Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 12:16 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geclarke View Post
You're right. I should be more positive.

Do you think Congel's people will maintain Carousel/Destiny State Penitentiary properly over the next 20 years? Again, the past doesn't give much reason for hope, but I'm hopeful anyway.
Seeing how CRAPPY Crossgates looks 20+ years later, I'd say Carousel will also look crappy in 20 years. Colonie Center which is a much higher end mall than Crossgates has always been better maintained. A few years ago, Colonie Center was completely redone inside and out. They brought in a massive movie theatre, The Cheesecake Factory, PF Chang and other shops. They added play areas for small children, beautiful wooden benches, a lovely fireplace, and gorgeous flooring. The decor was dramatically improved and doesn't look like a mall.

Local speculation was that this would lead Pyramid to FINALLY jazz up Crossgates. That didn't happen. I was at Crossgates last week and a lot of the flooring has been ripped up. But no one has seen any plans on what's coming. Maybe they're finally replacing the cheap, broken tiles.

So I wouldn't hold out much hope. Maybe in 20 years, Congel will retire and someone with half a brain will take over for him. One can hope!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 12:21 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
Depends on the mother...some kids could be anywhere from ages 10 and up and I'm sure there's a lot parents who will leave their kids somewhere like a bowling alley if they fall under that age group.
All of Pyramid's properties have rules about children being unsupervised. You can't just kids wander about the mall or stores because you don't feel like watching your kids. Not to mention how unsafe that is. There are far too many crazies in the world for me to ever leave my kid to be supervised by some random stranger working in the mall.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:38 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
In Idaho I'd try to make a go on 35K.

In NY 35K is not something I would ever even think about trying. With the taxes thats like 3 grand a year left.
I found these articles about yogurt in New York State, thought you might be interested:

With Greek yogurt, can New York create a culture of success? | syracuse.com

"New York produces about 70 percent of the nation’s $6 billion Greek yogurt market, with two manufacturing plants in operation and two more planned. State and local governments have invested about $50 million into the four Upstate plants. Employment now is about 1,500 people, and that’s expected to increase by 800 when the other two plants go on line."

"Led by the explosive growth of Chobani in Chenango County, New York has quickly became the biggest producer of trendy Greek yogurt. According to one analyst, Chobani accounts for 47 percent of the nation’s Greek yogurt market, and Fage USA in Fulton County about 14 percent."

"Yogurt has provided plenty of spinoff jobs. Feldmeier Equipment in DeWitt, for example, has made more than 100 tanks for the companies that make Greek yogurt and employs 390 people – the most in the company’s 60-year history."

Silver: NY Can Be Yogurt Capital of the World | NBC New York
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...sey=nav%7Chead

There seems to be huge support for the dairy and yogurt industry by NYS leaders. I am sure the issues mentioned, i.e. shale gas drilling industry and regulations (i.e. limiting the number of cows to 200 per farm) can be worked out to meet that 15% increase on production. I would rather have a dairy farm or yogurt plant next to my property than shale gas drilling!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 08-15-2012 at 12:52 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
There are actually Greek Yogurt plants closer to Syracuse then those you just don't here about them as they co-pack and don't get state money. The jobs are real though.

I found out the new plant in Idaho isn't in the really pretty part of the state so I'm no longer interested for myself. Its Twin Falls and for some reason I had Post Falls stuck in my head.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Destiny USA developer fighting city's attempt to put mall's auxiliary parking on tax rolls | syracuse.com

Old 09-11-2012, 05:56 AM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Seeing how CRAPPY Crossgates looks 20+ years later, I'd say Carousel will also look crappy in 20 years. Colonie Center which is a much higher end mall than Crossgates has always been better maintained. A few years ago, Colonie Center was completely redone inside and out. They brought in a massive movie theatre, The Cheesecake Factory, PF Chang and other shops. They added play areas for small children, beautiful wooden benches, a lovely fireplace, and gorgeous flooring. The decor was dramatically improved and doesn't look like a mall.

Local speculation was that this would lead Pyramid to FINALLY jazz up Crossgates. That didn't happen. I was at Crossgates last week and a lot of the flooring has been ripped up. But no one has seen any plans on what's coming. Maybe they're finally replacing the cheap, broken tiles.

So I wouldn't hold out much hope. Maybe in 20 years, Congel will retire and someone with half a brain will take over for him. One can hope!
Wow that's sad to hear, when I lived up in the Albany area in the late 1980s I was at Crossgates all the time and thought it was a really really nice mall!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:14 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
Destiny USA, Syracuse development agency headed to court -- again | syracuse.com

back in court, here we go again! Small potato's compared to the BIG battle's of yesteryear, but another "lawyer work program" none the less.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:07 AM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I'm surprised that this wasn't slated for Destiny USA: Lucky Strike | Bowl Lucky Strike

I wonder if it could fit in with the Inner Harbor project, as I think it could work here given the future development that is in the works.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:38 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm surprised that this wasn't slated for Destiny USA: Lucky Strike | Bowl Lucky Strike

I wonder if it could fit in with the Inner Harbor project, as I think it could work here given the future development that is in the works.
Don't they have a different one coming in... Revolution? something along those lines?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:58 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Don't they have a different one coming in... Revolution? something along those lines?
Yep, it's Revolutions Entertainment - http://www.revolutionsentertainment.com/About.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area