U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 10:31 AM
_V_ _V_ started this thread

19 posts, read 119,342 times

Advertisements

My son is moving to the area next month, and I'm wondering if there is anything special that needs to be done to "winterize" his car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 02:05 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,509,024 times
Well its about 90 out now and will be about the same in a month so no special worring.

In afew Months he may wanna look at a couple things if coming from a warmer area. Once its done for NY it never needs to be done again. If its a late model car it should be fine.

Make sure the cooling system is protected down to -30 or better.

Make sure the battery is in excellent condition. If any doubt replace it with extreme prejudice.

If rear wheel drive have a towing service on speed dial.

If front drive make sure the tires are at least good. Snow tires are in fact better but not absolutely needed.

Thats about it. They make winter wiper blades and I have had them but can't see as they are worth it. Smart people up here pull the wipers out on icy days anyway.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:06 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,632,741 times
Good advice from Sean. Also depends what kind of car your son has. I have a 4WD Ford Escape with a remote starter - I don't need to do a darn thing to prepare it for winter, which is what I was aiming for when I bought it

Old 07-06-2012, 01:46 PM

405 posts, read 1,265,851 times
I disagree about the need for winter tires if any hills are to be encountered. Last winter's October surprise snow event (it snowed about 3" of very wet stuff in about 15 minutes south east of Syracuse) caught me without winter tires on my all season equipped front wheel drive car. I could not make it up the hill in front of my house until the snow melted. IMO, winter tires are much cheaper than body work, get a set of dedicated wheels and tires and have them changed at the beginning of the season. As an additional benefit, your regular tires will last that much longer.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:46 AM

1,638 posts, read 2,591,559 times
Winter tires are an extremely great investment for your car. I second this whole heartedly, no matter what kind of vehicle you have. Your car doesn't have to work "as hard" to compensate for the snow, and your tires will also last longer.

The best way to "winterize" is to drive according to the conditions, even if you have winter tires. I'm surprised to see people every year flying down the thruway in their trucks, thinking they are indestructible in a blizzard. A few times I have seen these people a few miles down on the side of the road.

Be careful and get those tires!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or