Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:48 AM

12 posts, read 18,996 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are relocating to Syracuse in July and have been desperately trying to find a nice place in a safe neighborhood that will allow our 80lbs Labrador. It seems extremely difficult which is sad because our dog is perfectly trained and has never damaged anything in any of the homes we rented.

So we found that the 319 Lofts on S.Salina St allow dogs. Now my question would be, is it in a safe/nice neighborhood? Are there any parks around for my dog? We've never been to Syracuse, so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,386 times
that area has come a long way, but not enough that I would want to live there.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:38 PM

107 posts, read 219,394 times
I live less than a block from that building and love living in that area. That being said, the front door to your building is directly in front of the main bus transfer station for the city. The bus station draws a lot of unsavory characters, mainly during business hours. I commute out of downtown for work, and also live around the corner away from the main bus station, so my front door doesn't see nearly as much riff raff as the building you're looking at.

But... the bus station is scheduled to move 4 blocks away by mid-July. It's difficult to predict what Salina St will look like at that point in time, but i think the general consensus is that it will be a massive improvement over the current situtation.

As far as dog-walkability, it's definitely not ideal, but nonetheless i see many people in the area daily walking large dogs, so it's not impossible. The area surrounding armory square or near the MOST is probably your best bet for dog walking.

I'd personally recommend it to my friends, but it's tough to make a recommendation not knowing much about your background. Age? Are you working downtown?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:57 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Maybe you could find something here: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Old 06-26-2012, 01:19 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
I am sure you could also walk your dogs along the newly open Creekwalk from Armory Square to Franklin Square to Onondaga Lake (Destiny USA). Downtown Syracuse is rapidly becoming an urban neighborhood. Residential occupancy rates are at 99% capacity, they cannot build them fast enough. It's becoming an amazing neighborhood, with Armory Square (includes Urban Outfitters, Starbucks, etc.), the Museum of Science and Technology, the Red House Arts Center, Connective Corridor (under construction), Creekwalk, WCNY's Broadcast and Education Center (under construction), Near West Side (SALT District), Lankmark Theatre (recently renovated and expanded), Marriot's new Inns at Armory Square (under construction), Cafe Kabul, etc. right in your immediate "back yard". Plus, you are in close proximity to the University Hill area, you can take a free Connective Corridor bus to the "hill" and visit Marshall Street, SU games, the Dome, cultural activities, etc. The new CENTRO Transfer Hub that syr83 mentioned is almost complete at the corner of Adams Street and S. Salina Street. I just found this on syracuse.com

http://blog.syracuse.com/entertainme...tml#incart_hbx

Last edited by urbanplanner; 06-26-2012 at 01:36 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 02:16 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Residential occupancy rates are at 99% capacity, they cannot build them fast enough.
Do you have a source for this? I would love to read it.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Look around the 5th paragraph: Downtown Syracuse goes from retail to residential | Paramount

You can find more here in this search: 99% occupancy for downtown syracuse residential units - Google Search

Old 06-26-2012, 02:26 PM

580 posts, read 1,173,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Downtown Living Tour includes three new projects | syracuse.com

It's a number that's routinely cited.

I can add that 319 Salina is an interesting location - convenient to everywhere (and an easy 25-minute walk, not just a bus ride, away from University Hill), but with no shortage of riff-raff out front (at least for the time being). That said, it's a busy block and doesn't feel unsafe, per se. Just a bit, uh, aesthetically lacking in terms of the human component.

Doubt it's a very dog-friendly neighborhood, though. Too urban. Syracuse doesn't have much in the way of dog amenities; so many residents have homes with yards that there isn't a lot of demand. The Creekwalk is nice, but it's also paved (and we have leash laws in effect everywhere).

Old 06-26-2012, 02:35 PM

107 posts, read 219,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
I can add that 319 Salina is an interesting location - convenient to everywhere (and an easy 25-minute walk, not just a bus ride, away from University Hill), but with no shortage of riff-raff out front (at least for the time being). That said, it's a busy block and doesn't feel unsafe, per se. Just a bit, uh, aesthetically lacking in terms of the human component.
Well said.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:38 PM

Another area to possibly look into is Tipperary Hill. Pass Arboretum seems to be a common area where dog owners take their dogs. James Pass Arboretum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Burner Park is in the neighborhood too: City of Syracuse - Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs

What is your rent range?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area