U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,961,934 times

Advertisements

Also- if you lose your job or the new one is x miles (50, maybe?) from your current apartment. You have to point it out though... you don't want to have to get to court and then be clueless. Everyone will ignore exceptions on the books unless you point them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,632,741 times
Showings went very well this weekend - pending credit approval, I should have someone this week!

Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 AM

Just wanted to update everyone - got the keys to my new place last weekend and have been moving in all week. New tenant takes my old apt on the 12th. I hope the new tenant has better luck with my LLs than I did. My new LL is super awesome, so glad I am moving.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 4,365 times
Have a friend that signed lease in NY,..lease is being mailed to new LL in NC. this was on the May1, she paid 800.00 rent and 800.00 deposit. She hasn't moved in yet, and now has changed her mind. She paid in cash 1600.00 and wrote a receipt for the money, and had it signed. what rights does she have getting her money back. It's been 3 days now.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,365 times
forgot she was told she could move in on May 1 2012. she went there, gave the LL mother who lives here and who was showing the rental. Cash, got receipt signed. House wasn't ready on first move in date of May 1, 2012. But she isn't taking possession of the property. She no longer wants it. does she have any chance in getting her money back seeing how she didn't move in or get the key yet.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:21 AM

My nightmare continues with these people.

There are 2 things the LLs are supposed to fix and deduct from my deposits - replacing a closet door and replacing carpet in one of the rooms. There are several other things they are supposed to fix that I am not liable for at all.

After sending the LLs a letter CRR requesting my deposits back (minus the charges for the repairs IN WRITING) and talking to them multiple times - they claim they have been over to the apt several times and are working on it. I went over to the apartment last night to help the new tenant with another issue (bee infestation, that's a fun one) and after talking with her, I discovered that not only had the LLs NEVER been over there to work on any of the problems, they have failed to even call her to work out the details of the repairs.

NY State LL/Tenant code states that security deposits must be returned at the end of the lease or within a reasonable time thereafter. My lease specifically states that the deposits will be returned at the termination of the lease. My lease officially terminates as of June 1, 2012. Do I have grounds to sue them in small claims court as of June 1? I am worried that they are going to continue to keep my deposits and lie that they are doing the work when they really aren't. These landlords are unfortunately the slumlords of the area (I didn't know that going into the lease). I have been attempting to get the repairs made as of May 9th and sent the CRR May 12th (they received it May 14th).

I would have to file in the Town of Salina, which only accepts small claims files the first 6 business days of the month. So basically, if I don't file the first week in June, I can't file again until the first week in July.

Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area