank you thank you!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:00 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
I believe Lofts on Willow allows dogs, but you should be able to call and ask

Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
With all of the suggestions for Nettleton and Lofts on Willow, it has definitely rose to the top of the list. I did some research but couldn't find if either allowed dogs. Does anyone know off hand? Also, regarding the Lakefront Lofts above Spaghetti Warehouse, do you think there would be a smell/noise from the restaurant? And are there grassy areas nearby? Thank you thank you!
I believe you can ask about pets in regards to Nettleton Commons too.

As for Lakefront Lofts, I believe that there is green space. It is in the Franklin Square area, which has a small park. Lakefront Lofts

Spaghetti Warehouse, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area