U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:09 PM

15 posts, read 19,027 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me an idea of what i can expect for pay as a service advisor/writer in the area. I am currently with Mercedes Benz in AZ but am looking to move back to beautiful upstate NY. Miss it and feel like its a better place to raise a family than here. Im 29 and have been in the auto business for 11 years. Also, does anyone know of a good dealership i should look into? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 AM

56,165 posts, read 80,251,180 times
For a Merecedes-Benz dealership, look into Romano Motors: ROMANO MOTORS | MERCEDES-BENZ DEALER SYRACUSE NY | MERCEDES-BENZ DEALER FAYETTEVILLE NY

I'm not sure about pay for that position, but I did find this: Automotive Service Advisor Salaries in Syracuse, NY | Simply Hired

Auto Service Advisor Salary in Syracuse, NY

Automotive Service Advisor Salary in East Syracuse, NY | Indeed.com

I found this too: Automotive Service Advisor Jobs in NY (Hiring) - New York Automotive Service Advisor Jobs | Jobs to Careers

Central New York Jobs | Jobs in New York and Surrounding Areas

Old 05-31-2012, 06:22 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,626,889 times
I don't know anything about pay, but I absolutely LOVE my dealership and won't go anywhere else - Koerner Ford

Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 AM

Wow that is perfect! I'm new to this site but the info i've been getting back is great. Were heading back in August to drop off some resumes and check out some areas. Can you recommend some towns/cities close to Fayetville that we should check out?

Old 05-31-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teli421 View Post
Wow that is perfect! I'm new to this site but the info i've been getting back is great. Were heading back in August to drop off some resumes and check out some areas. Can you recommend some towns/cities close to Fayetville that we should check out?
Fayetteville itself, along with Manlius and the other eastern suburbs would be a great place to start. It's a matter of what you are looking for in a community. Cazenovia just inside of the Madison County line is another place to look into.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Fayetteville itself, along with Manlius and the other eastern suburbs would be a great place to start. It's a matter of what you are looking for in a community. Cazenovia just inside of the Madison County line is another place to look into.
What about taxes? One thing that i never even thought about with the move until i got on this site, was the taxes. I left when i was 18 so i had no idea they were so high. Does a better/safer area with good schools=higher taxes. I live in a 1600 sq/ft house in PHX and our taxes are $1300. We will be flying into Buffalo and driving to Amsterdam making stops along the way around Syracuse to check out the areas.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teli421 View Post
What about taxes? One thing that i never even thought about with the move until i got on this site, was the taxes. I left when i was 18 so i had no idea they were so high. Does a better/safer area with good schools=higher taxes. I live in a 1600 sq/ft house in PHX and our taxes are $1300. We will be flying into Buffalo and driving to Amsterdam making stops along the way around Syracuse to check out the areas.
It depends, but it seems that way. It is important to challenge assessments, look into exemptions and make sure to research what you want in terms of where you want to live.

Here are examples of what is in the areas I mentioned earlier in the thread: CNYHomes - Homes for Sale in Syracuse and Central New York - Your Search Results

Old 06-01-2012, 12:33 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,064,455 times
The Mercedes dealership in Fayetteville is owned by the Romano Family which also has Toyota, Ford, Mazda, Subaru, and Volkswagen franchises in the Syracuse area. I haven't dealt with them personally, but have heard some complaints about them (not from current or former employees, but customers). They recently expanded and renovated their dealership to comply with the latest MB design standards. The fact that you worked at a MB dealership in Phoenix, a major luxury car market should make you more attractive to any dealership group around here.

The Syracuse area does have not corporate owned dealerships like Inskip, Penske, etc. Essentially four locally-based families control a big chunk of the market share in this order:

Burdick (all but a couple of franchises are located at Driver's Village, the site of a former shopping mall in Cicero); has 22 brands (includes multiple GM, Ford and Chrysler brands)

Romano: Five brands scattered across area (eastern suburbs and on the city's west side)

Fox Auto Group: Seven brands in multiple buildings along Route 5 in Auburn

Bill Rapp: Four brands in multiple buildings at Burnet and Thompson Roads in Syracuse

The Syracuse area has the following luxury car brands:

Acura (Crest, Automobile Row area, West Genesee Street in Syracuse)
Audi (Burdick, Cicero)
BMW (Burdick, Cicero)
Cadillac (Automobile Row, Syracuse)
Infiniti (Lowery Bros., Automobile Row, Syracuse)
Lexus (Burdick, Cicero)
Mercedes (Romano, Fayetteville)
Porsche (Burdick, Cicero)
Volvo (Alan Byer, Automobile Row, Syracuse)

Burdick Toyota has an opening for a Service Advisor
Automotive Service Advisor at Burdick Toyota-Scion in Cicero, NY | Syracuse NY Local Job Search with syracuse.com

As far as what dealerships to recommend. I don't know anyone who worked or works at any, except my cousin who worked at Burdick Lexus a couple of summers ago driving cars back and forth to customer's homes or workplaces. He didn't like it but has a bad attitude and latent sense of entitlement, so I would take his opinion with a grain of salt.

I have only personally dealt with two dealerships, Nissan North in Fulton and Lowery Bros Infiniti in Syracuse. Both are small dealerships, but the customer service is excellent. For the last couple of years I have taken my car to Lowery Bros for service and have nothing but positive things to say. The employees, including the service and even sales staff have been very friendly, even though I didn't purchase the car there and don't even live in the area. I have had several minor issues that large volume Infiniti dealerships in Greenwich, CT, Manhattan and White Plains, NY couldn't figure out that were diagnosed and fixed immediately by Lowery in Syracuse. Despite living 250 miles away, I actually bring the car up with me to see family and take a day off work to get it serviced because I have been so impressed with their integrity and the quality work they do. I normally am not fond of car dealerships and rarely trust them, particuarly because many shops charge for work that isn't needed and/or can be misleading. This dealership is a major exception. Lowery Bros has several service advisors and they seem to retain employees pretty well.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:42 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,064,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I don't know anything about pay, but I absolutely LOVE my dealership and won't go anywhere else - Koerner Ford

My grandfather has purchased several cars from them and also had a great experience. I hope they stick around because they must face considerable competition from many of the bigger dealership groups with Ford franchises that plaster the newspaper with advertisements and pollute the airwaves with commercials (hint: Romano) LOL.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:03 PM

I've heard good things about Lowery too. My mother got a Jeep from there and the service seems to be good. Same with Crest Cadillac right down the street(Automobile Row on West Genesee Street for the OP), as my parents have had a couple of Cadillacs and have had positive experiences there. Fox in Auburn seems to be OK.

Summit is another conglomerate in the car dealership industry in the area. Preowned Inventory Syracuse | Westvale | Lakeland | Fayetteville | Auburn | SUMMIT Used Cars

Dodge RAM Ford Lincoln Chevrolet Buick GMC Syracuse Auburn New York | Summit | Lakeland | Westvale | Fayetteville NY

Sun is another one. Syracuse NY New Chevy & Used Car Dealer | Used Car King

FX Caprara up north and Carbone in the Utica-Rome area are a couple more close by. Can't forget Fuccillo too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area