U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:04 PM

39 posts, read 105,850 times

Advertisements

My husband has landed a job in North Syracuse. I am totally unfamiliar with the area. We have 2 very young children and plan to stay for 3-5 years, so we would only care about pre-school/elementary school quality. What I am hoping for is to rent a single family house
1) in a very safe neighborhood, where we don't have to drive through bad areas to get where we need to go (shopping, groceries, school, work, etc.)
2)that is as new as possible. We have lived in older building & really hate it. New construction would be best...is this unrealistic? Our max budget is $2000/month for something w/ 3-4 bedrooms
3)in a neighborhood that is nice/quiet/pretty. Don't want to live next to industrial areas, vacant lots or other unpleasantness. Would love if we could walk to parks and playgrounds.

We are moving from rural Northern NJ. Am I in for a rude awakening? I have heard Liverpool & Baldwinsville are nice, but all the houses I look at were built pre-1950. Is it the same story everywhere? I am trying to be excited about this move. Please help. Thanks

Last edited by kwruk1; 05-17-2012 at 01:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 01:34 PM

1,537 posts, read 2,209,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwruk1 View Post
Am I in for a rude awakening?
The short answer is YES!

I would look towards Clay, but others can help you with apartment complexes.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:43 PM

56,286 posts, read 80,465,056 times
Quote:
My husband has landed a job in North Syracuse. I am totally unfamiliar with the area. We have 2 very young children and plan to stay for 3-5 years, so we would only care about pre-school/elementary school quality. What I am hoping for is to rent a home
1) in a very safe neighborhood, where we don't have to drive through bad areas to get where we need to go (shopping, groceries, school, work, etc.)
2)that is as new as possible. We have lived in older building & really hate it. New construction would be best...is this unrealistic? Our max budget is $2000/month for something w/ 3-4 bedrooms
3)in a neighborhood that is nice/quiet/pretty. Don't want to live next to industrial areas, vacant lots or other unpleasantness. Would love if we could walk to parks and playgrounds.

We are moving from rural Northern NJ. Am I in for a rude awakening? I have heard Liverpool & Baldwinsville are nice, but all the houses I look at were built pre-1950. Is it the same story everywhere? I am trying to be excited about this move. Please help. Thanks
Homes in Liverpool, Baldwinsville, North Syracuse, Cicero, etc. vary from early 20th century, if not earlier to recently built homes. Actually, the Northern suburbs, which I just mentioned, would be fine. If you are looking for an apartment building, with that budget, you can live pretty much anywhere you want. You may like places like these listed here: Grenadier Village Apartments for Rent | Liverpool NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

Center Pointe at Radisson Apartments for Rent | Baldwinsville NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

Brentwood Village Apartments for Rent | Liverpool NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

Rivers Pointe Apartments for Rent | Liverpool NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

Greenway Apartments for Rent | Baldwinsville NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

Wildwood Ridge Apartments for Rent | Fayetteville NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

The Hammocks at Timber Banks Apartments for Rent | Baldwinsville NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

Then, you have this: http://realtyusa.com/property/proper...VAR_SearchType=

Clay Real Estate - 7724 Majestic Drive, Clay, NY, 13090=

Cicero Real Estate - 6219 Henryk Woods Rd, Cicero, NY, 13039=

Clay Real Estate - 4912 Dahlia Circle, Clay, NY, 13088=

Cicero Real Estate - 9513 Glengarriff Dr, Cicero, NY, 13029=

http://realtyusa.com/property/proper...VAR_SearchType=

So, you have options. Schools districts in the Northern suburbs are Liverpool, North Syracuse and Baldwinsville. Here's information on each of them:
Baldwinsville Central School District
Test Scores for Baldwinsville Central School District | GreatSchools
https://reportcards.nysed.gov/school...1004&year=2011

Liverpool Central School District
Test Scores for Liverpool Central School District | GreatSchools
https://reportcards.nysed.gov/school...0959&year=2011

North Syracuse Central School District
Test Scores for North Syracuse Central School District | GreatSchools
https://reportcards.nysed.gov/school...5803&year=2011

Old 05-17-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
The short answer is YES!

I would look towards Clay, but others can help you with apartment complexes.
I don't think so in terms of fulfilling the OP's criteria. Remember that they are coming from rural Northern NJ. So, that could mean areas closer to Northeastern PA and the Catskill/Hudson Valley portion of NY versus areas closer to NYC.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the info (and candor) about the area. We are hoping to live in a single family home, but will make do with an apartment if that is our best option.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:55 PM

Where we live now is very quiet and woodsy. We are about an hour from NYC, 2 hours from Hudson Valley. I lived in Rhinebeck & Hyde Park NY for about 4 years. Is Syracuse at all similar? (I get the feeling no). I have been mostly put off by the crime reports and gang activity in Syracuse, but I know it is a large area with different parts to it. I just want to live in a nice, clean home with a yard in a safe neighborhood where I am not worried about crime. There is basically zero crime where we are now. It is hard, as an outsider, to get an accurate picture of Syracuse just by looking on the internet.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:18 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,663,465 times
I used to live about as far into rural Northwestern NJ as you could go. Surrounded by deep woods, very quiet, no crime at all, spotty cell service, no gas lines, or cable TV. Bear were common and lake houses were the norm. I don't live in Syracuse but I haven't found a place in the US with quite the same feel as northwestern NJ. I don't think that Syracuse has that feel, I lived in Queensbury, NY briefly, right near the border of the Adirondack park, and that feel came close to Northwestern NJ. Syracuse does seem much cheaper though.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:25 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,693,974 times
What you'll likely run into is that the rental market for single-family modern homes is not big here - in part because this area's housing prices and population trends haven't supported as many newer construction homes as other areas. Craigslist is probably a good place to look for house rentals. Areas likelier to have newer construction are Baldwinsville (outside the village proper, may be marked Van Buren or Lysander), Liverpool addresses closer to Rte. 31/Clay, Clay and Cicero. Likewise to the east of Syracuse you'd be looking in East Syracuse (again, outside the village), Minoa/Fremont, Manlius and areas like that. All of those areas are for perfectly safe communities.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:37 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,067,697 times
Quote:
Where we live now is very quiet and woodsy. We are about an hour from NYC, 2 hours from Hudson Valley. I lived in Rhinebeck & Hyde Park NY for about 4 years. Is Syracuse at all similar? (I get the feeling no). I have been mostly put off by the crime reports and gang activity in Syracuse, but I know it is a large area with different parts to it. I just want to live in a nice, clean home with a yard in a safe neighborhood where I am not worried about crime. There is basically zero crime where we are now. It is hard, as an outsider, to get an accurate picture of Syracuse just by looking on the internet.
The towns west and east of Syracuse will more closely resemble places in the Hudson Valley due to the hilly topography and older architecture that looks more like New England. Cazenovia and Skaneateles are probably most similiar to Rhinebeck in terms of upscale boutiques and well preserved architecture that resembles a Norman Rockwell painting. The villages of Manlius, Fayetteville and Marcellus (to a lesser degree) remind me more of Hyde Park.

I have been to Sussex County several times, and think places like Marcellus, Fabius and Tully would be most similiar - although all three communities give you a longer commute to North Syracuse, particularly in the winter. You may want to look into Baldwinsville, which is much closer to North Syracuse and has newer construction.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:12 PM

Also, keep in mind kwruk1 that North Syracuse is a suburb north of the city of Syracuse. I'm kind of getting the impression that you may think it is a part of the city of Syracuse, which also has areas/neighborhoods that vary as well. Those issues you mention are relegated to certain parts, just like any other city with over 100,000 people or even less.

You can be in rural areas quickly around here. It is not unusual for largely suburban school districts to have rural areas. You may also like villages like Baldwinsville or Liverpool. Liverpool has Onondaga Lake Park, a nice library, some restaurants and a few more businesses. Baldwinsville is bisected by the Seneca River and has some businesses too. It is a little more rural and rustic looking in parts, but is very safe. Even the village of North Syracuse is solid and has a nice library, Parks, a main street with a bunch of stores and some restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area