Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:30 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Any place that has woods and is somewhat off the beaten path - generally meaning a lower crime area that is far removed from where the crime actually occurred is an attractive place to dump a body. This happens quite often in middle class to affluent areas several miles outside urban centers. At least a half-dozen times a year police in Westchester County discover bodies dumped along parkways in mostly affluent towns. In 99% of the cases, the victims were murdered in the Bronx, Yonkers, and other crime ridden areas.
god I miss NYC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 PM

Toejam - constructive criticism is fine, but your veiled contempt is apparent and not welcome.

It has nothing to do with crime, but here is some good news about Syacuse and CNY!

Central New York's economy appears to be on the upswing | syracuse.com

The Siena Research Institute at Siena College found confidence surging among New Yorkers, some of whom are optimistic for the first time in years. The survey found economic confidence grew by 16 percent in Central New York. The region’s consumers are still pessimistic overall, but just barely. Allen Naples, Central New York regional president of M&T Bank, said his bank was seeing increased demand for loans from small business as well as from larger businesses. “I think the economy is moving in the right direction,” he said. Among the projects Naples could point to is the Inns at Armory Square. Richard H. Sykes Jr., vice president of RHS Holdings, of Syracuse, which is leading the $30 million project, said the timing was right for the work, which is creating 180 hotel rooms at West Fayette and South Franklin streets.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...on_with_m.html

BNY started with a few dozen people 10 years ago, the Onondaga County operation has grown to more than 700 people. There are 435 workers in DeWitt and 345 in Dey’s Plaza in downtown Syracuse. Francis "Frank" Behlmer, executive for Central New York, at Bank of New York Mellon's offices in DeWitt expects more growth for the bank and for its operations in Upstate New York. As the economy improves, Behlmer said, the volume of financial business will grow. That growth will require more technology and more people, he said. In fact, he said, developing the technology could require adding to the more than 100 people who currently work at Dey’s Plaza office developing software. Looking to the future, Behlmer said Upstate New York is well positioned to land BNY Mellon jobs. The available work force, along with inexpensive real estate and its relative “safe” location — away from natural disasters and terror attacks — make it an attractive place to continue to grow the bank’s operation, he said. “I feel very confident,” he said, “there’s good opportunity to grow in this region.”

Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
I still don't see how that incident has an effect on the OP if he/she decided to live there. They already crossed it off of the list anyway, if you actually paid attention to their desires in the first place. It was due to the road it is on road. Why we have to remind people that there is crime in a metro area seems odd considering that such incidents occur in all metros, is beyond me.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:20 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Toejam - constructive criticism is fine, but your veiled contempt is apparent and not welcome.
I guess you have spoken and therefor I should just shut my mouth. By the way, when was the last time you lived in Syracuse, Urbanplanner?

The information I posted was fact based and while others may try to sweep these things under the rug, the poster was looking for housing suggestions and CK-Whatever pointed them in a certain direction which I found to be laughable. The neighborhood is not bad, but given the short time frame from when the body was found, it was a strange suggestion. It may not bother some, but others might not care for it. I just threw it out there that this situation had taken place. I don't see the harm in giving people all of the facts. Again I will state that I do not think Syracuse is a dangerous place to live. Boring, yes, but not dangerous.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I still don't see how that incident has an effect on the OP if he/she decided to live there. They already crossed it off of the list anyway, if you actually paid attention to their desires in the first place. It was due to the road it is on road. Why we have to remind people that there is crime in a metro area seems odd considering that such incidents occur in all metros, is beyond me.
Funny coming from the person who told the poster how great the school district is after the OP mentioned schools didn't matter since the kids would be in private school. Take your own advice.
Quote:
This may work: Dewitt Real Estate - 6710 Kinne Rd, Dewitt, NY, 13214

It is in a very good school district too.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Funny coming from the person who told the poster how great the school district is after the OP mentioned schools didn't matter since the kids would be in private school. Take your own advice.
How dare I suggest that the home is in a great district and in turn could save them some money. My point was to help the OP out by saying that, not to be selfish or negative like some folks.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:43 PM

I was helping them by giving them all the facts after you steered them in that direction. It effects me in no way, so I don't see how that is being selfish. I am sorry if you view the facts as negative, but I can't control that.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I guess you have spoken and therefor I should just shut my mouth. By the way, when was the last time you lived in Syracuse, Urbanplanner?

The information I posted was fact based and while others may try to sweep these things under the rug, the poster was looking for housing suggestions and CK-Whatever pointed them in a certain direction which I found to be laughable. The neighborhood is not bad, but given the short time frame from when the body was found, it was a strange suggestion. It may not bother some, but others might not care for it. I just threw it out there that this situation had taken place. I don't see the harm in giving people all of the facts. Again I will state that I do not think Syracuse is a dangerous place to live. Boring, yes, but not dangerous.
I am of the opinion that anyone can be critical as long as it is constructive. Even your so-called "helpful posts" are veiled in criticism. For example, you recently posted to a couple (in their 20's) relocating to Syracuse from Southern California who wanted information on the local area, here is what you said.

"As someone who moved to Syracuse from Southern California, my condolences. Don't worry about traffic and living away from campus. That is one thing Syracuse has going for it."

If southern California is where you want to be then don't let the door hit you on the a%$ on the way out, but don't slam the area and/or insult the locals with your blatant and veiled negativity.

As for me living in florida, I do not have to answer to a transplant. However, in the interest of transparency, I have not lived in CNY since 1990 when I graduated with my masters. I lived in Syracuse during the summer while in college. I was fortunate to have landed a job in NYC right out of graduate school, I was not going to be foolish enough to decline. It had been my intention to return to Syracuse/CNY, but there was nothing on the magnitude of change in Syacuse taking place like there is today. At the time, Syracuse was languishing with plant closings and prospects were bleak. Unlike many northeastern or midwestern cities, Syracuse has done a pheonominal job of transitioning itself to a green economy based on meds, eds, and tech.

No, Syracuse is NOT Los Angeles or other cities in the southwest, but it is taking charge of its future and building confidence in itself. Granted, it has a ways to go, but it is moving in the right direction. I will continue to be an advocate of CNY until I depart this world. If I am fortunate to land a challenging opportunity in CNY, I would seriously consider it.

I have a question, how long have you lived in Syracuse? I welcome new residents and people migrating to CNY, but don't slam the adopted community you have choose to live in. Comments like "my condolences" to those interested in moving to CNY are uncalled for. I could think of a lot of negative things to say about central or south Florida, but I try to approach it with constructive suggestions and ideas. Its funny, many of those ideas are coming from places like Syracuse and CNY..not Los Angeles or Florida!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 04-17-2012 at 01:14 PM..

Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I was helping them by giving them all the facts after you steered them in that direction. It effects me in no way, so I don't see how that is being selfish. I am sorry if you view the facts as negative, but I can't control that.
No one "steered" anyone. Second, the post was false, as there wasn't anything that indicated that it happened on that property. Third, the incident doesn't have any effect in terms of living there. Fourth, they didn't like the road that the property is on. So, there were no facts to be upset about and this isn't your first time.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
So, there were no facts to be upset about and this isn't your first time.
This isn't my first time doing what?

Quote:
Third, the incident doesn't have any effect in terms of living there.
The incident may not effect the house, but there is a reason some state require a disclosure about having people die in the house. For most, it doesn't matter, but it to some it does which is why I posted the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area