U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Florida
1,557 posts, read 1,280,020 times
Reputation: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I have no desire to return to LA.

22 years ago. I rest my case. Other than your news articles, you have no idea what it is like living here. I assume the area has changed quite a bit since you lived here.
I am going to ignore the rest of your garbage, except for the one above. How dare you tell me I have no idea what it is like to live in my own HOME TOWN? Who the hell do you think you are? I have family (mother and father), friends and relatives living there and I visit frequently. I do not "announce" my arrival on this forum everytime I visit. I live in florida for job related reasons. There are many on this forum who do not live in the Syracuse area, but are passionate about Syracuse and wish it well. Some may criticize, but it is constructive and speak from authority because they are from the area.

I admit my posts tend to be optimistic, I do it for two reasons: 1) because there are a number good things happening in the area that are getting national recognition and, 2) to counter negative people like yourself who find every excuse to demean the area. Syracuse does not need people like you at this stage of her redevelopment and renaissance.

I have noticed a number of people who have posted on this forum who are relocating or considering a move to the area, but you find it "sport" to disuade them with your veiled or blatant insults and ridicule. If you have no desire returning to LA, then don't insult, demean, and criticize the Syracuse area!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 04-18-2012 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 AM
 
Location: 213, 310, 562, 909, 951, 952, 315, ???
1,384 posts, read 998,746 times
Reputation: 1587
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I admit my posts tend to be optimistic, I do it for two reasons: 1) because there are a number good things happening in the area that are getting national recognition and, 2) to counter negative people like yourself who find every excuse to demean the area. Syracuse does not need people like you at this stage of her redevelopment and renaissance.
3) because you remember how great it was back in the day, so all of these changes must make it better.
I don't deny Syracuse has made major changes just in the 5 years I have been here and most of them have been for the good, but that is because I see them first hand because I live here. You can argue with me all you want, but you will have to use the local news to validate yourself. You USED to know what it was life to live here. 22 years is a long time and Syracuse may be slow to change, but plenty has changed in that time. I think we all have fond childhood memories of where we grew up, but it is time to either move on or move back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Florida
1,557 posts, read 1,280,020 times
Reputation: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
3) because you remember how great it was back in the day, so all of these changes must make it better.
I don't deny Syracuse has made major changes just in the 5 years I have been here and most of them have been for the good, but that is because I see them first hand because I live here. You can argue with me all you want, but you will have to use the local news to validate yourself. You USED to know what it was life to live here. 22 years is a long time and Syracuse may be slow to change, but plenty has changed in that time. I think we all have fond childhood memories of where we grew up, but it is time to either move on or move back.
I agree, there is no need to argue!

I am just as committed to my adoped community as I am Syracuse. I am involved in my neighborhood association, local planning board, recreation, etc. My passion for Syracuse lies in the fact that it is changing and it is exciting to see, which was not the case many years ago. I am an urban planner and enjoy watching my HOME community get the recognition that it never recieved in the past (other than SU sports).

Also, I said I have family, friends and relatives in the area whom I visit often. Its not like I have not been there in 22 years. I believe that you want like minded individuals who share your contempt for the area. If you have no desire to move back to Los Angeles, why do you feel the need to insult Syracuse and CNY? You say you love your job, then why not build from there and get involved. Change things that you feel are wrong? Or, move to a community that you will enjoy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 11:00 AM
 
Location: 213, 310, 562, 909, 951, 952, 315, ???
1,384 posts, read 998,746 times
Reputation: 1587
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
If you have no desire to move back to Los Angeles, why do you feel the need to insult Syracuse and CNY?
I post in the Syracuse forum because that is where I live. I don't post much in the California forums because all of my information about those areas are from memory or from the news. There is no first hand point of view I can offer no matter how many times a year I go back to visit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
You say you love your job, then why not build from there and get involved.
Who is to say I am not involved in the area and working towards improving it? I am doing what I can while I am here, but this area does not fit my lifestyle. It isn't the fault of Syracuse that it doesn't work for me, but I will state my opinion and show people a different point of view even if it is viewed as negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 12:39 PM
 
1,392 posts, read 692,532 times
Reputation: 1163
Crime. Ha. Had to go to a job in Camden today. In this general neighborhood:

837 North 8th Street, Camden, NJ - Google Maps

Is there anyplace in Syracuse that looks like this neighborhood?

BTW, ToeJam, I understand what you mean by saying that a certain place doesn't fit your lifestyle. I spent a week in Myrtle Beach once and that's exactly how I felt. No access to mountains, skiing, and I grew very tired of the flat, sandy landscape. The endless billboards, tourist traps, and the relentless heat and humidity suffocated me. I felt like there was no where to escape to. Yet, when I left, a couple that I was with were making plans to relocate there. I would have been absolutely miserable if I had to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Salt Springs (Syracuse, NY)
914 posts, read 978,072 times
Reputation: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Crime. Ha. Had to go to a job in Camden today. In this general neighborhood:

837 North 8th Street, Camden, NJ - Google Maps

Is there anyplace in Syracuse that looks like this neighborhood?
There are parts of the SW quadrant of Syracuse that are headed in that direction, but I don't think any of them are quite to that stage.

315 Merriman Avenue, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps

Generally isolated and generally more poor than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 21 days ago)
 
30,309 posts, read 35,014,466 times
Reputation: 6036
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I post in the Syracuse forum because that is where I live. I don't post much in the California forums because all of my information about those areas are from memory or from the news. There is no first hand point of view I can offer no matter how many times a year I go back to visit.
Who is to say I am not involved in the area and working towards improving it? I am doing what I can while I am here, but this area does not fit my lifestyle. It isn't the fault of Syracuse that it doesn't work for me, but I will state my opinion and show people a different point of view even if it is viewed as negative.
So, what are you looking for? I think that seriously needs to be addressed and this website is perfect for helping you find that place.

Vintage, while there are areas of Syracuse that have seen better days, I wouldn't say that there is anything like that here.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-18-2012 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 PM
 
1,501 posts, read 1,820,841 times
Reputation: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
There are parts of the SW quadrant of Syracuse that are headed in that direction, but I don't think any of them are quite to that stage.

315 Merriman Avenue, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps

Generally isolated and generally more poor than anything else.

As bad as Merriman Ave is, I would rather drive through that neighborhood than the one in Camden any day. A block down from 315, it looks like they built newer homes on vacant lots. If you look at just a couple of houses at time, it doesn't even look that bad. The high concentration of tree cover at least makes the area look better than the barren landscapes in Camden.
Massena Street and Merriman Avenue syracuse, ny - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 02:30 PM
 
1,392 posts, read 692,532 times
Reputation: 1163
Wow- that's the worst you got? Looks like paradise compared to where I was today. So sad. And dangerous too- some of the streets are so tight, if someone pulls behind you and in front of you, you have no place to go. You can feel the danger when this happens- its so in your face. Hard to describe but you can see it here. At least the streets are wide and homes are spread out in that section of Syracuse that you showed me. Here, you are literally trapped:

http://g.co/maps/2qwz6


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Salt Springs (Syracuse, NY)
914 posts, read 978,072 times
Reputation: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Wow- that's the worst you got? Looks like paradise compared to where I was today. So sad. And dangerous too- some of the streets are so tight, if someone pulls behind you and in front of you, you have no place to go. You can feel the danger when this happens- its so in your face. Hard to describe but you can see it here. At least the streets are wide and homes are spread out in that section of Syracuse that you showed me. Here, you are literally trapped:

751 Grant Street, Camden, NJ - Google Maps


I wasn't putting it up there as an equal, just that that's about as bad as it gets around here. Syracuse is nowhere near a Camden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:56 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top