U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:36 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,693,046 times

Advertisements

Don't know much about the place (I'm pulling 615 W Onondaga as the address), but it's in a... hit or miss area. There are some beautiful buildings over there, a lot of them in some state of disrepair - and some decently kept. Friends lived just up the street from there in an apartment and loved it - a loft in the former 2nd house behind a larger building. The area can also be somewhat loud as home base for Rural Metro ambulance service is very close by - but for a week or two, it may work for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 3,667 times
Good infor to know-- thanks!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 PM

13 posts, read 28,664 times
Thank you for all your help. I picked an apartment

I started looking at utilities. I'm going with Time Warner for internet since Verizon is 1-3mbps for my area. I also looked for gas/electricity. I need a clarification: I can to select my own natural gas and/or electric supplier? I'm only used to having one choice, which is SoCal Edison.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 PM

56,223 posts, read 80,352,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feigenbaum View Post
Thank you for all your help. I picked an apartment

I started looking at utilities. I'm going with Time Warner for internet since Verizon is 1-3mbps for my area. I also looked for gas/electricity. I need a clarification: I can to select my own natural gas and/or electric supplier? I'm only used to having one choice, which is SoCal Edison.
Gas and electric is from National Grid, unless you are in the Solvay area and get their Solvay Electric. https://www1.nationalgridus.com/CorporateHub

Electric Department Official Village of Solvay Website

Or you may be able to use something like this: Ambit Energy | Top Electricity and Gas Provider

ACN Direct Seller Home-Based Business Opportunity, Products & Services

Old 07-24-2012, 07:47 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,630,968 times
Congrats on the place! What area did you decide on?

Personally, I would wait a year before switching to a "cost savings" company for electric and gas because you don't know what your usage will be. National Grid does have a budget plan that makes the bills constant throughout the year (so they will be more in the summer and less in the winter), but that would be based on the previous tenant's usage since you haven't moved in yet.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:20 PM

655 posts, read 2,040,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feigenbaum View Post
I started looking at utilities. I looked for gas/electricity. I need a clarification: I can to select my own natural gas and/or electric supplier? I'm only used to having one choice, which is SoCal Edison.
Hello feigenbaum,

As ckhthankgod said, if you live in the Solvay Electric Area then that will be your service provider.

In most/all other areas National Grid is the usual provider.

National Grid owns the electric wires that bring electricity to your home. And National Grid owns the underground pipes that bring natural gas to your home. Because National Grid owns both those delivery systems (Wires & Pipes), National Grid will always send you a bill for electricity being delivered to you over THEIR OWNED wires and a bill for gas being delivered to you over THEIR OWNED pipes. So that is called a systems delivery charge. Then on top of that SYSTEMS DELIVERY charge, are the charges for the AMOUNTS of electricity and gas that you use. You can buy both your electricity & gas supply from National Grid if you want to. (That's what I do). Or you can buy your gas supply from a different separate gas company=but the gas will still come to your home through National Grid pipes. Some of the other gas companies say they have lower prices than National Grid but I don't think the difference is very big or that much lower. So if you buy everything from National Grid, you'll get just one-single-bill. If buy your gas from a different company, then you'll get one bill from National Grid for: using their electric wires to deliver your electricity-for using their pipes to receive your gas-and for the amount of electricity you use. Then you'll get a separate bill from the other gas company for the amount of gas you bought from them. I have never heard that you can/could buy your electricity from another different separate electric company. I find it simplier and easier to just buy everything from National Grid and thereby NOT HAVE 2 separate bills.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 07-24-2012 at 08:29 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Congrats on the place! What area did you decide on?

Personally, I would wait a year before switching to a "cost savings" company for electric and gas because you don't know what your usage will be. National Grid does have a budget plan that makes the bills constant throughout the year (so they will be more in the summer and less in the winter), but that would be based on the previous tenant's usage since you haven't moved in yet.
I'll be in North Syracuse in Court-Woodlawn.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Gas and electric is from National Grid, unless you are in the Solvay area and get their Solvay Electric. https://www1.nationalgridus.com/CorporateHub

Electric Department Official Village of Solvay Website

Or you may be able to use something like this: Ambit Energy | Top Electricity and Gas Provider

ACN Direct Seller Home-Based Business Opportunity, Products & Services
Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
Hello feigenbaum,

As ckhthankgod said, if you live in the Solvay Electric Area then that will be your service provider.

In most/all other areas National Grid is the usual provider.

National Grid owns the electric wires that bring electricity to your home. And National Grid owns the underground pipes that bring natural gas to your home. Because National Grid owns both those delivery systems (Wires & Pipes), National Grid will always send you a bill for electricity being delivered to you over THEIR OWNED wires and a bill for gas being delivered to you over THEIR OWNED pipes. So that is called a systems delivery charge. Then on top of that SYSTEMS DELIVERY charge, are the charges for the AMOUNTS of electricity and gas that you use. You can buy both your electricity & gas supply from National Grid if you want to. (That's what I do). Or you can buy your gas supply from a different separate gas company=but the gas will still come to your home through National Grid pipes. Some of the other gas companies say they have lower prices than National Grid but I don't think the difference is very big or that much lower. So if you buy everything from National Grid, you'll get just one-single-bill. If buy your gas from a different company, then you'll get one bill from National Grid for: using their electric wires to deliver your electricity-for using their pipes to receive your gas-and for the amount of electricity you use. Then you'll get a separate bill from the other gas company for the amount of gas you bought from them. I have never heard that you can/could buy your electricity from another different separate electric company. I find it simplier and easier to just buy everything from National Grid and thereby NOT HAVE 2 separate bills.

grdnrman
Thank you for all the information. I'm all set up now with National Grid. This is what confused me when I looked up service:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area