U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 09:33 AM

56,248 posts, read 80,408,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
The last 2 weeks the CNY news channels have posting about several restaurants and shop that have closed at Destiny. There's been quite a few.
Yes, I am familiar with that and posted/mentioned some of them. Some stores as well, Like this one: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.syrac...75_million.amp

Or these examples: https://www.google.com/amp/www.newyo...his_summer.amp

Others: Toby Keith's I Love This Bar closes Destiny USA location -

Uno Pizzeria & Grill closing its doors at Destiny - Story

I don't know about within the last 2 weeks, but over a few/several months. There has always been a history of turnover even when it was Carousel Center. Places come and go. Some of this may be due to that chain making cuts in various places across the country as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 08:35 AM

Cinnabon opens at Destiny USA - Story | LocalSYR

Old 05-17-2017, 10:46 AM

1,668 posts, read 2,380,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, I am familiar with that and posted/mentioned some of them. Some stores as well, Like this one: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.syrac...75_million.amp

Or these examples: https://www.google.com/amp/www.newyo...his_summer.amp

Others: Toby Keith's I Love This Bar closes Destiny USA location -

Uno Pizzeria & Grill closing its doors at Destiny - Story

I don't know about within the last 2 weeks, but over a few/several months. There has always been a history of turnover even when it was Carousel Center. Places come and go. Some of this may be due to that chain making cuts in various places across the country as well.
I think it is a natural progression of things in the retail business that has nothing to do with Syracuse, many are closing down here too! That said, larger regional malls down here are doing the same thing as Destiny by adding entertainment and hotel accommodations. I think the next step will be residential as proposed for the Galleria in Fort Lauderdale (see photo below) to stay alive. There is some opposition from local neighbors who feel that the new development would encroach too closely into their neighborhood and would foster too much traffic (sound familiar) because the proposal calls for 7 residential towers ranging from 7 to 27 stories wrapping the entire mall, which I agree is a bit excessive. I am not suggesting anything like 27 stories for Destiny, but four of the tower proposed for Galleria are 7,9,11 and 13 stories which I think are appropriate heights for Destiny depending on market conditions. Unlike Galleria, Destiny has the benefit of being located well away from residential neighborhoods in a formerly industrial transitioning area. Of course that progression to residential at Destiny will not take place while Mayor Stephanie "take'em to court" Miner remains in office, but it is something to consider esp. with demand high for residential within the urban core. Smaller malls down here are successfully converting to big box, strip center or "lifestyle" destinations like the former Camillus, Fairmount Fair or Fayetteville Malls (not convinced Town Center in Fayetteville is a lifestyle center, but that is what it was touted as at the time). Remarkably, I have not seen anything from scratch built down here on the magnitude a Township 5 in Camillus with the exception of some small retail centers.
Attached Thumbnails
Destiny USA update-fl-sb-galleria-towers-fort-lauderdale  

Last edited by urbanplanner; 05-17-2017 at 11:49 AM..

Old 05-17-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I think it is a natural progression of things in the retail business that has nothing to do with Syracuse, many are closing down here too! That said, larger regional malls down here are doing the same thing as Destiny by adding entertainment and hotel accommodations. I think the next step will be residential as proposed for the Galleria in Fort Lauderdale (see photo below) to stay alive. There is some opposition from local neighbors who feel that the new development would encroach too closely into their neighborhood and would foster too much traffic (sound familiar) because the proposal calls for 7 residential towers ranging from 7 to 27 stories wrapping the entire mall, which I agree is a bit excessive. I am not suggesting anything like 27 stories for Destiny, but four of the tower proposed for Galleria are 7,9,11 and 13 stories which I think are appropriate heights for Destiny depending on market conditions. Unlike Galleria, Destiny has the benefit of being located well away from residential neighborhoods in a formerly industrial transitioning area. Of course that progression to residential at Destiny will not take place while Mayor Stephanie "take'em to court" Miner remains in office, but it is something to consider esp. with demand high for residential within the urban core. Smaller malls down here are successfully converting to big box, strip center or "lifestyle" destinations like the former Camillus, Fairmount Fair or Fayetteville Malls (not convinced Town Center in Fayetteville is a lifestyle center, but that is what it was touted as at the time). Remarkably, I have not seen anything from scratch built down here on the magnitude a Township 5 in Camillus with the exception of some small retail centers.
I think you are right and Syracuse has a unique chance to construct essentially a new neighborhood around the Inner Harbor that would connect Destiny USA with Franklin Square and Downtown. It is kind of happening already, as there are more apartments along North Clinton Street near I-81, West Division and Spencer Streets. Now, there just needs to be more development around the Harbor and further north in order to have more impact.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:57 PM

Athletic Apex is coming to the shopping center: https://www.cnybj.com/athletic-apex-...ation-hire-75/

Old 09-30-2017, 07:59 AM

This is coming to the shopping center: https://www.museumofintrigue.com/

Old 09-30-2017, 09:39 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,702,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is coming to the shopping center: https://www.museumofintrigue.com/
Any idea how it's different than Wonder Works? Kind of sounds similar.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Any idea how it's different than Wonder Works? Kind of sounds similar.
WonderWorks is based towards a younger set of people and doesn't have the mystery theme of this place. https://www.wonderworksonline.com/destiny/

Old 11-28-2017, 08:09 AM

Destiny USA sees increase in visitors on Thanksgiving, Black Friday 2017 | syracuse.com

See exclusive birds' eye view of Destiny USA's parking lots during Black Friday | syracuse.com

Old 12-07-2017, 04:41 PM

In regards to the new CNY Welcome Center opening: https://www.cnybj.com/state-opens-cn...t-destiny-usa/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area