U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 7,118 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Louisville, KY to Syracuse, NY for graduate school. I am looking for a one bedroom apartment close(ish) to SU. I have been looking at different apartment complexes and flats for a few weeks now, and I have started contacting various places. I haven't been able to figure out if I am looking to late or too early because I am planning (or hoping) to be moving early August (1-7ish).

I contacted the following places and they have already responded saying that it is unlikely that they will have an opening for a one bedroom in August.
+Nob Hill
+Clarendon Heights
+Newbury Apartments (only has 2 bedrooms available)
+Hidden Valley
+Jefferson Tower
+Madison Tower

I have started looking at orangehousing.com for one bedroom places, and I have even been looking under the "needs roommates" section.

Here is the list I currently have of places I am considering or still need to contact.
+Carriage House Apartments
+Maplewood Apartment Homes
+Vincent Apartments
+A flat on Oak Street
+A flat in the 200 block of Green Street

I have heard that Lodi/James Street is not the best area, so I'm steering away from that. Any thoughts on the above places I am looking at? Are there any areas or streets that I should look for places on that were not mentioned? I want to steer away from places heavily populated with undergrads. I would prefer somewhere on/clse to the SU bus line; however, when looking at my list of places I am considering, it's obvious that it isn't a must.

I am planning on visiting Syracuse in mid-June to visit and find a place.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 02:21 PM

56,109 posts, read 80,195,111 times
What about these apartments? University Village Student Apartments - Syracuse, NY

Welcome | Syracuse Student Rentals - SU Apartments - UniversityHill.com

and more information: SUNY-ESF: SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry

MapsKrieg - Syracuse, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale

Jefferson Tower Apartments for Rent | Syracuse NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 7,118 times
Any thoughts on Greenway Place Apartments?

Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 AM

74 posts, read 69,738 times
I live at The James Apartments with my fiancee who came here for graduate school also. James/Lodi isn't too bad. It's like any other city really. The bad areas are bad for those involved in bad things.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:32 AM

580 posts, read 1,012,260 times
A good number of graduate students live around Greenway Place; the Hawley-Green neighborhood is marginal at worst.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:53 PM

655 posts, read 2,038,289 times
Default Syracuse University Grad Student Apartments

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgferg02 View Post
I am moving from Louisville, KY to Syracuse, NY for graduate school. I am looking for a one bedroom apartment close(ish) to SU. I have been looking at different apartment complexes and flats for a few weeks now, and I have started contacting various places. I haven't been able to figure out if I am looking to late or too early because I am planning (or hoping) to be moving early August (1-7ish).

I contacted the following places and they have already responded saying that it is unlikely that they will have an opening for a one bedroom in August.
+Nob Hill
+Clarendon Heights
+Newbury Apartments (only has 2 bedrooms available)
+Hidden Valley
+Jefferson Tower
+Madison Tower

I have started looking at orangehousing.com for one bedroom places, and I have even been looking under the "needs roommates" section.

Here is the list I currently have of places I am considering or still need to contact.
+Carriage House Apartments
+Maplewood Apartment Homes
+Vincent Apartments
+A flat on Oak Street
+A flat in the 200 block of Green Street

I have heard that Lodi/James Street is not the best area, so I'm steering away from that. Any thoughts on the above places I am looking at? Are there any areas or streets that I should look for places on that were not mentioned? I want to steer away from places heavily populated with undergrads. I would prefer somewhere on/clse to the SU bus line; however, when looking at my list of places I am considering, it's obvious that it isn't a must.

I am planning on visiting Syracuse in mid-June to visit and find a place.

Thanks for the help!
Hello lgferg02,

I guess that you only want to consider rental places in Syracuse city somewhat close to SU rather than any suburb locations, correct? A bus ride from a suburb would take longer.

Okay. Here are my thoughts.

Of the above places you mentioned, the only ones I would POSSIBLY suggest to you (even though I may not think they are the best places in Metro Syracuse) would be (not perfect): Nob Hill (could be okay), Jefferson Tower (in the center of downtown Syr - could be okay), Maplewood Gardens (could be okay). I don't care for any of the other places you mentioned, but everyone has their own opinion. I would not go to Greenway Place; I don't like the neighborhood even though they are trying to improve it. I think a few places on James Street could be okay. Have you researched: The James Apartments, 600 James St., downtown Syracuse, Ph. 1-888-691-8875 (might be okay). Remember, when you live IN any main city (not just Syracuse) area there can be some extra problems, crime, whatever that happen as opposed to a suburban location.

To use the public bus line (CENTRO) for travel to SU, YOU will have to check to see how convenient the operation hours and bus routes would be for your use.

Please refer to a Metro Syracuse street map to locate the neighborhoods that I will be mentioning.

If it were me and I absolutely wanted an IN-CITY location somewhere near Syracuse University then I'd look at apartments in the Westcott St.-Euclid Ave. neighborhood. I think you could be happiest and safest somewhere in that area; although nothing is guaranteed. You said that you don't want to be near undergraduates BUT a lot of undergraduates DO live in that area. I think you should forget about NOT living near them because I think THAT neighborhood is best for you (other than suburban locations). On Westcott St. look from Concord Place southward. On Euclid Avenue look from Comstock Ave. eastward to about Bradford Parkway. That encompasses a lot of streets. You will find nice apartments & buildings and some NOT SO NICE apartments & buildings; You will have to judge everything for yourself.

Another neighborhood where you might find some decent apartments is the Eastwood neighborhood centered outward from the intersections of James Street and Midler Ave. Also in Eastwood, the Sunnycrest neighborhood. NOT every place in Eastwood will be good; you judge for yourself. Also you might find a decent place in the Lyncourt - Woodlawn neighborhood.

Apartments>> ... www.ApartmentFinder.com/

If you were looking in the suburbs, then I'd say look at: Pinecrest Manor (everything included in the rent), 7300 Cedarpost Rd., Liverpool, Ph. 315-451-3110; Clayton Manor, off Henry Clay Blvd. at 300 Clayton Manor Dr., Liverpool, Ph. 1-888-866-4896; ABC Estate, off Henry Clay Blvd. at 4750 Woodard Way, Liverpool, Ph. 1-877-248-5070; Norstar Apartments, off Henry Clay Blvd. at 4784 Norstar Blvd., Liverpool, Ph. 1-888-886-5767; Kings Gate West, off Hinsdale Road at 8 Kings Court, Camillus, Ph. 1-888-901-3201.

I wish you the best in finding an apartment that you like. I think you will like Syracuse University. Welcome to Syracuse and Central New York.

grdnrman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or