U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 03:17 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,068,842 times

Advertisements

That was very shady and speakes volumes about DeFrancisco's true motives. I don't support giving incentives for Congel's hotel project and don't like that he went around the city's back. With that said, DeFrancisco's 11th hour proposal that would apply exclusively to one IDA in the state and potentially create additional hurdles that would compromise the ability of Onondaga County to win competitive economic development projects is shameful. He's just angry that Cuomo didn't invite him to the table for the nanotech project. He is no advocate for Syracuse. If he was, Syracuse would have received more than a couple of table scraps in the recently approved state budget. He and Magnarelli should retire. Sam Roberts should go as well as he is nothing but a puppet for Shelly Silver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 02:12 PM

1,668 posts, read 2,382,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
That was very shady and speakes volumes about DeFrancisco's true motives. I don't support giving incentives for Congel's hotel project and don't like that he went around the city's back. With that said, DeFrancisco's 11th hour proposal that would apply exclusively to one IDA in the state and potentially create additional hurdles that would compromise the ability of Onondaga County to win competitive economic development projects is shameful. He's just angry that Cuomo didn't invite him to the table for the nanotech project. He is no advocate for Syracuse. If he was, Syracuse would have received more than a couple of table scraps in the recently approved state budget. He and Magnarelli should retire. Sam Roberts should go as well as he is nothing but a puppet for Shelly Silver.
I agree, I think Syracuse is cursed with some real bad leadership. I don't say this specifically about Destiny, but in general. I know we respectfully differ on Mahoney, but I would add Driscoll and to some degree Miner to the list. I know this will sound like a loaded comment, but they seem to work against the interest of the community. I don't know what it is, arrogance, jealousy, ignorance, sour grapes, etc. Power seems to be defined by obstruction, not constructive engagement that fosters growth.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:39 PM

56,317 posts, read 80,538,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I agree, I think Syracuse is cursed with some real bad leadership. I don't say this specifically about Destiny, but in general. I know we respectfully differ on Mahoney, but I would add Driscoll and to some degree Miner to the list. I know this will sound like a loaded comment, but they seem to work against the interest of the community. I don't know what it is, arrogance, jealousy, ignorance, sour grapes, etc. Power seems to be defined by obstruction, not constructive engagement that fosters growth.
Sadly, there does seem like there is too much of a "If my people can't do it, it can't be done" mentality among much of the leadership.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
You are entirely correct. Driscoll and Miner have squandered what little opportunity remained in Syracuse. The next mayor (I'm guessing it will be Walt Dixie, Bill Ryan, Helen Hudson, or Sam Roberts) will be the final nail in the coffin. I just don't see anyone with the temperment, intellect, or sophistication to turn this city around.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
You are entirely correct. Driscoll and Miner have squandered what little opportunity remained in Syracuse. The next mayor (I'm guessing it will be Walt Dixie, Bill Ryan, Helen Hudson, or Sam Roberts) will be the final nail in the coffin. I just don't see anyone with the temperment, intellect, or sophistication to turn this city around.
To be fair, I doubt that any of those people mentioned would actually run for mayor due to being more focused on things at a smaller level within the community. It will be interesting to see who emerges in the future though.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To be fair, I doubt that any of those people mentioned would actually run for mayor due to being more focused on things at a smaller level within the community. It will be interesting to see who emerges in the future though.
A while back the P-S reported that Roberts was interested. Helen is very close with Miner and recently moved Downtown. She comes across as very ambitious politically, especially given her union organizing activities through the SEIU and organizing protests. Ryan's role as Chief of Staff for Miner and his connections to City government (he got his daughter hired by Miner in the law dept) seems to indicate he has ambitions.

Out of the four, Roberts seems like the more honest and affable person. I just don't seem him doing anything to improve the city. His tenure in Albany had been unremarkable.

I will say that Khalid Bey has pleasantly surprised me. I can't think of anything he did that I disagreed with except one piece of legislation he proposed that is now stalled. He has been far more moderate and pro development than anyone else on the council. His stance in favor of the Stadium proposal also showed his independence unlike Hudson who has been a rubber stamp for Miner. Bey's proposal to refine a century old law on disorderly tenants and properties was a perfect example of tackling a problem that impacts so many neighborhoods.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
A while back the P-S reported that Roberts was interested. Helen is very close with Miner and recently moved Downtown. She comes across as very ambitious politically, especially given her union organizing activities through the SEIU and organizing protests. Ryan's role as Chief of Staff for Miner and his connections to City government (he got his daughter hired by Miner in the law dept) seems to indicate he has ambitions.

Out of the four, Roberts seems like the more honest and affable person. I just don't seem him doing anything to improve the city. His tenure in Albany had been unremarkable.

I will say that Khalid Bey has pleasantly surprised me. I can't think of anything he did that I disagreed with except one piece of legislation he proposed that is now stalled. He has been far more moderate and pro development than anyone else on the council. His stance in favor of the Stadium proposal also showed his independence unlike Hudson who has been a rubber stamp for Miner. Bey's proposal to refine a century old law on disorderly tenants and properties was a perfect example of tackling a problem that impacts so many neighborhoods.
I agree that Bey has surprised me as well and he does seem to take a more at large approach to city issues and needs.

Ironically, I actually work with Roberts' brother in law. So, I may ask him how serious his ambitions are. He seems like a nice guy, but I don't know how he would approach or address certain issues in the city.

Another name that came to my mind due to his involvement in city development and his family's political history is Ben Walsh. For some reason, I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually considered running for mayor in the future.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:13 AM

1,668 posts, read 2,382,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I agree that Bey has surprised me as well and he does seem to take a more at large approach to city issues and needs.

Ironically, I actually work with Roberts' brother in law. So, I may ask him how serious his ambitions are. He seems like a nice guy, but I don't know how he would approach or address certain issues in the city.

Another name that came to my mind due to his involvement in city development and his family's political history is Ben Walsh. For some reason, I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually considered running for mayor in the future.
I really do not know any of the people you mentioned, but I am familiar with Walsh (as is our family). I am sure he is being groomed for Mayor or higher office. I believe RR mentioned Roberts and her ties to SEIU and unions, that is the last thing Syracuse needs is a hard core union activist in City Hall. As RR said, it would be the final nail in the coffin. Then again, Miner is a big advocate for unions.

That said, I am going to throw a name out that RR will not like. I am going to throw Robert Simpson of Centerstate CEO, I can see him running for Mayor. I am not going to speculate whether he will be a good Mayor or not, but he has to be better than what we have had.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:54 AM

1,537 posts, read 2,210,730 times
Quote:
That said, I am going to throw a name out that RR will not like. I am going to throw Robert Simpson of Centerstate CEO, I can see him running for Mayor. I am not going to speculate whether he will be a good Mayor or not, but he has to be better than what we have had.
He is laying the groundwork now. I am sure it is only a matter of time. He has the connections. There are a lot of connections that would stand to make a lot of money with him as Mayor.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
He is laying the groundwork now. I am sure it is only a matter of time. He has the connections. There are a lot of connections that would stand to make a lot of money with him as Mayor.

I am curious - do you think he would be a good mayor? Also, do you think he would have been more effective at CenterState CEO if politicians and other players involved weren't in the way of progress or is the poor economy in this region and some of the questionable decisions that have been made by Center State strictly by design?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area