U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 01:28 PM

56,251 posts, read 80,408,935 times

Advertisements

Available Articles | Nordstrom Rack store to open at Destiny USA this fall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 10:32 AM

Includes other shopping centers: Several retail store closings hit Destiny USA, Great Northern Mall | syracuse.com

Old 01-20-2015, 02:06 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,509,024 times
With a trend among Americans to eat out less and Destiny getting packed with national chains I wonder what the net effect on local type place is gonna be, long term.

Americans are falling out of love with restaurants

Old 01-20-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
With a trend among Americans to eat out less and Destiny getting packed with national chains I wonder what the net effect on local type place is gonna be, long term.

Americans are falling out of love with restaurants
Interesting article....I think with DestinyUSA, you also get quite a few Canadian shoppers that patronize it. So, that is a different factor to consider. I'm not sure how it effects local restaurants, but I think they still get their usual customers.

With Destiny, I'm more concerned with the retail aspect, as I'm hearing that they are taking another store from Northern Lights Plaza in Michael's. So, I wonder if this is a trend that will continue and will Northern Lights adjust to the changes by trying to replace stores that have left.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:21 PM

With the mall concept about dead anyway and a huge tax free mall up the road I'd say stick a fork in them other malls.

Sears doesn't sell much I like but they have some stuff. I was in Auburn and the Sears at that mall is gone. The one in oneida is gone. Not sure about New Hartford. I just went by last night to. And that's kinda the story these days " I went by the mall". By as in didn't stop.

Still a place for some retail. In bigger cities mostly. I have to admit all the way to auburn I was planning on getting out early and heading to Rochester to do some shopping but it didn't happen.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
With the mall concept about dead anyway and a huge tax free mall up the road I'd say stick a fork in them other malls.

Sears doesn't sell much I like but they have some stuff. I was in Auburn and the Sears at that mall is gone. The one in oneida is gone. Not sure about New Hartford. I just went by last night to. And that's kinda the story these days " I went by the mall". By as in didn't stop.

Still a place for some retail. In bigger cities mostly. I have to admit all the way to auburn I was planning on getting out early and heading to Rochester to do some shopping but it didn't happen.
Northern Lights is more of a plaza. Luckily, there have been examples of formerly dead/dying malls that have transformed themselves into nice shopping centers like Fairmount Fair, Camillus Plaza(former Camillus Mall), Marketplace Mall and the Towne Centre at Fayetteville(former Fayetteville Mall). There's also the former Penn Can Mall, which is largely Driver's Village and a huge Burlington Coat Factory. So, it may be a matter of coming back as something different.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:09 PM

For me "the mall" will always mean Riverside Mall in Utica. The mall is long gone but it's cut up into a Bass Pro and Lowes and things like that. Even the parts of the original still there have outside entrances now.

I imagine when Destiny passes it's will be to big to be useful and it will sit empty.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
For me "the mall" will always mean Riverside Mall in Utica. The mall is long gone but it's cut up into a Bass Pro and Lowes and things like that. Even the parts of the original still there have outside entrances now.

I imagine when Destiny passes it's will be to big to be useful and it will sit empty.
I don't know. It may be the only mall in the area similar to what Sangertown Square Mall is to the Utica-Rome area. I think the others will evolve into something else, if they haven't already done so.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:25 PM

Weak loonie could keep Canadians away from Upstate tourist hotspots like Destiny USA | syracuse.com

Old 12-14-2016, 09:45 PM

New store coming to mall: Available Articles | Urban lifestyle retailer EbLens opens at Destiny USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area