Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 01:45 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,986,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Seriously dude, was that necessary? I regret if you were offended by my post, but I assure you it was general in nature.

Your original point was that Carousel Center did not live up to expections thanks to "Congel and Pyramid Co.", which I agreed. We all know it did NOT, as did the expansion. Secondly, I did NOT suggest, imply or accuse you of being anti-mall and agreed that a mall should compliment its surroundings. I simply noted that Carousel was conceived when there was a scrap yard and oil tanks surrounding it. Thirdly, I have a right to elaborate beyond the point of your post by pointing out that we have come a long way since CC and the expansion with other note worthy projects.

However, if you want to talk about a project that has NOT lived up to expectations complete with over-promised statements, why don't we talk about SUNY-ESF great vision of a Center of Excellence for Environmental and Energy Systems. Has Syracuse become the hub of environmental technology? I think not! The only thing I see is a nicely designed hulk of a building at the corner of I-81 and I-690. From what I read, most investment related to environmental technology has gone to Rochester. Shall we discuss SUNY Upstate's Biotech Accelerator and Loguen Crossing?
Cheap shot at best (and not only unrelated to the thread, incorrect - since Syracuse University is the lead on the COE, not ESF).

You're the one who quoted my post to start your rant. If you don't understand the implications of doing so, I really can't help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,847,868 times
More international tourists coming to Destiny USA in Syracuse : Travel : Directory : CNYcentral.com

Just sayin!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:16 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,574 times

I look at Canadian tourism as the gift that keeps on giving. Criticism of Congel aside, they have really helped the area. Hopefully this trend will continue. Fluctuations in currency and any potential change to the 48 hour limit for duty free purchases could have a major impact in the future.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I look at Canadian tourism as the gift that keeps on giving. Criticism of Congel aside, they have really helped the area. Hopefully this trend will continue. Fluctuations in currency and any potential change to the 48 hour limit for duty free purchases could have a major impact in the future.
Yea, they sure are and not just to Destiny. Friends and family notice a lot of them shopping up on 31 year round, Christmas being the busiest of course. Btw, what does a 48 hour limit for duty free purchases mean? thanks

Old 07-03-2013, 12:38 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,574 times
Quote:
Yea, they sure are and not just to Destiny. Friends and family notice a lot of them shopping up on 31 year round, Christmas being the busiest of course. Btw, what does a 48 hour limit for duty free purchases mean? thanks
The longer a person is gone from Canada the less they have to pay in duties (or taxes) for the items they are brining back. Hotels benefit because if the shopper stays 48 hours they get a big exemption on any taxes/duties they would need to pay upon their return. By no means, am I an expert on this. Hopefully I'm interpreting it correctly. See bottom of this webpage with breakdown.
Residents Returning to Canada

Old 07-03-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
The longer a person is gone from Canada the less they have to pay in duties (or taxes) for the items they are brining back. Hotels benefit because if the shopper stays 48 hours they get a big exemption on any taxes/duties they would need to pay upon their return. By no means, am I an expert on this. Hopefully I'm interpreting it correctly. See bottom of this webpage with breakdown.
Residents Returning to Canada
Interesting, that is a good opportunity for places like Syracuse, Buffalo, north country, etc. to attract shoppers. It seems like a good deal for Canadian shoppers and a disadvantage for Canadian retailers.

Don't let Canadian politicians know about this!

Old 07-03-2013, 02:13 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,505,565 times
Quote:
Lately I've seen more Canadian license plates at the outlets in Waterloo. Well, more than I did during the winter. Many of them do some serious shopping while there.

If they're here for 48+ hours, the duties they pay back in Canadian are dramatically decreased. Why? Canada loves us?

Old 07-03-2013, 02:25 PM

92,012 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Route 11/Brewerton Road in the North Syracuse area gets quite a few Canadian shoppers as well. From what I remember Acajack, a Canadian poster, mentioning is that they just do not get some of the same items in Canada and the prices for items they do get are lower here. So, if their currency is still on par or slightly stronger, then they look at coming here as a bargain.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:31 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,498,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
they just do not get some of the same items in Canada and the prices for items they do get are lower here.
One of my good friends lives in Toronto area and they usually drive down to Buffalo once every few months because her husband is obsessed with 2 things they cannot get in Canada - Cherry Coke and spray cheese

Old 07-03-2013, 03:41 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,986,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
If they're here for 48+ hours, the duties they pay back in Canadian are dramatically decreased. Why? Canada loves us?
I would suspect the rationale is to put a disincentive on popping back and forth across the border (like going across from Niagara Falls, ONT to Niagara Falls, NY to go grocery shopping and go back immediately thereafter) - and the 48 hour threshold probably is enough to make it considered a tourist visit and not just a routine errand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area